Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a fierce predator you’ve got there!

I’ve been able to teach Neo how to count to three, open and close the fridge, walk beside me off leash, recycle water bottles, put his toys away, and all sorts of “tricks”...cover his eyes, roll over, shake hands, etc.

but if he sees a squirrel...oh boy.
I had an incident in the front yard off leash... neighbor was walking by with a retriever type of dog. Argyle got the "I wanna go over there stance" and got three steps into a sprint before I said "NO!" and he froze. Never took his eyes off them but turned his ears back to me. I was proud of him.

I really need to do more training with him. He knows lots of words, I just havent taught him many tricks. He knows outside, inside, mail(loves going to get the mail), truck, ride, treat, eat, dinner, breakfast, up, down... you know basic commands. He can figure out what i want him to do most of the time. As far as "real tricks," we do sit, shake and lay down.

How do you teach a Scottie to open the fridge when the handle is 2' over his head?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an incident in the front **** off leash... neighbor was walking by with a retriever type of dog. Argyle got the "I wanna go over there stance" and got three steps into a sprint before I said "NO!" and he froze. Never took his eyes off them but turned his ears back to me. I was proud of him.

I really need to do more training with him. He knows lots of words, I just havent taught him many tricks. He knows outside, inside, mail(loves going to get the mail), truck, ride, treat, eat, dinner, breakfast, up, down... you know basic commands. He can figure out what i want him to do most of the time. As far as "real tricks," we do sit, shake and lay down.

How do you teach a Scottie to open the fridge when the handle is 2' over his head?
I’ve always wanted a Scotty. I ended up with aussies somehow instead. Maybe the terrier drive is what kept me away. Then again... aussies. Lol. I mean, look at all that drive, sitting in front of the heater. Rough and tough cattle dogs right here, buddy.
E1EE0C02-837B-40F5-9BD7-9DFA023DCBD1.jpeg
B212AF68-C5C6-46A4-85EB-050D6F2DCC06.jpeg
4664F56C-0279-49F5-8700-1ECBAF34C544.jpeg
16FA30E2-14DC-469D-B3BD-7E529BF62A83.jpeg
22F3F431-269E-4A18-BF71-BABC7CA0F28D.jpeg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted a Scotty. I ended up with aussies somehow instead. Maybe the terrier drive is what kept me away. Then again... aussies. Lol. I mean, look at all that drive, sitting in front of the heater. Rough and tough cattle dogs right here, buddy.
E1EE0C02-837B-40F5-9BD7-9DFA023DCBD1.jpeg
B212AF68-C5C6-46A4-85EB-050D6F2DCC06.jpeg
4664F56C-0279-49F5-8700-1ECBAF34C544.jpeg
16FA30E2-14DC-469D-B3BD-7E529BF62A83.jpeg
22F3F431-269E-4A18-BF71-BABC7CA0F28D.jpeg
I LOVE scotties. The terrier drive is what makes me love them. Mastiff additude in a 25ish pound dog. Oh, and Scotties have full grown dog teeth too, the better to eat you with my dear. His teeth are bigger than our 45ish pound collie mix.

I may be slightly obsessed with my dog.

20191214_121818.jpg
20191214_121543.jpg
20191214_121520.jpg

This was my grandmother's magnet. It fell and broke a few yeas ago :( but I super glued the pieces back together.

20191214_121604.jpg

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an incident in the front yard off leash... neighbor was walking by with a retriever type of dog. Argyle got the "I wanna go over there stance" and got three steps into a sprint before I said "NO!" and he froze. Never took his eyes off them but turned his ears back to me. I was proud of him.

That’s impressive! Neo has a mind of his own sometimes. To open the fridge: practice tug of war (teach him the “pull” command) and then tie the rope you were using to the fridge handle. To make it easier for him at first, you can tape straws to the side of the fridge to help break the seal a little. If you have a mat of some sort to put down over the floor to help give him some traction that will help too.

ultimately we moved away from “pull” and go with “open it!” And “close it”

Neo is 45+ pounds and can barely open the fridge without assistance, but we have slick hardwood floors.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is Daisy, our Heinz 57 rescue. I'm positive she's part collie. She's a sweet girl, and more intelligent than she lets on... but nowhere near as obedient as Argyle. She knows "sit pretty," shake and lay down. Also, she knows how to completely ignore you when you tell her to come back inside, and how to slip thru the garage door and bolt off thru the neighborhood about once a month.

20191214_122431.jpg

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find Amazon a complete joke for anything reefing related, especially here in Canada, prices are ALWAYS higher than ordering from an online reef store. I was looking at RODI systems lastnight and Spectrapures systems are $150-600 more than getting them from even Spectrapure and paying shipping and border fees.

To be fair I hate amazon and don't typically order anything from them. The ODD item I've found and ordered but it's a great struggle to get me to hit the purchase button.
Amazon used to be the cheapest thing going because they were operating at a loss to kill their competitors. I have found that my lfs has the same to cheaper than Amazon pricing for reefing gear. Support your LFS!

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm currently drinking at the house. Uhhh, Beyond Black is the bag I have. Just Black was the last bag and it was WONDERFUL.

CAUTION!!! It may be too American for you to handle. :D

Heard about Black Rifle coffee on Joe Rogan. Meant to try it, never got around to it. Maybe its time to order some up

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four layers in to the cholla wood. I think on the left? I’ll add this, rotala walichii. One of the prettiest freshwater plants. The colors are amazing! Probably behind that, center left I’ll do mini alternatheria reinekii. The shrimp will be sitting on a piece of propped up cholla. The one in the left will be a royal blue OEBT and the one on the right an orange Sakura. Still I have a ton more to do. Anyone wanna work on it for me? Lol
F1348D20-478E-43CA-8AD9-88945F565C50.jpeg
CB092EE1-11EC-4C7E-99F2-69C9E46C111B.jpeg
729574CA-1524-4BA5-84AC-02FAD79CDD24.jpeg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon used to be the cheapest thing going because they were operating at a loss to kill their competitors. I have found that my lfs has the same to cheaper than Amazon pricing for reefing gear. Support your LFS!
I always support the brick and mortar fish guys. So much knowledge and expertise there, plus the experience of going to the store and seeing the fish... the hobby would suffer without them. Imagine if the only thing we had anymore were the retail chain stores... ;Vomit

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the phosphate thing it definitely helps algae grow so it makes sense other things would grow .. which im starting to get some red in sump I'm sure because of it. I'm not sure how your getting a 20x1 ratio. That seems a much closer than thought. If phosphate is .25ppm than nitrate needs to be under 5ppm that seems like really high phosphate and low nitrate.. am I not following on something. What are your phosphate nitrate levels?

Well don’t look at it from the lens that “phosphates = growth”, that will get you into trouble.

First look at the balance and interaction of nitrate and phosphate on a corals zooanthelle.

When there is excess nitrate, it cuts the symbiotic relationship of the coral passing nitrate to the zooxanthelle, in turn the zooxanthelle passes less sugars to the coral.

Secondly, as the studies indicate, corals can tolerate very phosphate levels but they can’t tolerate high nitrate. So if you have a coral that’s bleaching and/or has low polyp extension, the most likely culprit is phosphate deficiency.

When the balance of n/p was below 20, a coral is significantly more sensitive to light and will bleach. Phosphate starvation is the cause of this, not a biproduct. So in this scenario, I’d always drop nitrates specifically, or raise phosphates.

I posted a few articles outlining how all of this works in better detail.

The nitrate levels in my tank hover at .5-1. Phosphate is typically around .015-.3.

I don’t get algae because my nitrate rarely breaks 2 so algae doesn’t get the chance to use the phosphates but the corals do.

Last edited:

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals aren’t the only form of life in our tanks though. A lot of the recommended numbers aren’t necessarily the most optimum solutions for anything specific, but rather an environment that everything can be healthy in.

Ex: it’s recommended that nems need Nitrates of 5 or less.

another ex: my Goni comes from Indonesia, and would be happy in 82 degree water. Do I keep my tank at 82? Absolutely not lol, because I also have fish and inverts that most definitely would not agree with that decision!

ex #3: high alk, coupled with high Ca can grow SPS faster. But that’s a difficult path to walk, and easier to have a crash.

conclusion: recommendations aren’t natural laws, but are usually a good idea for most people in most situations.

You’re once again seeing this as me making a recommendation on levels, I’ve never done such a thing.

Simply providing data that shows what the cause of coral bleaching and low polyp extension is in the majority of cases.

After reading all night essentially, the vast majority of coral bleaching is from phosphate deficiency and something people need to take more seriously.

The more you know, the better your reef tank will be.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back