Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our little tree.

01F56F56-6992-43D6-A12C-E35D5D1EB6D9.jpeg

I put my mom’s big tree together last night. It has the revolving base on it like @sfin52 has. This tree has been in our family for over 30 years.

285B7414-298D-4DAE-AF14-9C1044C5F1C7.jpeg

It will end up looking like this...

549AF07D-6995-4B21-AA00-E296F9B9A2F6.jpeg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast can you get that baby spinning and can I ride on it?
Not a Merry-Go-Round! LOL! It turns really slowly. Bad news is you have to decorate the tree all the way around, even if it is in the corner. Lots of stuff goes on that tree. We were a little late getting it up this year.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made an algae pouch for my little blenny. She hasn’t seen it yet. Hard to see from the angle but I cut a hole about center. Hopefully it’s not too big and also I hope she really likes it because sewing with fishing line and bad hands can be a really big pain.
C49F0419-E7FA-4D68-B5EE-640B47EF6144.jpeg
5952161C-8B0C-4855-B307-0CA5E43C8A8F.jpeg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas lights are great until they don't work.
NO KIDDING! ERRR I spent over an hour looking for the ONE and gave up and in a fit of passion got out the wire cutters. That is all right the tree looks better without lights anyway...there I said it! LOL:rolleyes:;Happy

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our little tree.

01F56F56-6992-43D6-A12C-E35D5D1EB6D9.jpeg

I put my mom’s big tree together last night. It has the revolving base on it like @sfin52 has. This tree has been in our family for over 30 years.

285B7414-298D-4DAE-AF14-9C1044C5F1C7.jpeg

It will end up looking like this...

549AF07D-6995-4B21-AA00-E296F9B9A2F6.jpeg

My parents had a tree they bought in the late fifties. It was aluminum and, yep, it was silver. It, too, had a white spinning base that also played music that sounded like a music box. It also had these lights that sat on springs and employed the use of huge spotlights. The spotlights neatly reached the temperature of the sun. I found out, very young, that if you spit on the bulb they exploded! I thought it to be very cool. I also found out that if you spit on the bulbs and they exploded an butt whipping quickly followed! My parents used that tree and base until about 10 years ago. My aunt and uncle also had the same tree only their's was light pink. Another aunt and uncle had one that was light blue. I think it was an Italian thing like plastic on the "good" furniture in a room where no one was allowed.

Now I cannot be the only one here that had an aluminum tree growing up. Feel free to admit it even though the other kids in the neighborhood might have made fun of you!

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My parents had a tree they bought in the late fifties. It was aluminum and, yep, it was silver. It, too, had a white spinning base that also played music that sounded like a music box. It also had these lights that sat on springs and employed the use of huge spotlights. The spotlights neatly reached the temperature of the sun. I found out, very young, that if you spit on the bulb they exploded! I thought it to be very cool. I also found out that if you spit on the bulbs and they exploded an *** whipping quickly followed! My parents used that tree and base until about 10 years ago. My aunt and uncle also had the same tree only their's was light pink. Another aunt and uncle had one that was light blue. I think it was an Italian thing like plastic on the "good" furniture in a room where no one was allowed.

Now I cannot be the only one here that had an aluminum tree growing up. Feel free to admit it even though the other kids in the neighborhood might have made fun of you!
Had one. Still love them.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wilsoni is pushing #2s that you could only dream of.

627996AE-70A7-4029-8C8D-583DA520C517.jpeg
Get him some toilet paper!!

My parents had a tree they bought in the late fifties. It was aluminum and, yep, it was silver. It, too, had a white spinning base that also played music that sounded like a music box. It also had these lights that sat on springs and employed the use of huge spotlights. The spotlights neatly reached the temperature of the sun. I found out, very young, that if you spit on the bulb they exploded! I thought it to be very cool. I also found out that if you spit on the bulbs and they exploded an *** whipping quickly followed! My parents used that tree and base until about 10 years ago. My aunt and uncle also had the same tree only their's was light pink. Another aunt and uncle had one that was light blue. I think it was an Italian thing like plastic on the "good" furniture in a room where no one was allowed.

I loved all parts of this story! Also: it’s a miracle anyone lived through Christmas in the 50s...that sounds like it should have burned down every house ;Hilarious

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get him some toilet paper!!

I loved all parts of this story! Also: it’s a miracle anyone lived through Christmas in the 50s...that sounds like it should have burned down every house ;Hilarious

A truly funny aspect of the aluminum tree is that it was considered the "safe alternative" to a real tree. Had anything come within a foot of those spotlights it would have burst into flames! However, it still was safer because of the string bulbs used to light real trees. You know the kind... the same ones people used on the outside of their houses. If you took them out of the socket and threw them on the street or sidewalk they would make a very cool popping sound. I only know about this because I read about the "popping sound" in a magazine once. Yeah, I read about it, that's it... ;)

Last edited:

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A truly funny aspect of the aluminum tree is that it was considered the "safe alternative" to a real tree. Had anything come within a foot of those spotlights it would have burst into flames! However, it still was safer because of the string bulbs used to light real trees. You know the kind... the same ones people used on the outside of their houses. If you took them out of the socket and through them on the street or sidewalk they would make a very cool popping sound. I only know about this because I read about the "popping sound" in a magazine once. Yeah, I read about it, that's it... ;)
We are the same country that once manufactured glow in the dark watch hands using radioactive paint. Factory workers were encouraged to lick their paintbrush often in order to get the best application...

I bet it was so much fun to “read” about those popping sounds!

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol! The plastic on the good furniture wasnt just an Italian thing. My german and canadian native mixed grandmother did the same thing. When she passed her furniture was in terrific shape, although way out of style. There was also cash stuffed in the cushions, being a product of the depression.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDs are just not the same. Gotta get the warm whites. Last Christmas I ended up driving around to multiple Walmart’s, Lowe’s, Target, Home Depot’s, CVS’s...finally found enough.
Agreed, I had(have) a few strings of LED lights that just give me a headache. Bright blue white light and seems to blink so fast toy cant tell its blinking, but it seems like it is. (Do some research on that, AC current changes polarity 60 times a second in the US and LEDs are diodes. Diodes only allow current to pass in one direction,[diode rectifiers change AC to DC] thus cheap LED light strings blink really f ing fast)

Lowes had a display of lights above all the boxes so you could see what they all looked like. Warm white non blinking LEDs are where it's at.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I had(have) a few strings of LED lights that just give me a headache. Bright blue white light and seems to blink so fast toy cant tell its blinking, but it seems like it is. (Do some research on that, AC current changes polarity 60 times a second in the US and LEDs are diodes. Diodes only allow current to pass in one direction,[diode rectifiers change AC to DC] thus cheap LED light strings blink really f ing fast)

Lowes had a display of lights above all the boxes so you could see what they all looked like. Warm white non blinking LEDs are where it's at.

So, what you're saying is you don't like the strobe effect? Ohhh the strobe lights at some of the clubs I frequented in the 80's... playing The Cure (or something) tripping on life. Yeah, that's it, I was tripping on life! ;)

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what you're saying is you don't like the strobe effect? Ohhh the strobe lights at some of the clubs I frequented in the 80's... playing The Cure (or something) tripping on life. Yeah, that's it, I was tripping on life! ;)
Used to volunteer at a haunted house. Strobes do not bother me, until there are a few hundred of them on a tree in my living room and they are all blinking at 60hz.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back