Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A truly funny aspect of the aluminum tree is that it was considered the "safe alternative" to a real tree. Had anything come within a foot of those spotlights it would have burst into flames! However, it still was safer because of the string bulbs used to light real trees. You know the kind... the same ones people used on the outside of their houses. If you took them out of the socket and through them on the street or sidewalk they would make a very cool popping sound. I only know about this because I read about the "popping sound" in a magazine once. Yeah, I read about it, that's it... ;)
My grandparents had those huge bulb lights on a huge red tip bush in the front yard. They had grow into the bush I believe as they never came down for years... crazy thing was I was sure they were older than me and every bulb still worked. Im not sure how they didnt set the yard on fire knowing how my grandfather wired things up.

The florescent light in his shop kept tripping the breaker. So he cut the ground off the cord and plugged it back in. If you used the switch on the wall it was fine, but touch thre pull cord on the light and 1,000,000VAC(whatever those fluorescent ballast transformers put out) would run thru your hand and out your foot... shoes did not make a difference.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer :( stopped in to the pet food place hoping to at least price some of those aforementioned foods. He’s desperately seeking help, tanks are horrid, out of feeder mice and rats, no test kits. No coral foods. No real fish foods. Discus looked really bad. It was heartbreaking. I can’t get to Greenville to price theirs. Really sucks living in a small town and having a driving phobia.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My grandparents had those huge bulb lights on a huge red tip bush in the front yard. They had grow into the bush I believe as they never came down for years... crazy thing was I was sure they were older than me and every bulb still worked. Im not sure how they didnt set the yard on fire knowing how my grandfather wired things up.

The florescent light in his shop kept tripping the breaker. So he cut the ground off the cord and plugged it back in. If you used the switch on the wall it was fine, but touch thre pull cord on the light and 1,000,000VAC(whatever those fluorescent ballast transformers put out) would run thru your hand and out your foot... shoes did not make a difference.

I "loved" your post because of the nostalgic feeling it must conjure up in you. However, as most of us hopefully know; do not fool with electricity if you do not know what you're doing. If there is any doubt in your mind, hire an electrician. The horror stories I could share on things I've seen remodeling houses. It's amazing more house fires do not occur. Especially here in the Chicago market where metal conduit is code.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer :( stopped in to the pet food place hoping to at least price some of those aforementioned foods. He’s desperately seeking help, tanks are horrid, out of feeder mice and rats, no test kits. No coral foods. No real fish foods. Discus looked really bad. It was heartbreaking. I can’t get to Greenville to price theirs. Really sucks living in a small town and having a driving phobia.

That is sad. I truly hope he gets the needed help as I deplore seeing small businesses fail.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought of applying but stopped short because “must be able to lift over 50lbs and must be able to comfortable handle reptiles”

Imagine the fun you would have handling a 50lb reptile though... no sense of adventure! Lol

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could make more than minimum wage a fish store job would be great.

Negotiation skills, my man. Negotiate payment in livestock!

I did this in the early 90's prior to opening my own aquarium set up and maintenance business.

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did this in the early 90's prior to opening my own aquarium set up and maintenance business.
I’d worry they would have the budget to pay honestly. One store shut down already due to not enough business, and this kne being such a shambled place I don’t see it lasting. The employees who knew what they were doing left, because the owner likes to cut corners.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I could be an A+ negotiator, and I doubt a fish store would really have the budget to pay me what I make now plus all the benefits I have.

Only bonus, never have to "work" again.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be an A+ negotiator, and I doubt a fish store would really have the budget to pay me what I make now plus all the benefits I have.

Only bonus, never have to "work" again.
Owner might say, "sorry, your over qualified. "

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having worked at a few pet stores, I will tell you that the frustration with how they run their business will sour the experience very quickly.

That is why I quit doing it. I vowed to own my own store when I could do it the right way and the best way to take proper care of the livestock. Also, I think store should be specialized. Reptiles or aquariums or small animals. Not all of them in one store.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! The plastic on the good furniture wasnt just an Italian thing. My german and canadian native mixed grandmother did the same thing. When she passed her furniture was in terrific shape, although way out of style. There was also cash stuffed in the cushions, being a product of the depression.

I’ve always used a fake tree.

Real trees are way too much work.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having worked at a few pet stores, I will tell you that the frustration with how they run their business will sour the experience very quickly.

That is why I quit doing it. I vowed to own my own store when I could do it the right way and the best way to take proper care of the livestock. Also, I think store should be specialized. Reptiles or aquariums or small animals. Not all of them in one store.

Agreed. I get so sad walking into a petsmart and seeing all the little guys coupes up.

There’s no way they’re able to competently take care of all of those animals :/

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh, I'm not so sure. You're going to have a fish store and are kind of reptilian! :p

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always used a fake tree.

Real trees are way too much work.
When I was little I always begged for a real tree. They set off moms asthma so it was t possible with her. However when I went to live with dad and his wife, my begging payed off. Dad went and got us a lovely live tree! We watered it when needed and took really good care of it. We woke up Christmas Day to thousands of praying mantids too XD

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was little I always begged for a real tree. They set off moms asthma so it was t possible with her. However when I went to live with dad and his wife, my begging payed off. Dad went and got us a lovely live tree! We watered it when needed and took really good care of it. We woke up Christmas Day to thousands of praying mantids too XD

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor snowflakes. Its final week at the college I service.
IMG_20191216_135412092.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back