Pretty boy!

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Why-Me
Working near Bevercreek, Yukon one summer just off the Al-Can watching cars and trucks go by headed North as I was waiting for the Heli to pick me up and drop me off at work. My son's and I watched a Cadillac pulling a trailer moving way to fast headed for a frost heave. We watched the trailer and car get airborne followed by a spectacular landing including sparks and lots of over correction. I was holding my sides laughing so hard...one should be very careful of the frost heaves on the Al-Can highway! At least we did not have to respond with the Heli and transport Ma and Pa Kettle to the hospital in Fairbanks (several hours away). Be careful out there and enjoy the ride!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Why-Me
Working near Bevercreek, Yukon one summer just off the Al-Can watching cars and trucks go by headed North as I was waiting for the Heli to pick me up and drop me off at work. My son's and I watched a Cadillac pulling a trailer moving way to fast headed for a frost heave. We watched the trailer and car get airborne followed by a spectacular landing including sparks and lots of over correction. I was holding my sides laughing so hard...one should be very careful of the frost heaves on the Al-Can highway! At least we did not have to respond with the Heli and transport Ma and Pa Kettle to the hospital in Fairbanks (several hours away). Be careful out there and enjoy the ride!

I’m sending one of my residents up there soon to do “remote” medicine any tips?

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, her skimmer came in! Bubble Magus C3.5. It's the only one we that would fit in the space I decided to use for the skimmer, without costing an exorbitant amount. The larger chamber in the back will be the fuge, with dragons breath and ulva. That way I can recycle nutrients some instead of just throwing out good angelfish food.

Oh and I got her a cheap Aqua Knight light so the she can enjoy it some, and to the fish have a proper day/night cycle. I'll throw it over a nano or something when we get better lights. I will say, it's a lot brighter than I thought it would be.

I think I have a few pictures... hang on.

Pre diatom algae bloom

20190414_203851.jpg

Bi color angel, had to sneak from the door. They still hide when you walk up. Also, diatoms.

20190417_183834.jpg

Skimmer!, gotta figure out some way to quiet it down. No rubber feet on the pump so the vibration is a bit much...

20190415_230433.jpg
I am running that same light temporarily. It's doing pretty well. It's good enough to get growth out of my lps. I think my zoas dont like the spectrum. If I turn up the lights they close up halfway through the day, and when I turned them down they started to brown out a bit.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. If anyone is looking to build a stand and is wanting a pocket hole jig for half the professional brand I recommend this one. After reading some negative reviews, I oiled the bit/bushing and set my drill to the slower speed. It works awesome. It's a Milescraft.
20190418_170301.jpg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sending one of my residents up there soon to do “remote” medicine any tips?
Carry Jungle juice for the mosquitoes and white socks. Bring netting and be prepared to wear long sleeves in the summer. If they are prone to hiking they might need knee high boots like muck boots cause the areas are very marsh like. Get bear spray and keep it on you at all times along with a whistle to call the bears to lunch...they like the flavor of bear spray it gives the humans a little kick as they chow down. LOL
Honestly it is one of the most remote parts of the world and in most cases you are outside the golden hour if injured. Bevercreek is a small spot on the Al-Can just short of the US border. Google Earth the border crossing and you can see the bourdry line running north and south. I surveyed 53 miles from the crossing both north and south. You will be able to see the 20' wide line I surveyed and my boys worked the crew that cut the line. Incredible experience and you could easily die within site of the highway and never make it there in time due to the tussocks grass and water table.
If they are on the Canadian side you can only carry a rifle or shotgun with slugs for the bears...Canada does not allow hand guns at least not on our crews.
Where exactly are your residents headed?

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carry Jungle juice for the mosquitoes and white socks. Bring netting and be prepared to wear long sleeves in the summer. If they are prone to hiking they might need knee high boots like muck boots cause the areas are very marsh like. Get bear spray and keep it on you at all times along with a whistle to call the bears to lunch...they like the flavor of bear spray it gives the humans a little kick as they chow down. LOL
Honestly it is one of the most remote parts of the world and in most cases you are outside the golden hour if injured. Bevercreek is a small spot on the Al-Can just short of the US border. Google Earth the border crossing and you can see the bourdry line running north and south. I surveyed 53 miles from the crossing both north and south. You will be able to see the 20' wide line I surveyed and my boys worked the crew that cut the line. Incredible experience and you could easily die within site of the highway and never make it there in time due to the tussocks grass and water table.
If they are on the Canadian side you can only carry a rifle or shotgun with slugs for the bears...Canada does not allow hand guns at least not on our crews.
Where exactly are your residents headed?

They will be stationed in Fairbanks but will be working outside of Delta Junction. I teach rural medicine at the medical school and the wilderness and remote medicine/survival courses. Sort of a combo of my military, veterinary and medical careers all in one.
But I’d like to hear what you do and what your adventures were.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll snap some pics from the Arch tomorrow.
My daughter saw it today and gasped, couldn't believe how tall it is. Told her we're going to the top to look down on the city and the river. The wheels started to turn and instantly she got scared of the thought of being up that high. It will be a blast!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running that same light temporarily. It's doing pretty well. It's good enough to get growth out of my lps. I think my zoas dont like the spectrum. If I turn up the lights they close up halfway through the day, and when I turned them down they started to brown out a bit.

I actually think 2 of these would be enough for her needs. I'm going to keep her on the easier corals. So she doesn't get upset when harder ones dont do well or die, and so I dont have as much work. I might check it with the Seneye, but I don't really trust the accuracy with it.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be stationed in Fairbanks but will be working outside of Delta Junction. I teach rural medicine at the medical school and the wilderness and remote medicine/survival courses. Sort of a combo of my military, veterinary and medical careers all in one.
But I’d like to hear what you do and what your adventures were.

I was minding my own business one day and a friend called to ask me if I knew about three guys who had passports and could travel for 6-8 weeks. I had worked for him when I was like 30 a couple of summers doing tree planting, slashing, hand built fire line, and slash burn contracts. Very hard work and very mental to keep moving after the body is spent...I know you know what I mean due to your military background. Anyway I had the bad manners to say my boys and I had passports...whatup? Next day the boys were in Hayden,ID packing to drive the Al-Can to the work site. 42 hours of chain driving and they are at Border City RV just on the US side of the border. I finished up some work in my shop and jumped in the crew carrier headed to Seattle and a flight to Anchorage with the Hispanic clear cutting crew. The Canadian government would not allow the Hispanics to stay over night in Canada ever! So we flew to Anchorage and the boss drove a van up to pick us up.

I was teamed up with a real surveyor who trained me for one week to take the lead as the person responsible to survey the international boundary between Canada and the United States. We were under contract with Canada for this section of the border. We would Heli into the line each day and set up the GNSS equipment and connect with Russian and American satellites to run the survey. The terrain was brutal with a 60lb pack and muck up to my buttocks some days. I am over 6' so that is some boot sucking muck. I was 52 at the time and not at the top of my game! Sometimes we would have to cut LZ's with a machete and a small professional tree trimmers saw (about 8 lbs) before we could Heli out of the line. Anyway I am boring you all to death!

I own my own business fabricating Corian solid surface counters, showers, and Corian Quartz and granite counters. Before that I built aquariums and sold them in five states in the Northwest. Prior to that I managed dental labs and worked as a dental technician. I have worn lots of hats but never found one that was just right! LOL!

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back