Brand new reef ready tank leaking at overflow

Gatorj31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased a new Marineland 90g corner overflow tank and filled with water tonight. As the tank was filling there was water shooting into the overflow section from the edge of the overflow box about 4” from the bottom. I figured it might not be a problem and kept filling to test it out. Well it is a problem. The whole tank now drains down to the height of my drain pipe. I tried cutting another drain pipe closer to the top of the water line but then I got really bad siphon noise.

I don’t know what to do. Thought about calling the lfs where I got it and try to get a new one or calling marine land. Also thought of just trying to put silicon where it’s leaking. From the looks of it only the display side of the overflow has silicon but not the inside of the overflow section. It’s been the longest process just getting to this point only to have it leak on first test fill.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's why we leak test. Better now than when sump overflows. Seems relatively minor (compared to leaking panel seam). I would think it's an easy diy fix. I'm pretty picky about looks so if I didn't think I could do it and very closely match new look I'd try to return.

4" from bottom may make fix less noticeable as well.

I would check very closely all other seals so there aren't several things you're not happy with and not just this one. Might also call LFS for their input.

I know it's frustrating waiting and finally getting tank wet only to have to wait longer. Remember though when making decision you'll likely have this for years.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact the store, let them know and document your conversation.
Make sure you have all the receipts in the event that you decide to keep it and know exactly when your warranty is up.
You have to make a decision, fix it yourself or have it replaced.
No one wants a brand new tank to leak but this is an easy fix.
Your call. I would be upset and would want compensation for having to repair their brand new tank.

Back