Brandon's 2?? tank build

brandon2432

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought a couple pieces of 3/4 birch plywood today. I made my cuts and need some two part epoxy silicone to glue the corners. I have cut it 72"x30"x24". so what ever that comes out to in gallons. My 125 will be for sell to help pay for some lights. I want what Paul has. I have finally been turned.lol I am thinking about using 1/4" lexan to line the back, sides, and bottom and 3/4" acrilic on the front. I any suggestions appriciated.

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon and I tried to tell you about radiums when we were at your swap. Glad youre switching. The tank sounds cool maybe next year at the swap we can check it out.

dsm_john

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lexan (polycarbonate) is generally stronger, less stiff (not so much of a concern considering it's a fish tank), and much tougher (can absorb more energy/impact/etc before breaking). it also seems harder than acrylic (less likely to mar/scratch). i guess my question is, why use such a thick piece of acrylic on the front? also, i am wondering why not use the thickest piece on the bottom? the bottom piece sees all of the support and tank loads, meaning it's also put into bending, not just pressure (stiffness is more of a concern here too, but can easily be accounted for - use a thicker piece if need be and more supports in the base design).

all those property generalities were pulled from matweb.com and can vary greatly depending upon the polymer grade. also remember, i have no experience or studies in building tanks, so my question is also to learn a bit myself. it just seems that the polycarbonate would be a better choice for the entire tank build, granted 1/4" is thick enough with a safety factor to not fail under the tank loadings and accidental bumps.

OP
OP
B

brandon2432

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tankbuild001.jpg
<br>
tankbuild002.jpg

OP
OP
B

brandon2432

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lexan is just lining the wood on the back, sides, and bottom the front window will be cut out and the thicker acrilic or lexan will be there. Any suggestions where to get the 3/4 acrilic. By the way the tank is 225 gallons.

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a place on Airport Road in Birmingham, AAA Plastics, I believe. They carry just about any thing you could need as far as plastic goes. That is where I get my Acrylic glue from.

dsm_john

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhhh. that's cool. it'll be a neat tank. are you going to be doing a wall mount, or an all wood tank/stand/canopy?

OP
OP
B

brandon2432

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going in the wall. I would like to get $450 for the light and the extra bulbs and $300 for the tank hood and canopy will take $650 for both together but must be flexable on the timing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brandon2432

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to fiberglass the tank after a little research. So I got the front cutout and the bottom fiberglassed today will post pics soon.

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well despite my help it looks like this tank might actually work. I did everything i could to make him throw it together i thought it would be more fun if it didnt worked but he didnt liked that idea

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, if you are helping, maybe Brandon can tell you just how much weight your floor can handle upstairs, or brace it for you. Tell your better half that you're going to turn the washer/dryer area into an inwall, you could have your RO/DI right there! A drain, everything.

:)

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, if you are helping, maybe Brandon can tell you just how much weight your floor can handle upstairs, or brace it for you. Tell your better half that you're going to turn the washer/dryer area into an inwall, you could have your RO/DI right there! A drain, everything.

:)

Thats what I have been telling him. She just doesn't want to carry the laundry up the stairs. I told her that Paul should do all the carrying.:wink:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back