Breaking news on Apex

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But for you all you need is but the full head unit @350
With just the head unit i wouldnt get power monitoring. If I am wrong then cool but that was my understanding. I also see the new ph probe as a bonus since mine is kinda old. Thats just my own opinion on that.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if you add in the eb832 then it's same as the El why settle for less :)

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question sort of off topic, I would like to see a Buss hub, I am sort of out of ports on mine do to my RODI is on the garage 45 feet away then I loose another on my feeder 15 foot away. I would gladly pay for a futon subscription

eb_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question sort of off topic, I would like to see a Buss hub, I am sort of out of ports on mine do to my RODI is on the garage 45 feet away then I loose another on my feeder 15 foot away. I would gladly pay for a futon subscription

Why can't you chain addons together? is there a limit?

jonmos75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok there are 3 from the Eb8 bar it has a power supply in it for the Buss so everything else is through 1 port 2 dos 2 atk 1 vdm 1 Adm so I am out of loops

It is impossible to run out of AquaBus ports. There will always be at least one available AquaBus port. Every module has at least two AquaBus ports so that you can keep daisy chaining the modules. Some modules have more then 2 AquaBus port like the EB8 (8 ports), EB4 (4 Ports), & EB832 (3 Ports)

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is impossible to run out of AquaBus ports. There will always be at least one available AquaBus port. Every module has at least two AquaBus ports so that you can keep daisy chaining the modules. Some modules have more then 2 AquaBus port like the EB8 (8 ports), EB4 (4 Ports), & EB832 (3 Ports)
Well yeah you can sort of, yes I could buy long cables and run them back, but I would rather not. I have a modual that is at least 45 feet away from my Apex, sure I could run a cable back from it but would rather not. So there is one down, then my feeder is 20 foot away, yes I could run a cable all the way back but I would rather not, so there is 2 down.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we do have a hub of sorts. It’s called the EB8 or EB4. With 6/4 AB ports, they will give you 5 or 3 AB free ports respectively.

I’m not a tech guy so forgive me if this is a stupid question - but given that you can use any standard unpowered USB cable to make aquabus connections, is there not some kind of third party USB hub (made for non-apex use) that he could use to meet his needs? Probably no but figured I’d ask.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - in an effort to get some actual user feedback onto this thread:

I’ve been running the ApexEL for about a month and definitely recommend it. It’s straightforward and meets my expectations. As an apex classic user, the upgraded local and fusion interfaces are a huge improvement. It’s really just the new 2016 brain minus some hardware (which I already have the modules to make up for) so I think we all more or less know what to expect. I was able to get setup with minimal delay and have not had any issues (including a week out of town). I’m looking forward to being able to seamlessly integrate WAV and DOS as well as the upcoming trident.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a tech guy so forgive me if this is a stupid question - but given that you can use any standard unpowered USB cable to make aquabus connections, is there not some kind of third party USB hub (made for non-apex use) that he could use to meet his needs? Probably no but figured I’d ask.
No. This will not work.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - in an effort to get some actual user feedback onto this thread:

I’ve been running the ApexEL for about a month and definitely recommend it. It’s straightforward and meets my expectations. As an apex classic user, the upgraded local and fusion interfaces are a huge improvement. It’s really just the new 2016 brain minus some hardware (which I already have the modules to make up for) so I think we all more or less know what to expect. I was able to get setup with minimal delay and have not had any issues (including a week out of town). I’m looking forward to being able to seamlessly integrate WAV and DOS as well as the upcoming trident.

Great feedback, thanks!

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally find that most people who do not like these devices listening 24/7 also do not have a technical understanding of how these smart speakers work. There are a lot of people out there who fully understand what is happening on a technical level and are OK with it or just don't care at.

I am aware of the workarounds to get this functionally using IFTTT but decided that I probably wouldn't use it. Then I did my first maintenance after getting an Apex, couldn't unlock my phone because my hands were wet and thought "This is when it would be nice to be able to say 'hey google stop wave pumps.' "

OMG why would you say this when you know Terence is right there listening to everything!!! I am sure that Neptune Systems has thought about jumping on that subscription model gravy train like everyone else is doing these days but as a consumer I hate all subscription services. If given the choice I would rather pay more upfront and become a lifetime member than pay monthly indefinitely
^+1

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think adding novelty features, like Alexa support, is not something most users will use for this type of application.

Personally, I don't like those devices listening to what's going on at all times in my house. Yea, it only responds to key words, but it's always listening. I shut off the "OK Google" voice features on my phone also.

Removing the 0-10v ports was a bigger issue because that's what most 3rd party hardware operates on for any controllability... return pumps, lights, skimmers... correct?

Maybe to bring down hardware costs Neptune could implement a subscription service for Fusion and the app. Kind of how Microsoft and Sony do for their game consoles to operate online.

So reduce the price of hardware but charge $50/year for Fusion/app support. That covers your R&D for all of the software enhancements and can bring the price back down to earth without removing features that most people would use.

Wow, never thought I'd see the day someone actually advocated in favor of an ongoing subscription cost. That sounds absolutely awful. Sorry, not trying to be rude just kinda shocked to read that.

Neptune please don't do this.

I'm in the market for a controller soon and an added sub cost would be an absolute no go for me.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, never thought I'd see the day someone actually advocated in favor of an ongoing subscription cost. That sounds absolutely awful. Sorry, not trying to be rude just kinda shocked to read that.

Neptune please don't do this.

I'm in the market for a controller soon and an added sub cost would be an absolute no go for me.

So you would rather pay, hypothetically, $200 more for the controller than pay $300 for this new controller, instead of $500, with a $50/yr subscription? That $50/yr would be at least 4 yrs in the hobby before it cost you more than what the retail price is now. The average person lasts 2 yrs in this hobby. So it would actually benefit the majority of new controller customers.

My point was that it makes getting a controller more accessible to more people. And people can stomach a measly $50/yr, which equates to $4.16/month, if they're saving $200 off the price.

I bet if Neptune ran a trial of this, where you could buy the unit outright or do a subscription service with reduced cost (like getting a new cell phone almost), they would sell a lot more controllers. And again, I was meaning just for the online services, not $50/month to use the controller.

I actually think it would be good if they offered those two options when buying a controller. Obviously people who already bought the controller wouldn't pay a fee because they bought the unit outright.

Just my $.02 :):)

Last edited:

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you would rather pay, hypothetically, $200 more for the controller than pay $300 for this new controller, instead of $500, with a $50/yr subscription? That $50/yr would be at least 4 yrs in the hobby before it cost you more than what the retail price is now. The average person lasts 2 yrs in this hobby. So it would actually benefit the majority of new controller customers.

My point was that it makes getting a controller more accessible to more people. And people can stomach a measly $50/yr, which equates to $4.16/month, if they're saving $200 off the price.

I bet if Neptune ran a trial of this, where you could buy the unit outright or do a subscription service with reduced cost (like getting a new cell phone almost), they would sell a lot more controllers. And again, I was meaning just for the online services, not $50/month to use the controller.

I actually think it would be good if they offered those two options when buying a controller. Obviously people who already bought the controller wouldn't pay a fee because they bought the unit outright.

Just my $.02 :):)

Me personally I'd rather pay the $200 up front. I try to limit on going costs as much as possible. Much easier for me to come up with one time monies.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys, get this back on track. This thread is about the ApexEL. This subscription thing was raised earlier and as humorous aside I said it would be interesting to see the feedback on that. Of course it was as I expected and exactly the reason this is NOT a model now and is not something we ever foresee doing.

Now lets get back to the EL.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back