OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Everyone has their uses for controllers. There Tech Junkies as well. Imagine I'm still rocking the Galaxy S5, I have no use for their other products although I really thinks every item in their lineup has their role and purpose. But will I dish out the $$ for it? Absolutely not. There are many ways to Reef. To depend on technology also spoils the hobbyist and becomes lazy in other aspects. Like I said, I did it before without the tech. So I have the Classic for 2 years now. But I guess I waited too long to get one. Not investing any $$ on any other controller. I will not even update firmware so that i make sure it's still usable just as it is when Neptune decides to discontinue the classic support and secretly decide to sneak something in to make the unit less usable. There was a time I lost Internet for 2 weeks for hurricane Sandy. I had just gotten the system so i learned to manually make changes with the classic so I'm good. Good thing it came with the display unit.
Like I said I love the system but will I upgrade the system for things I won't even purchase because of price? No thank you.
Hope you are happy with yours, I'm happy with mine.

My outlook is a method of maintaining stability with light, feeding and wave schedules. Things get done the same time every day and even dry food feedings via AFS is done on a set schedule daily

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
+1 on PM2 for easy add on. The Apex 2016 is direct hookup- No module needed

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add the salinity probe to the EL model?
In my experience, the salinity probe is really not necessary. Beyond that, the Apex salinity probe is incredibly finicky and susceptible to interference and artifact. I have one on my 2016 Apex and virtually never look at it. I got the Hanna salinity tester and simply use it once a week when I'm doing water changes, but even with that I've never had the salinity be off enough to be of concern.

If you think about it, there are 3 basic ways your salinity can get off: Too much un-replaced evaporation, exogenous NaCl being added and too much fresh water from the ATO. For the first case, most people would notice, and the evaporation would happen slowly, giving the inhabitants a chance to adjust so it's highly unlikely that it would cause a critical failure. The only practical way for the second one to happen is if your doser goes haywire, but then your pH will be off, so you have another warning. For the last option, the Apex ATO programming limits the amount of RO/DI water added at any given time. For me, even if that fails and the entire 10 gallons gets added to my system, the SG would only drop by 0.02. Not ideal, but not a catastrophe by any means.

If you get the salinity probe with your system, great, but I wouldn't spend any extra money to get one.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back