BREAKING NEWS! We Have Officially Eradicated AEFW's With A 100% Reef Safe IN TANK Treatment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Welcome and keep us updated on your progress :)

Robmbush

View Badges
Reaction score
I just finished running a full course on my tank with about 220G total water volume (5 bottles total). Ran double dose for the first and fourth dose. Two weeks after the finish I'm still finding new eggs and some flatworms after dipping some corals. There are definitely less worms than before but they are still present in my system. Contacted support and they recommended upping the dose so I'm SOL on the first round. I'll update if I get more specific instructions.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just replied to your email now :)

Robmbush

View Badges
Reaction score
Here is the recommendation from UWC for the stubborn worms:
We have not found any worms that can live through a few triple doses. Generally extra double doses will do it but I would recommend doing a few triple doses.

Triple dose
Single dose
Triple dose
Single dose
Triple dose

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
day 21 report. I performed a water change yesterday and basted off all the corals in the display and frag tank. I didnt find any worms! I also inspected the frags in the frag tank closely for any eggs. I found a few eggs tucked away in hard to see areas that I believe that I missed before. I decided to dip my frag tank corals in a new product that I bought called coral defense. I dipped for the full 10 min dip and vigorously shook the corals after the dip. Good news I found no worms, bad news a dozen or so corals were almost stripped of their flesh. I think some will come back but are hurt pretty bad. Several are total goners. so what the worms didnt get I took care of. Added the forth dose tonight. I have enough to do a 5th dose but will not be the full 19oz needed for my system. should have about 15 oz for a 5th treatment. I dont feel I have lost any corals due to the treatment but I have lost color and p/e, which I am sure will come back after this is all over.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Great to hear :)

I have not heard of that dip before. Bummer to hear of the outcome with it.

Miles Laughton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It hasn’t worked for me, 1st treated the tank as per directions and found eggs after a month, then repeated treatment at double dose and extended the treatment to 7 weeks... found worms last week.
Lost quite a few colonies of Acro during treatment due to swings of po4 and Alk. Customer service good but seems this product doesn’t work on all AEFW.

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Day 23 update. Not sure why but the cloudiness went away by almost the second day after 4th treatment. Other treatments seemed to stay cloudy longer. I blew off all the corals in my display tank and am pretty sure one medium size worm came off one coral. The coral wasnt encrusted a lot so I pulled it out of the tank and to my disappointment I found a small cluster of eggs maybe only 6-12 eggs. After inspecting frags in the frag tank I found 3 or 4 frags with very small clusters of eggs. Looks like I might need to extend the treatment. I have enough purge for one full treatment and one half dose treatment. So week 5 will be a full dose and week six will be about 1/2 dose. Still having hopes this is going to work but looks like the egg cycle has to be beat with maybe longer treatment cycles.
Jeff

Last edited:

Miles Laughton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It hasn’t worked for me, 1st treated the tank as per directions and found eggs after a month, then repeated treatment at double dose and extended the treatment to 7 weeks... found worms last week.
Lost quite a few colonies of Acro during treatment due to swings of po4 and Alk. Customer service good but seems this product doesn’t work on all AEFW.

HOLD THE PHONE.......may have mature bugs but cant see any eggs....hopefully these worms live for a while after treatment...#watch this space!

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
HOLD THE PHONE.......may have mature bugs but cant see any eggs....hopefully these worms live for a while after treatment...#watch this space!
Seems to be a common trend. The large ones can live but not reproduce after. Good luck and keep us posted!

Dueholm78

View Badges
Reaction score
Dose 5 went in yesterday as the last dose of the modified dosing schedule I got from UWC.
Looking forward to seeing if it got rid of the little buggers and return to clear pristine water again. Will do a couple of big WC in a week or so and start working on those elevated phosphate levels. Hopefully I can return in a couple months and say that I'm worm free.

Francis000

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I started a treatment yesterday in my 150 gal reef tank after finding few worm a week ago while blasting my acros. I used the direction provided and did a double dose.

12 hrs later, the cloudiness has almost disappeared, no fish, snail, urchin nor fishe were harmed during the process. The ORP has significantly decreased when the product was added (from 688 to 408) and the PH when from 8.08 to 7.76.

I have a quick question for the peoples who had success with the product. Do we know how long it take to take down medium size AEFW.

This morning I blasted some acro and found two flatworms that were still pretty alive (8 mm long, 4 mm large). I took them out of the tank and started to do some tests.

Considering that the water in the aquarium already has the double dose (dosed yesterday). I took 150 ml of water and added 0.12 ml of purge to get the double concentration (with the concentration already in the tank that would represent a dose of 4 oz per 20 gallons).

I thought that the flatworm would die rather quickly but after 10 hrs, it is still alive. Do someone know the mechanism of action of the product, does it kill the worm or just stop it ability to reproduce and to lay eggs.

Do someone has details about the life stage of the AEWF? I am mostly interested in knowing how much time it takes for a worm to reproduce (from the time it hatches to the time it can lay eggs, and how long is the eggs stage). I understand that it may varies depending the water temp and other parameters, but I would like to get a estimated value.

I apologize if the question was already asked in the forum.

Best regards!

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Performed water change at day 27 and blew off corals. Found only one small worm and cant find any eggs. Today is day 28 and I added 2 bottles for a 5th dose. 6oz short of a double dose. I plan on one more dose after this one. I dont want to take any chances.
Hello folks,

I started a treatment yesterday in my 150 gal reef tank after finding few worm a week ago while blasting my acros. I used the direction provided and did a double dose.

12 hrs later, the cloudiness has almost disappeared, no fish, snail, urchin nor fishe were harmed during the process. The ORP has significantly decreased when the product was added (from 688 to 408) and the PH when from 8.08 to 7.76.

I have a quick question for the peoples who had success with the product. Do we know how long it take to take down medium size AEFW.

This morning I blasted some acro and found two flatworms that were still pretty alive (8 mm long, 4 mm large). I took them out of the tank and started to do some tests.

Considering that the water in the aquarium already has the double dose (dosed yesterday). I took 150 ml of water and added 0.12 ml of purge to get the double concentration (with the concentration already in the tank that would represent a dose of 4 oz per 20 gallons).

I thought that the flatworm would die rather quickly but after 10 hrs, it is still alive. Do someone know the mechanism of action of the product, does it kill the worm or just stop it ability to reproduce and to lay eggs.

Do someone has details about the life stage of the AEWF? I am mostly interested in knowing how much time it takes for a worm to reproduce (from the time it hatches to the time it can lay eggs, and how long is the eggs stage). I understand that it may varies depending the water temp and other parameters, but I would like to get a estimated value.

I apologize if the question was already asked in the forum.

Best regards!
From my experience the death isnt right away like normal out of tank dips. Keep the course of uwc plan. I blew off my corals every 3rd day or so, removed and inspected corals that I could for eggs. As the treatment progressed I found less and less worms and less and less new eggs. Remove any eggs you might find. I would also extend the treatment by a week or two. good luck.

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just found out today I have aefw. My frags were dying and thought it was due to low nutrients. I didn’t see any bite marks or eggs but decided to try and dip my frags. Instantly 30+ worms were blown off. I just threw away $1000 worth of acros because of this.
I’m really hoping this will kill off the rest of them before they destroy my mini colonies.

Francis000

View Badges
Reaction score
Performed water change at day 27 and blew off corals. Found only one small worm and cant find any eggs. Today is day 28 and I added 2 bottles for a 5th dose. 6oz short of a double dose. I plan on one more dose after this one. I dont want to take any chances.

From my experience the death isnt right away like normal out of tank dips. Keep the course of uwc plan. I blew off my corals every 3rd day or so, removed and inspected corals that I could for eggs. As the treatment progressed I found less and less worms and less and less new eggs. Remove any eggs you might find. I would also extend the treatment by a week or two. good luck.
Thanks a bunch for the tips! It is much appreciated!

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Update post treatment from a few months ago, AEFW still are in the tank and actively eating acros. Followed directions and tried additional stronger doses without success.

I’ll try blasting with freshwater every few days to keep them mobile and perhaps get eaten or stuck in filter media.

I would say this was a waste of money and time, and the potential for ALK swings with the product are worse than the flatworms are for coral health as that impacts all species not just acropora.

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
40 days in. I ended up doing 6 treatments total. I havent seen any worms or eggs since the 24th of april. It has been very stressful for myself and my corals. Fish and inverts have been totally unaffected. My skimmer has overflowed for the entire time of my treatments. I did a 100 gallon water change tonight. Water in the bucket had a brown tint to it still. I had hoped the water change would calm down my skimmer but it is still overflowing. For now purge appears to have worked for my system but I wont call it a success for several months from now and I am still worm free.

Robmbush

View Badges
Reaction score
Following up on my second attempt with updated treatment progress.

Triple dose - Done, worms still present after dose when basting corals.
Single dose - Done, worms still present after dose when basting corals.
Triple dose - Done, worms still present. Removed several majorly affected colonies, inspected and dipped and will be dipping weekly in addition to treatment. Eggs still present however in seemingly in smaller quantities. High number of worms present when dipped.
Single dose -Done today, Dipped several colonies again and found eggs still present as well as a few worms.
Triple dose - Final dose will be next Saturday -25th.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Curious about trying this product, does this look like aefw bites?

D37B4C9C-A0AF-44F4-9CFF-901A13745EB5.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%

Back