Breeding Tips for Trochus Snails?

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short story long.

I've never had too much success with trochus snails.

I have definitely found them hit or miss in terms of survival. I have two left from a batch of about 20 I bought 2 years ago, so I just bought another 20.

I've definitely improved my reefing skills and my tank over the past two years, so I'm hoping for some better results.

For example, I've plumbed in a refugium separate from the sump which has really helped grow chaeto without light spill turning the sump into a swamp!

I've also plumbed in a separate frag tank to keep the display free from frags along the sides and bottom of the tank.

Total system volume about 180g with a 125g display.

I also think my salinity is much more stable.

I put four of the trochus in my refugium of about 15g which is full with chaeto.

I'm hoping they might have a chance to breed without being disturbed by hermits or predator fish in the tank like my mandarin, red scooter or wrasses.

Any tips on getting that to happen or is it just a little luck?

Sort of forget about it, leave the snails alone and check back in 6 months.

Any tips appreciated.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was dumb luck. I started with 4. In 8 months I had 32. I split them up into all my tanks, however they only breed in the first tank. Not sure what the secret is to the success.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short story long.

I've never had too much success with trochus snails.

I have definitely found them hit or miss in terms of survival. I have two left from a batch of about 20 I bought 2 years ago, so I just bought another 20.

I've definitely improved my reefing skills and my tank over the past two years, so I'm hoping for some better results.

For example, I've plumbed in a refugium separate from the sump which has really helped grow chaeto without light spill turning the sump into a swamp!

I've also plumbed in a separate frag tank to keep the display free from frags along the sides and bottom of the tank.

Total system volume about 180g with a 125g display.

I also think my salinity is much more stable.

I put four of the trochus in my refugium of about 15g which is full with chaeto.

I'm hoping they might have a chance to breed without being disturbed by hermits or predator fish in the tank like my mandarin, red scooter or wrasses.

Any tips on getting that to happen or is it just a little luck?

Sort of forget about it, leave the snails alone and check back in 6 months.

Any tips appreciated.
I think it just takes luck and got to to give environment where they are getting the nutrition the need.
In the past I only kept astrea snails because I had a bare bottom tank. When I set up my 60 with sand, I needed snails that can flip themselves back over so I got about 10 trochus.
Mine have had babies numerous times over the last 6 months, But I don’t notice anything that stands out as to why.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back