Bretts 40g breeder build

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with Slip/threaded or even Slip/slip for the bulkheads. Using bulkheads with slip fittings on the flange side makes plumbing and adjusting the plumbing within the overflow box much easier. Obviously order the appropriate barb fittings... I would suggest atleast one section of PVC, ideally you can plumb it right off the sump to make mounting and adjusting a gate valve MUCH easier than trying to adjust the valve that's plumbed just into soft tubing....

If you go the threaded route, I will also suggest threaded paste, most companies do not reccomend using teflon tape on PVC threads. While it can be done, it requires EXTRA careful attention and lots of practice to get right..

Last edited:
OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with Slip/threaded or even Slip/slip for the bulkheads. Using bulkheads with slip fittings on the flange side makes plumbing and adjusting the plumbing within the overflow box much easier. Obviously order the appropriate barb fittings... I would suggest atleast one section of PVC, ideally you can plumb it right off the sump to make mounting and adjusting a gate valve MUCH easier than trying to adjust the valve that's plumbed just into soft tubing....

If you go the threaded route, I will also suggest threaded paste, most companies do not reccomend using teflon tape on PVC threads. While it can be done, it requires EXTRA careful attention and lots of practice to get right..

thanks I’ll keep that in mind i have so much extra pvc anyways around the house lol

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
be careful drilling that thin glass both tens and 40 ,have you ever drilled glass before??

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be careful drilling that thin glass both tens and 40 ,have you ever drilled glass before??
yep. Also my neighbor installs and drills yacht glass. He said he would help. He gets contracted on boats worth hundred million dollars needing a couple mil in glass work. I was Talking to him about it and he says because the glass isn’t tempered it will be super easy for him and I to complete.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey brett where are you located?

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, we just moved away from Ft Lauderdale back in December...couldn't take it there any more.not a bad place, just not our style.
Yeah it’s hit and miss for everyone. im born and raised here. We are a different breed.
me and my buddies are the crazy rednecks lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back