OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope things are well around the home and with Bailey. You and @Fudsey have been on my mind. Time heals all, if you let it. I didnt want to intrude on your original post, of the fishing trip, but I decided to share a pic with you of my late boy, Diesel, he was 6 and in his prime here. 5 years ago. Your photo reminded me of it.

Lake Sebago, Maine. Big hugs bud.
FB_IMG_1560689884690.jpg
FB_IMG_1560689874927.jpg

Dang I miss him.
Thank you for sharing. A good dog is such an amazing blessing and does so much to enrich our lives.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing. A good dog is such an amazing blessing and does so much to enrich our lives.

He was my life. They are unique with their impact on our lives. Cheers to them.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've been slacking on updates. I miss the days where I had more free time!

Other than algae, the tank is actually doing great. The SPS are starting to get their color back although I'm guessing it will take another month or two before they get back to where they were. Even though I've lost a few coral, I noticed 2 corals that my Hippo tang broke off the rock and moved into locations they are alive and should be retrievable from. Hope to get them glued back to where they belong soon.
I'm also in the nice position that my coral growth is finally taking off again and alk consumption is climbing. I've had to increase dosing by over 20ml of 2 part daily and demand is accelerating. I'm very grateful for my alk monitor and I'd likely have crashed my tank without it. I have it limited to adjusting my dosing by up to 6ml per day (up or down) so I've only had to make a manual adjustment once per week or so.

As long as nothing new comes up, I should have time to take some pictures Thursday night. I want to photograph just how bad the cyano is in some areas and the newest algae issue before I get it cleaned up. Tank lighting won't be optimal for pictures by that time but I can also at least show some of the new growth.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And of course, right after making the previous post I ran into an issue. My KH Director showed my alk to have dropped by over 1dkh today despite me ramping up dosing. Verified it with my Hanna checker and it was a dead match.

Of course, it quickly became obvious that my dosing container was empty. :rolleyes: My Profilux controller was still showing 10 days worth of solution so refilling was on my weekend to do list. My guess is that when the controller ramps up dosing due to adjustments from the KH Director that it does not accurately track usage.

Now I know... fortunately, I doubt it did any harm since it went empty less than 18 hours ago and my Kalkwasser was still being added.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#honestyinreefing

Here we go... I actually took some pictures. Most of my rock is covered in this, except where my CuC is most active. I'm very content to have this algae right now since it is starving out the other stuff and isn't hurting anything.
DSC_0018.jpg

Care to see my wonderfully clean sand bed?

DSC_0020.jpg

Or how about my shiny clean pumps?

DSC_0019.jpg

Crazy that my tank can look like this and I'm still pleased.... everything it has going on I can easily clean up once I have the time.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about some growth pictures? All of my zoas are doing fine. Most of my SPS have browned out but they are slowly coloring back up. Here's a few quick picks of what is doing the best.

Hard to tell from this picture, but this monti cap has exploded in size the last month.
DSC_0021.jpg

This milli was having trouble a bit ago and has rebounded nicely!

DSC_0024.jpg

This guy had gotten very pale but has returned to its deeper colors in the last few weeks. Unfortunately, it was a bit deflated when I took this.
DSC_0023.jpg

I haven't gotten the yellow back in the tips of this forest fire digi but its growing like a weed.

DSC_0022.jpg

Its about as good as I could do with my lights starting to dim in the limited time I have. Now I need to start doing some work on the tank!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the up and up I see. Always nice to see the rebound happen. That monti has a sweet pattern to it. And the milli looks like it's very happy, growing out nice and even!

Good stuff!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a busy day on the tank. I mixed up another gallon of each of the 2 parts so I could refill the dosing containers. Did a 30g water change. Cleaned the skimmate locker and the skimmer cup. Refilled the GFO reactor. Cleaned and refilled the Oxydator. Glued a few broken coral pieces to frag plugs and re-attached a few corals that had broken loose. My aquarium should appreciate the attention. I may even have it looking good again by the time MACNA rolls around.

As an aside... I was typing this while sitting by the pool and watching the Cubs game. We have a 0% chance of rain today. Except that it just started raining so I had to take cover under the patio. Go figure. Silly weather guessers......

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a busy day on the tank. I mixed up another gallon of each of the 2 parts so I could refill the dosing containers. Did a 30g water change. Cleaned the skimmate locker and the skimmer cup. Refilled the GFO reactor. Cleaned and refilled the Oxydator. Glued a few broken coral pieces to frag plugs and re-attached a few corals that had broken loose. My aquarium should appreciate the attention. I may even have it looking good again by the time MACNA rolls around.

As an aside... I was typing this while sitting by the pool and watching the Cubs game. We have a 0% chance of rain today. Except that it just started raining so I had to take cover under the patio. Go figure. Silly weather guessers......

What's your water change routine look like if I may demand it?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to change 25 to 30 gallons every 3 weeks.
See that's what I'm afraid of if I go bigger next time. Right now in doing 5g weekly water changes, mainly because I'm not dosing yet. When I do a "big" wc, it's usually 20g and that's barely 15%. Unless I decided to go the auto wc route, I dont think I'm going over a 200g with my next build. Manual water changes on large systems are a mule. I have toyed with the idea of hard plumbing with a pump from a mixing station, and a ball valve drain system on the sump, for 1 touch wc's as well. But if I go automated, I'll just let the Dosers do small 3g wc's daily or something. So many options.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that's what I'm afraid of if I go bigger next time. Right now in doing 5g weekly water changes, mainly because I'm not dosing yet. When I do a "big" wc, it's usually 20g and that's barely 15%. Unless I decided to go the auto wc route, I dont think I'm going over a 200g with my next build. Manual water changes on large systems are a mule. I have toyed with the idea of hard plumbing with a pump from a mixing station, and a ball valve drain system on the sump, for 1 touch wc's as well. But if I go automated, I'll just let the Dosers do small 3g wc's daily or something. So many options.
Definitely a challenge. 30 gallons is the most I can easily do, which is under 20%. With planning and extra work I can get it up to around 70g which is still under 50%. I think 45g is the biggest I have actually done.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a challenge. 30 gallons is the most I can easily do, which is under 20%. With planning and extra work I can get it up to around 70g which is still under 50%. I think 45g is the biggest I have actually done.

Yea no thanks. Ha

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too funny...

Just finished prepping this with my foster daughter.
(Niece)
Screenshot_20190729-194234_Video Player.jpg

Your crust/skin looks perfect. Do u dry rub or oil?
Great minds think alike!

I prefer to dry rub unless I have a good reason not to such as wanting to finish at a low temperature.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back