Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great man! My tank FINALLY hit production at SC aquariums, hopefully shipping february to get here! Still likely 2 months or so away from setup once it arrives however :( Love your convict tang btw

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew, get this. It will last you a lifetime and is fantastic. Get this exact one as some of their other glues in the smaller bottles are thin and not nearly as good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007...shies+glue&dpPl=1&dpID=41mFibi19EL&ref=plSrch

This is the glue I use as well. It works great!

I use the TLF glue too. Works great.
Now you guys tell me!!!! :rolleyes:

Loctite gel works really well
I've used this before and wish I would have gotten it again. Lesson learned. I'll probably pick up a bottle since I can get it locally and finish mounting those last few corals.

Then I'll stock up on the good stuff.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great man! My tank FINALLY hit production at SC aquariums, hopefully shipping february to get here! Still likely 2 months or so away from setup once it arrives however :( Love your convict tang btw
Wow, at least it isn't what is setting you back. I love the convict too. I know they aren't one of the more popular tangs but I absolutely love them. He also has the most personality in my tank and is an absolute photo bomber.

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the changes continue but I haven't had much to photograph. Last night I climbed up in the attic and installed some new 2x4 bracing above the aquarium so I can move my lighting from the shelf hangers to the ceiling. Just can't get shelf hangers long enough to center the lights on the tank.
The other big change from yesterday was installing the PLM-PWC card into the Profilux 4. One quick change to the light that was acting as the master and now my lighting is controlled by the Profilux. It was so easy that I didn't realize anything had actually connected. The only way I knew for sure it worked was to try and control the lighting itself. The entire process took under 15 minutes.

The Battlebox is not going to ship this week. Between bad weather and Adam being in overload we decided to put it off until next week. So, the Battleshelf will be empty for a few more days.

So I am trying to figure out what installing the PLM-PWC card gives me. Only advantage I see is for GHL Connect and less devices on My GHL. All that does is make the Profilux the master correct? Or am I missing something? Don't really plan on lots of changes to lighting as that's the #1 reason people I believe people complain about LEDs.. WAY too much tinkering.. Find a spectrum and leave it LOL!! The corals will adapt for the most part.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am trying to figure out what installing the PLM-PWC card gives me. Only advantage I see is for GHL Connect and less devices on My GHL. All that does is make the Profilux the master correct? Or am I missing something? Don't really plan on lots of changes to lighting as that's the #1 reason people I believe people complain about LEDs.. WAY too much tinkering.. Find a spectrum and leave it LOL!! The corals will adapt for the most part.
There is very marginal use for it. The one thing I really wanted to use it for isn't set up to work which is a bummer. The main reason I got it was to be able to program a "Maintenance Mode" button for taking pictures. The thought was I could not only set the best spectrum for photography, but also set the fixtures themselves to photo mode to eliminate the bars that can form some times. Unfortunately, there are still some features that can only be set by connecting directly to the light fixture, and photo mode is one of them. So, this idea went out the window. To change that, max fan speed, max intensity, and a few other things you need to connect directly to that specific light fixture.
Benefits really are minimal. Right now all it does is keep me from having to click on one connection setup on GCC. I don't regret having it, but I'm hoping they improve functionality in the future.

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is very marginal use for it. The one thing I really wanted to use it for isn't set up to work which is a bummer. The main reason I got it was to be able to program a "Maintenance Mode" button for taking pictures. The thought was I could not only set the best spectrum for photography, but also set the fixtures themselves to photo mode to eliminate the bars that can form some times. Unfortunately, there are still some features that can only be set by connecting directly to the light fixture, and photo mode is one of them. So, this idea went out the window. To change that, max fan speed, max intensity, and a few other things you need to connect directly to that specific light fixture.
Benefits really are minimal. Right now all it does is keep me from having to click on one connection setup on GCC. I don't regret having it, but I'm hoping they improve functionality in the future.

Gotcha, that makes sense... So I guess I will save the 70 bucks for now and put it towards something else, cause we all know there is always something else!

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, at least it isn't what is setting you back. I love the convict too. I know they aren't one of the more popular tangs but I absolutely love them. He also has the most personality in my tank and is an absolute photo bomber.
Nope, still need the overflow shipped from reef savvy, still need to buy plumbing once it arrives, still need to wash my sand (this i can do but havent cause lazy) and im in the air whether or not im going to bleach soak my rock or just toss it in the tank when it gets here

Hope you are still liking the mitras! I think i am leaning away from the aquatic life fixutre and may just buy the ghl light bar to fill in the gaps that the 2 mitras' leave on my setup

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, still need the overflow shipped from reef savvy, still need to buy plumbing once it arrives, still need to wash my sand (this i can do but havent cause lazy) and im in the air whether or not im going to bleach soak my rock or just toss it in the tank when it gets here

Hope you are still liking the mitras! I think i am leaning away from the aquatic life fixutre and may just buy the ghl light bar to fill in the gaps that the 2 mitras' leave on my setup
I am loving the Mitras. Great light and spread. Plenty of par. And, once you get a hang of it, very easy to program. I'm not done tweaking it, but I played with it a bunch and don't want to do too many changes too fast. Letting all the new coral settle in before I make more changes.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny, I kind of look forward to going out of town for a week just to see if I notice growth when I get back.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice set up! Just read the whole thread to catch up. I like the shelf. I had one in my last tank that had a natural trunk-like base. I just never panned out the way I wanted. Turned into more of an algae garden. ;Yuck Hope you have better luck. Following...

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice set up! Just read the whole thread to catch up. I like the shelf. I had one in my last tank that had a natural trunk-like base. I just never panned out the way I wanted. Turned into more of an algae garden. ;Yuck Hope you have better luck. Following...
Thanks Fin!

I know there is a risk with the shadow the shelf throws. I'm hoping between the maintenance dose of Vibrant and the large Tang population that algae won't be an issue. Also trying to grow some low light coral under it.

If you have any advice, I'm all ears!

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Fin!

I know there is a risk with the shadow the shelf throws. I'm hoping between the maintenance dose of Vibrant and the large Tang population that algae won't be an issue. Also trying to grow some low light coral under it.

If you have any advice, I'm all ears!

NPS will be your friend u get the ledge. And tangs are nice when you have a good QT protocol. Especially Acanthurus[emoji6] Enough said.
-Zack, who may or may not have a sick Powder Blue...

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NPS will be your friend u get the ledge. And tangs are nice when you have a good QT protocol. Especially Acanthurus[emoji6] Enough said.
-Zack, who may or may not have a sick Powder Blue...
I've been a bit scared of non photosynthetic LPS. I did find a low light coral at WWC that seems to be slowly growing. Not to mention it is a beautiful bright green.

And I do use pretty tight QT practices so my 5 tangs have looked very healthy, knock on wood!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life has been too busy. I still have frags in racks and can't really clean the glass until I get the racks down. Without clean glass I don't want to take pictures. Without pictures, there is little reason for a build thread. Lets face it... we all love pictures.

I am going to an informal reef club meeting today. Pretty excited since I've been flying solo up till now with R2R being my only resource. Its probably a good thing since I doubt I would have read nearly as many scientific papers about different aspects of reef keeping.

Last night I did some chemistry checks. My nitrates have dropped to around 2ppm which is lower than I would like. So, I pulled about 2/3 of my chaeto to try and get the levels back up. Had I been thinking I would have waited until this morning and brought it with me in case anyone at the meeting needed some. Ah well.... I'm sure I'll grow plenty more.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unacceptable! Your fans require pics!! :)

** Move frag racks temporarily. Clean glass. Move frag racks back. Take pics. Problem solved! **

I went to my first Tulsa Area Reef Club meeting last Sunday and had a great time! Swapped some frags and came home with lots of great freebies, too. Most importantly met a lot of great folks and got to talk reefing! I’m definitely hooked and will be going to all future meetings I can.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back