Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the first one [emoji4]

First one here as well. The position and color of the fish makes for a more visually appealing picture. At least to my eyes.

1st one, as the Blue tang is more visible

I hate to say, but I agree. I want to like the second one because my Magnificent Foxface is shy and hard to photograph but the rest of the fish look much better in picture one. So, 1 it is!

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through your whole thread. Nice work! I personally like the high floating shelf. It adds some interesting shadows and that view from the side is killer!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through your whole thread. Nice work! I personally like the high floating shelf. It adds some interesting shadows and that view from the side is killer!
Thanks! The fish love hanging out under it and it gives me options for lower light corals. I am extremely pleased with the build so far. Really looking forward to adding between 20 and 30 corals next week. Then, the not so exciting part. Waiting for everything to grow.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The fish love hanging out under it and it gives me options for lower light corals. I am extremely pleased with the build so far. Really looking forward to adding between 20 and 30 corals next week. Then, the not so exciting part. Waiting for everything to grow.
Gonna be awesome. I might try one of those starter boxes myself when my tank settles, but I’ll live vicariously through you for now. :)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I didn’t see, and forgot to ask about....

What’s your stand sitting on? Is it elevated off the floor or sitting flat?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna be awesome. I might try one of those starter boxes myself when my tank settles, but I’ll live vicariously through you for now. :)
I've lost all my other Battlecorals. I tried getting them way too early. I'm getting the starter pack, a good size regular Battlebox, and then some WWC corals on top of it. I also have 4 corals coming from a local supplier.
One thing I didn’t see, and forgot to ask about....

What’s your stand sitting on? Is it elevated off the floor or sitting flat?
Its sitting on the 2x4 frame, that is it. I did spray the 2x4's with poly to make them water resistant just to be on the safe side.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost all my other Battlecorals. I tried getting them way too early. I'm getting the starter pack, a good size regular Battlebox, and then some WWC corals on top of it. I also have 4 corals coming from a local supplier.

Its sitting on the 2x4 frame, that is it. I did spray the 2x4's with poly to make them water resistant just to be on the safe side.
Bummer about the corals. Were your parameters bouncing around?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about the corals. Were your parameters bouncing around?
I just had no clue what I was doing. I killed the first box by using GFO for no reason other than I thought I should. The 2nd box I killed by messing around with my nutrients, Vibrant being the final straw that pushed them over the edge. I had no clue what I was doing and Vibrant was actually too affective. I spent many hours reading scientific papers trying to understand the role of nitrates and phosphates and their relationship to phytoplankton, cyanobacteria, and dinoflagellates. Vibrant and I are good friends now, my nutrients are stable, my fuge is thriving, and my coral are doing just fine.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That ole KISS principle coming back again :p Easy to get into that rabbit hole :)
Exactly. The biggest lesson I learned is to not do what I think needs to be done. Do what my tank tells me needs to be done. It seems so simple. Then, understand the complete repercussions from the actions you take. Such as needing to use GFO to pull PO4 out of the system if you do more than a small amount of carbon dosing. If you need to add 2 part you will also need to add magnesium. If you pull large amounts of macro algae you need to add iron. Simple and in balance.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one that likes 2? The tank looks busier. If it’s going on the front, you want to showcase all that you have. The busy tank definitely caught my eye first. Especially that Magnificent FF.
-Zack

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one that likes 2? The tank looks busier. If it’s going on the front, you want to showcase all that you have. The busy tank definitely caught my eye first. Especially that Magnificent FF.
-Zack
It does seem to show more motion. I'll have to do better when I take my FTS next month. Hopefully I can get more of them out to the front of the tank when I take the next ones.

I think I will have time to play around tomorrow. I'll see what other shots I can get. For me, the 3 hardest fish to get a good picture of are the Flame Angel (too fast), Magnificent Foxface (too shy), and the Green Mandarin (too small).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back