Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2AFD3169-E402-47EA-BDE2-9959E8301FFB.jpeg
I needed a mental health trip. Packed up the bag, put the top down. Took a picture. Realized the top had to be up for the bag to fit. Raised the top, loaded the bag, lowered the top and drove to Atlanta.

ahhhh

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium is feeling really small right niw
5D319E5E-BDB1-4912-8FAF-E204543AD47B.jpeg

and I definitely can’t have these cute little guys
A204785E-2E46-4268-A3E0-39BA9489EE5E.jpeg
I'm gonna need a couple of more picture of that large reef tank. And a review! How was it? What type of corals? Good flow? :D
Never been there, but seen photos and read about that tank. Cool idea with the waves and curved window!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna need a couple of more picture of that large reef tank. And a review! How was it? What type of corals? Good flow? :D
Never been there, but seen photos and read about that tank. Cool idea with the waves and curved window!
The tank is beautiful and it is impressive just based on its size. I think for the typical visitor it is pretty awe inspiring, especially with the wonderfully chosen fish species. They did a great job with the fish stocking of the tank.

I enjoyed the curved window with the waves on the tank but it doesn't work all that well in practice. I think it is lost on most visitors since most people go straight up to the tank. The waves end up crashing above and behind you and only make noticeable flow changes at the top few feet of the tank. I got close to the glass and turned around to watch it once or twice to try and figure out how it was being done. Some visitors saw me facing with my back to the tank so they looked up and back, but otherwise it was ignored.

As for coral, it was mostly Monti Caps and leather corals. I did see 2 fairly large claims in the display. They had some Seriatopora toward the top of the tank and they may have had a few Acropora at the very top but I couldn't say for sure. Based on the way the leather coral moved the tank didn't have great flow along the wall, definitely not enough for acro's. Lighting is harder for me to judge but I think it was pushing the minimum amount the monti's needed to thrive.

It's hard not to appreciate the tank for it's dimensions and colors alone but is probably more impressive to people who don't keep acro's than to a stick head. They may leave disappointed.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is beautiful and it is impressive just based on its size. I think for the typical visitor it is pretty awe inspiring, especially with the wonderfully chosen fish species. They did a great job with the fish stocking of the tank.

I enjoyed the curved window with the waves on the tank but it doesn't work all that well in practice. I think it is lost on most visitors since most people go straight up to the tank. The waves end up crashing above and behind you and only make noticeable flow changes at the top few feet of the tank. I got close to the glass and turned around to watch it once or twice to try and figure out how it was being done. Some visitors saw me facing with my back to the tank so they looked up and back, but otherwise it was ignored.

As for coral, it was mostly Monti Caps and leather corals. I did see 2 fairly large claims in the display. They had some Seriatopora toward the top of the tank and they may have had a few Acropora at the very top but I couldn't say for sure. Based on the way the leather coral moved the tank didn't have great flow along the wall, definitely not enough for acro's. Lighting is harder for me to judge but I think it was pushing the minimum amount the monti's needed to thrive.

It's hard not to appreciate the tank for it's dimensions and colors alone but is probably more impressive to people who don't keep acro's than to a stick head. They may leave disappointed.
Thanks!! Really wish to see it sometime. It's a chapter on that tank in the book Advances in Coral Husbandry in Public Aquariums, so I've known about it for a long time. And it's fun someone testing new ideas. They don't always turn out exactly the way you want, but at least you tried something new! :)

Flow seems to be a problem in many large reef tank. I hope we can be the exception (if we can afford.. ;Wideyed).

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at that precious face!!!! Does she stay out of the presents then?
She is such a good girl. If I drop food on the ground too far away from her she will wait for me to give her permission to get it. I could wrap a big juicy steak and put it under the tree and she would leave it alone, even if I left the house for a few hours.
Presents and tree decorations are no issue at all.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! Really wish to see it sometime. It's a chapter on that tank in the book Advances in Coral Husbandry in Public Aquariums, so I've known about it for a long time. And it's fun someone testing new ideas. They don't always turn out exactly the way you want, but at least you tried something new! :)

Flow seems to be a problem in many large reef tank. I hope we can be the exception (if we can afford.. ;Wideyed).
The entire facility is really amazing but isn't a great place to see coral. I wish they would set up a smaller, Acropora heavy reef system.

The whale shark exhibit is just mind blowing. The primal side of me would love to watch a feeding session in the new shark exhibit. The tiger sharks and hammer heads look like they are around 8' long. Beautiful fish!

And of course, the otters are adorable. They added alligators in the last few years. Their exhibit is pretty small so I'm guessing they plan on rehoming the gators when they grow larger and replacing them with juveniles again.

I didn't stay for the dolphin show. The next one that was available was in the mid afternoon and I didn't feel like sticking round waiting those extra hours.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just found this behind the scenes tour -
The display is 450 000L. And natural sunligt plus 40000 W of metal halides ;Bucktooth plus some 12000W LEDs

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this behind the scenes tour -
The display is 450 000L. And natural sunligt plus 40000 W of metal halides ;Bucktooth plus some 12000W LEDs

I'll have to watch the video when I get home!

The lighting I saw looked like it was very high over the water. That could have been an optical illusion with the curved acrylic but I would have estimated the lights were at least 10' above the tank.

U

User1

View Badges
The whale shark exhibit is just mind blowing. The primal side of me would love to watch a feeding session in the new shark exhibit. The tiger sharks and hammer heads look like they are around 8' long. Beautiful fish!

Used to fly to Atlanta regularly but never went there. Drove by it on a Sunday one time but about as close as I got :) I remember when I was stationed in Okinawa years ago the Churaumi Aquarium up North had one of the largest aquariums at the time. It also had a whale shark and it was amazing to see. As you said - mind blowing. We used to visit it a few times a year on our road trips.

One regret, well no regrets really but I am a dummy, is that I didn't learn to scuba dive. A few of my buddies did and said it was some of the best outside the potential unexploded ordinance in some areas. I would snorkel and spear fish with a few of them on our beach nights but never dove. Of course I do now and think maybe I should have back then.

But hey - what you know at 55 vs 19 is, well, different :) No do overs. Hope all is well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back