OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is what I think I have going on... I confirmed last night that I still have 50ml per minute flow through the reactor. What caught me off guard is that it is still 25dkh. This is with my pH set at 6.4dKH but it is almost the exact same as when I had my CaRx at 6.7dKH. I didn't expect to see that.
My guess is that the new media had fines I hadn't rinsed out that were dissolving more easily. Now it is more stable, but slower, in dissolving the media.
I've got plenty more testing I want to do, including trying to get an accurate pH of the effluent from the media reactor. At least the tank is stable and holding nicely at 9.4dKH but I'm still dosing over 200ml/day.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using either a Masterflex, (you can find used ones on ebay) or the Kamoer "should" help out with your CA Rx output.
I would suggest setting the dosing pump, (Masterflex/Kamoer/Eco-Tech) to pull water through the reactor rather than push it into the reactor. It's less pressure on the reactor and the pump.

Obviously, that depends on what Avast says about their reactor when you ask.

ETA - setting your CA Rx's pH to a specific number, (IE Rx pH of 6.4 and CO2 solenoid closes) and using the peristaltic pump (Masterflex/Kamoer/Eco-Tech) to run at a specific rate will make the Rx easier to use. Want more Alk, increase the flow of effluent from the Rx. Want less Alk, slow the flow of effluent from the Rx. To accomplish this, you'll most likely need to crank the CO2 solenoid to pretty wide open. Your Rx and system will dictate the specifics of doing that. And again, that depends entirely on what Avast says about their reactor. I've never used their reactor or even seen it until you posted it up. I've got experience with GEO 612 and Korallin C1502 reactors from when I was in the hobby previously, and that's how I did it.
I did order the Kamoer pump and am going to use it to pull water through the reactor, if possible. And, despite the fairly unique design, I think it should work fine. Actually, I think it will work better.

For now, my plan is to try and get the system stable with most of the demand supplied by the CaRx but to maintain finer control of my alkalinity using 2-part.
Long term I know I can set my Profilux to open and close the CO2 solenoid to maintain pH within a band, something like 6.50 + or - .05 and the KH Director will modify the setpoint as needed to raise or lower Alk. I even picked up a separate solenoid valve "just in case" my thought would be to try and tune the reactor just slightly high so that the solenoid doesn't cycle excessively.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did order the Kamoer pump and am going to use it to pull water through the reactor, if possible. And, despite the fairly unique design, I think it should work fine. Actually, I think it will work better.

For now, my plan is to try and get the system stable with most of the demand supplied by the CaRx but to maintain finer control of my alkalinity using 2-part.
Long term I know I can set my Profilux to open and close the CO2 solenoid to maintain pH within a band, something like 6.50 + or - .05 and the KH Director will modify the setpoint as needed to raise or lower Alk. I even picked up a separate solenoid valve "just in case" my thought would be to try and tune the reactor just slightly high so that the solenoid doesn't cycle excessively.

Once you get it dialed in, I'd bet you could get the Ca Rx to handle the majority/all of your needs. It seems like you're really tuned in to 2 part with your system. I could easily see you continuing to use 2 part to make up the difference between your Ca Rx settings and what your system uses daily. But I would be surprised if your Ca Rx wasnt designed to handle it all by itself.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the issue right there.
Is it harder to dissolve? I wanted the Two Little Fishies stuff, but it was out of stock.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience ARM media needs a lower PH . I ran it at 6.1-6.2 in a 6 inch X 30 inch reactor and just kept up for a 120 SPS.
Switched out to Reborn media (coral bones) I was able to run it at 6.7-6.8 with no problems.
I also found it has a longer break-in time. It almost has to break an outer skin before it starts to dissolve.
That being said your pump may also be an issue as well.
Media definitely makes a huge difference though.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience ARM media needs a lower PH . I ran it at 6.1-6.2 in a 6 inch X 30 inch reactor and just kept up for a 120 SPS.
Switched out to Reborn media (coral bones) I was able to run it at 6.7-6.8 with no problems.
I also found it has a longer break-in time. It almost has to break an outer skin before it starts to dissolve.
Thanks, good to know!
Unfortunately, it overpressurized today, so my CaRx can't seem to handle running at even 6.4dKH. With the new pump being delivered tomorrow I'll be able to pull water through it, and that should solve the pressure issues.
Back to dosing 440ml/day until the new pump gets here tomorrow.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on the new pump, but took a picture.

Left2.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very consumed with my kitchen remodel so I haven't posted too much. I do have the CaRx on line again and it is carrying about 2/3rds of the load right now. Pulling water through didn't work as well as I had hoped, so back to pushing it through. The recirc pump is making an odd noise that I'm still trying to figure out how to get rid of, if possible.

The only tank maintenance on the list today is to change out my GAC and GFO. The tank is still growing like a weed. I should be cutting more coral back, and getting the broken pieces out of the sand, but its not critical yet so I'm going to be lazy.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the pump for some media fines that may have made its way through.
I've been very consumed with my kitchen remodel so I haven't posted too much. I do have the CaRx on line again and it is carrying about 2/3rds of the load right now. Pulling water through didn't work as well as I had hoped, so back to pushing it through. The recirc pump is making an odd noise that I'm still trying to figure out how to get rid of, if possible.

The only tank maintenance on the list today is to change out my GAC and GFO. The tank is still growing like a weed. I should be cutting more coral back, and getting the broken pieces out of the sand, but its not critical yet so I'm going to be lazy.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean about recirculating CO2 bubbles??? Sorry but new to saltwater...
A Calcium Reactor works by injecting CO2 into the water to create carbonic acid. This acid dissolves the argonite media or coral skeletons in the reactor to release the Alk and Calc into the water.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean about recirculating CO2 bubbles??? Sorry but new to saltwater...
A Calcium Reactor works by injecting CO2 into the water to create carbonic acid. This acid dissolves the argonite media or coral skeletons in the reactor to release the Alk and Calc into the water.

A calcium reactor is just a pressurized tube with calcareous media (usually old dead coral skeletons or something similar) that pulls water from the tank, injects CO2 to dissolve the media, and release nutrients/elements for stony coral growth. It recirculates the water inside the reactor and slowly drips it out back into the tank.

The Co2 that gets injected into the Calcium reactor creates carbonic acid which lowers the pH inside reactor and dissolves the media. When the media dissolves, it releases calcium carbonate and other elements essential for hard coral growth.

When the CO2 level inside the calcium reactor, (often abbreviated as Ca Rx) hits saturation point, (meaning the water can no longer absorb any more CO2) the bubbles will still circulate through the media and the reactor often making a gurgling noise that can annoy some people.

Tank looks great Brew!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back