Brice's first Salt Water tank - Reef Aspirations -

Brice Wagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved to the DMV area in March 2018 from N. California. I am an analytical chemist by trade and enjoyed working in a finish product lab in NC before CA. When we moved to DMV I obtained a position, still in the science field but I no longer in a laboratory setting.

I knew I would miss the world of chemical preparation, quantification, analysis, trouble shooting and diligent record keeping that comes with being a practicing chemist. I thought that keeping an aquarium would be an appropriate outlet; I was right!

I bought a second-hand 20gal high tank and stand off of craigslist. At the time I thought I had gotten a real deal. It had a filter and heater come with it, along with some very nice plastic plants :D. I filled the tank and no leaks were found. The heater (100w aqueon pro) had a broken thermostat, regulating at 89F both on the highest and lowest settings. It didnt take long to realize the filter was useless as well (some tetra "whisper" model that buzzed when running).

Any how, I started with and currently use RO water from this righteous aquarium store (congressional aquarium, MD). The rest came quickly, ~30 lbs Caribsea Ocean direct sand, and initial 5 lb live rock (like any noob I got the painted purple rock). After research, I chose a 425 gph Hydor korilia PH and a Aquaclear 30 filter. I mixed the water, added the sand and some starter bacteria and patiently waited for the cycle. 0708181846.jpg
0710181847.jpg
Early in the cycling I decide to pick up a beautiful 15 lb Texas holly rock(dry) and a very expensive mag glass cleaner (piranha, Algae free).
0718182009.jpg
Once the ammonia level went down nitrates showed around 20ppm, pH 8.1; I acquired a heater and some new buddies!
0810181609a.jpg 2 Clowns, 1 Fire Shrimp, 1 Golbi
0810181634a.jpg 0811181147e.jpg 0810182005h.jpg

So now we are all caught up. I did my first water change yesterday (4gal) and I could see the beginnings of some rusty red algae on the top of the rocks. Everyone seems to be happy, though the Picasso clown still sleeps at the surface. I named the shrimp Ryan Howard, other than that they are all nameless (welcoming suggestions). I feed a variety of frozen food, half a cube a day.

My fiance is anxious for coral so I drove to PA the other day to pick up some better lights. A nice lady was selling her 180 gal and all of her equipment. I was lucky enough to buy 3 Kessil 360WE, Controller, and a Maxxima 4 stage RO unit for $700. I dont know what ill end up keeping, I didnt think that far ahead. o_O I am also toying with the idea of adding some coralline or dragons tongue algae before the red stuff gets out of hand.

Next step Coral.
Tanks for reading;)

OP
OP
B

Brice Wagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0818181148.jpg
Set up one of the kessil today. What do you think; too much light? Corals are close. We have it narrowed down to GSP, and frog spawn. We will also get an anomome.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0818181148.jpg
Set up one of the kessil today. What do you think; too much light? Corals are close. We have it narrowed down to GSP, and frog spawn. We will also get an anomome.

Tank is looking good. The tank is 24x12” right? May be a tough size for an anemone despite its length. Even a BTA could get a foot long, but may work. I would not try any other anemone species in that narrow of a tank.

OP
OP
B

Brice Wagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went on a spending spree this weekend. The pistol shrimp and Golbi found each other the first night. Named Tank and Dozer.

28872.jpeg

28906.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went on a spending spree this weekend. The pistol shrimp and Golbi found each other the first night. Named Tank and Dozer.

28872.jpeg

28906.jpeg

Nice names! Never would have thought of that. Tank is looking good.

OP
OP
B

Brice Wagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good. The tank is 24x12” right? May be a tough size for an anemone despite its length. Even a BTA could get a foot long, but may work. I would not try any other anemone species in that narrow of a tank.

When we move in a year I fully expect to upgrade to a 90gal. We will end up transplanting everything.

OP
OP
B

Brice Wagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The starfish I got yesterday has sprung a couple leaks in his arms. His inards are poking out. Anything I can do? Is he likely to bite the dust?

0820181938_Film4.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is no. Unfortunately.
Beautiful aren't they?

75 gallon tank minimum, 1 year old minimum.
*Lots* of live rock.
Just 1 *small* fromia or linkia starfish (skip the blue ones period till you get that 300 gallon tank.)

And after all that there's still a good chance that they will starve in 6 months to a year's time.
They eat some type of biological film on the rocks and the glass.
Or maybe something else.
It's not really known what they eat.

Ours is at 6 months. Still looks good.
But that means nothing until 2 years have passed.
[emoji53]

Take it out of the tank before it becomes even more of a mess.

Sorry about the bad news.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't normally disintegrate that quickly.

Guessing the acclimation was way too fast, or just too much of a dramatic change from the LFS to your tank.
Or your parameters might be a little off.
Or you didn't bring it home in a dry cooler that maintained 78ish degrees.

That list comes from just some of the things I have done wrong in the past.
[emoji53]

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most inverts need twice the time fish do during acclimation.

It isn't hard to kill them.
[emoji53]

Lots of small details.
Too many "oh yeah, BTW..." moments.

Your tank looks like it's off to a good start overall. You should do well.
[emoji4]

OP
OP
B

Brice Wagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot. Ive been telling myself to be patient, research and build slowly. We got ahead of ourselves this time.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot. Ive been telling myself to be patient, research and build slowly. We got ahead of ourselves this time.
Everything looks good.

You are about maxed out on fish (once the clowns mature).
Lots of pretty soft corals that do well under inexpensive lighting (lol, everything is relative) can keep you busy for a while.

I can definitely recommend skipping the "overcrowding and killing them all" phase from personal experience.

Looks like you're ready for your next tank.
[emoji4]

OP
OP
B

Brice Wagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. We have been adding coral frags slowly. I decided to add a octo hob skimmer 1000. Its over kill but I wanted to carbon dose and quality small skimmers seemed to be difficult to find. Still controlling the algea and waiting for coralline.

0916181359a.jpg

OP
OP
B

Brice Wagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is now 5 months old. 2 months with fish and inverts. The BTA has grown the most but all coral is showing good progress. We have lost 5 snails and have been lucky enough to not experience ammonia spikes. I think the pistol shrimp eats them and uses their shells for his front door. The most exciting new developments are our clam, six line wrasse, the huge BOH 1000 octo skimmer, and the EtOH dosing regimen. The algae is clearing up (even more since these pictures) and we have more white bacteria production.

Nitrates: ~ 10ppm (after 23 days of EtOH, next increase is today to 1.62ml)
Ca: ~ 200ppm
dkH: ~12
pH: 8.0 to 8.1
Everything else is near or at 0.

Everything seems happy for now. Im leaving for a week and a half at the end of this month for my wedding and honeymoon. I have switched them over to flakes and have an auto feeder ready. Ill do a water change before I leave and barring any weird development they should be ok.

Im soooo ready for a 60 or 75 gal tank.

See you around.
-B

0930181756e.jpg

0930181813.jpg

0928182035b.jpg

OP
OP
B

Brice Wagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are now 0. Do LPS do better around 5ppm nitrates or was I miss informed.

On a more exciting note our Picasso clown, Mona, starting hosting the BTA. Her belly looks a little bigger than normal. Let me know if you guys think its carrying eggs.

1023181942g.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back