Brightwell's Reef Code A vs Reef Code A-P

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Been using Reef Code A and B (the liquid) for a few months now. But I find purchasing a couple of bottles every few weeks becoming a bit expensive and tedious.
I was looking to moving towards Reef Code A-P (and B-P). But looking at the instructions,

For Reef Code A
Each ml of Brightwell Aquatics Reef Cōde A will increase the concentration of calcium (“[Ca2+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by approximately 16 ppm

For Reef Code A-P
Create a stock solution by dissolving 35 grams of Reef Code A-P in 8-fl. oz. of purified fresh water; each ml of the solution will increase the calcium concentration (“[Ca2+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by ~10 ppm

Seems like the instructions to dissolve the powder results in a weaker solution, compared to the bottled liquid version.

Anyone know why this is?
Can I increase the amount of powder used in order to make it the same strength? ie, instead of using 35 grams, I would use 35 x 1.6 = 56 grams?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may target a lower concentration just to make it easier to dissolve.

It is also possible the chemistry is slightly different. In general, an alk additive that consists only of carbonate salts can be made to a higher concentration than one that consists partly or completely of bicarbonate salts due to its lower solubility.

OP
OP
legrunt

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may target a lower concentration just to make it easier to dissolve.

It is also possible the chemistry is slightly different. In general, an alk additive that consists only of carbonate salts can be made to a higher concentration than one that consists partly or completely of bicarbonate salts due to its lower solubility.
Hmmmmm... I suppose i could also just increase the dosing amount by 1.6 times if i follow the mixing instructions?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmm... I suppose i could also just increase the dosing amount by 1.6 times if i follow the mixing instructions?

If you believe the text that Brightwell wrote, yes. Unfortunately, they have a history of "issues" with their claims.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you lived near me I’d give you parts A&B in the powdered form. Terrible products that don’t readily dissolve. I had to warm the water on my stove top before I could get it to dissolve at the suggested ratios.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Been using Reef Code A and B (the liquid) for a few months now. But I find purchasing a couple of bottles every few weeks becoming a bit expensive and tedious.
I was looking to moving towards Reef Code A-P (and B-P). But looking at the instructions,

For Reef Code A
Each ml of Brightwell Aquatics Reef Cōde A will increase the concentration of calcium (“[Ca2+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by approximately 16 ppm

For Reef Code A-P
Create a stock solution by dissolving 35 grams of Reef Code A-P in 8-fl. oz. of purified fresh water; each ml of the solution will increase the calcium concentration (“[Ca2+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by ~10 ppm

Seems like the instructions to dissolve the powder results in a weaker solution, compared to the bottled liquid version.

Anyone know why this is?
Can I increase the amount of powder used in order to make it the same strength? ie, instead of using 35 grams, I would use 35 x 1.6 = 56 grams?
My 2 cents- I tried mixing my own 2 part (Red Sea) and it was a tedious mess. They sell giant containers of their product so I just use that. I’ve had good luck thus far. I’ll move on to a calcium reactor before I go back to mixing.

If you insist on mixing, maybe try the BRS stuff? They sell kits and things that look affordable.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents- I tried mixing my own 2 part (Red Sea) and it was a tedious mess. They sell giant containers of their product so I just use that. I’ve had good luck thus far. I’ll move on to a calcium reactor before I go back to mixing.

If you insist on mixing, maybe try the BRS stuff? They sell kits and things that look affordable.
I cannot speak to the science nor quality of the product. But BRS 2 part mixed extremely well.

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had a mixing problem, just a little fallout of solution of calcium, so i rinse container when i make next batch,
Alk absolutley mix clear
,you ever work with kalk(lol)

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had a mixing problem, just a little fallout of solution of calcium, so i rinse container when i make next batch,
Alk absolutley mix clear
,you ever work with kalk(lol)
Brightwell’s alk mixed chunkier for me than kalk. It mixed so poorly that my doses were light.

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds likey
Brightwell’s alk mixed chunkier for me than kalk. It mixed so poorly that my doses were light.
sounds like you where making some kind of ice cream lol,
maybe your batch was outdated,
But i order from brs never had a problem always fresh
code a and b

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds likey

sounds like you where making some kind of ice cream lol,
maybe your batch was outdated,
But i order from brs never had a problem always fresh
code a and b
Maybe I’m just unlucky but it’s happened like that 2 times. I just gave up and switched to the pouches at brs. Haven’t had a problem since.

Back