Bringing corals back in checked luggage

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

We are on holiday in EU, and while visiting a few local shops got the idea it be be neat to buy a frag or two and bring back with us. Be cool to say that one came from ___ in the tank. :)

Seems most put them in plastic bags, then in a soft lunch box.

What about a small thermos ? Fill with water and the coral frag. My concern be the coral bouncing against the metal, but is it much worse than bouncing around the tight plastic bag?

Thinking it'll be a couple zoa frags that we will bring back..

We will have to buy they will be in transit about 24-28 hours before in the tank.

OP
OP
dopey

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the thermos I was considering.

Just have doubts in random lunch box doing decent insulation.. feel a thermos do better ? IMG_20180320_171827.jpg

IMG_20180320_171827.jpg

OP
OP
dopey

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah clever ! That'll wedge it in place. Just surprised I didn't find threads of other doing it this way :)

Thank you !

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe he’s traveling inside Europe so it’s like going from state to state

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the cites regulations traveling from country to country in the EU while you may not actually have to pass through customs it *may* still not be legal for you transport some corals, ie anything with a skeleton or live rock. That being said you mention zoa's which are soft corals as long as they are not attached to live rock they are 100% legal to transport from any country to another since they are not on cites.

Believe it or not the easiest way to transport them is to wrap them in wet paper towel and put them in ziplock bags or even the thermos you pictured. This way they do not need to go in checked luggage and can remain on you as carry on, and stay at room temperature. If you were buying a bunch of stuff I'd say get a styrofoam box but for small amounts of frags transporting them dry is my preferred method of transportation. In fact just this past sunday I transported a zoa frag along with a couple of sps frags dry. This was in Canada so no borders but airport security did not even ask me to open my small carry on which was a small bag with a lunchbox inside with the corals wrapped in paper towel. They were out of the water for about 10 hrs without issue.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Years ago on another reef forum I participated in several thermos trades where we would put frags in a plastic drink thermos ( in small baggies) and ship them overnight.
Worked pretty good.
My first was some PPE's from Florida.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago on another reef forum I participated in several thermos trades where we would put frags in a plastic drink thermos ( in small baggies) and ship them overnight.
Worked pretty good.
I remember doing that as well, trading around the country.

OP
OP
dopey

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked pretty good.

In the small baggies did you have water in then ?

I'm traveling within EU. From what I read animals can travel freely, besides dogs/cats and a few requiring a passport themselves.

Sounds like small baggies in a thermos is best bet. Not just water/frag in thermo.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

I'm traveling within EU. From what I read animals can travel freely, besides dogs/cats and a few requiring a passport themselves.

Sounds like small baggies in a thermos is best bet. Not just water/frag in thermo.
They were more like coin baggies. The thermos also had styrofoam peanuts inside to cushion the frags from bouncing around inside the container.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

I have no idea what restrictions you have in the EU with respect to border security and customs.
I'd be very sure of every one before attempting anything.
Most people really have no clue as to what the hobby/fragging corals is all about, and most people in authority are very suspicious of what they don't under stand.
I would also save receipts. Maybe even ask for a detailed listing, just so you have so paperwork with you in case anything is looked at in detail.

OP
OP
dopey

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were more like coin baggies. The thermos also had styrofoam peanuts inside to cushion the frags from bouncing around inside the container.
In the coin bags did you have water or just left the coral moist for the transportation?

As for regulations I'm still reading, and will talk to the shop becobe buying.

Best I can tell it's not an issue, and there isn't any customs to pass. The only restrictions is any restricted or forbidden species in the country I'm returning to.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In the coin bags did you have water or just left the coral moist for the transportation?
No they were full of water.

If it were me, I would use as much water as I could since weight is not a factor.

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the frag is in a container with 3oz or less of water, you can carry it on board the plane. Just make sure to insulate it well. Maybe have the container with the frag out for going through check in at the airport and then put it in some sort of insulation after you pass through the check point. I just bought a frag in Phoenix and the store put it in a specimen sample cup (unused of course) that holds right around 3oz of water. Worked perfectly!

OP
OP
dopey

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the frag is in a container with 3oz or less of water, you can carry it on board the plane. Just make sure to insulate it well. Maybe have the container with the frag out for going through check in at the airport and then put it in some sort of insulation after you pass through the check point. I just bought a frag in Phoenix and the store put it in a specimen sample cup (unused of course) that holds right around 3oz of water. Worked perfectly!

Not sure I have the guts to try carry on... Different language security folks, confusion, etc..think thermos in checked is best plan :)

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I have the guts to try carry on... Different language security folks, confusion, etc..think thermos in checked is best plan :)

Probably a good plan. I’m not too familiar with the rules and regulations there although I do think they are similar. However you never know when you get a grumpy agent that wants to give you a hard time. Thermos is a great idea. Good luck!

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what airport security is for intra-EU flights. In the US, we have to separate anything containing liquids and containers can only take 100 ml. In the U.S., A thermos like that would get checked at security and you would have to empty it.

I wonder if the caffeine from leftover coffee would make the frags grow faster? :p

Lycka till!

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the U.K. We are not allowed to carry liquids of any sort in hand luggage,in Europe, because of liquid explosives risk. As for corals , I actually tried to buy some frags from the States and was told that you were not allowed to export them from the U.S A to Europe, so Im not saying dont try it , just that if they see it on the x ray machine and stop you they may take them away

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back