Bringing new fish home

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im hoping to purchase 2-3 green chromis later today. We have a social commitment and it’s likely the fish wouldn’t be able to make it to my tank for 5-6 hours. Will the fish be ok in a store bag inside my insulated cooler for that duration? Does anyone have personal experience with this?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im hoping to purchase 2-3 green chromis later today. We have a social commitment and it’s likely the fish wouldn’t be able to make it to my tank for 5-6 hours. Will the fish be ok in a store bag inside my insulated cooler for that duration? Does anyone have personal experience with this?
I think your main concern will be oxygen supply and water conditions in addition to temperature and hopefully you have a bubbler. Also, remember that they can create a lot of waste/ammonia in a small bag during that span of time and some reefers use Amquel or similar products to try to "neutralize" waste products . Personally, I would wait until could put them in my tank sooner.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish are shipped overnight across country in bags, often taking 24 hours or more toget to their destination.

You will be fine with them bagged and in a cooler.

be sure that they put 1/2 bag water and fill with oxygen, then secure tightly.

On a side note, 2-3 chromis does not have good odds of working out. many folks watch as 3 becomes 2, then 2 becomes 1.

I love the blue chromis, one of my favorites, but I only ever have 1 in my tank (5 turned into 1 the first time I ever bought them)

OP
OP
jdpeters

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I thought they were relatively peaceful for damsel fish. I currently have 1 in my tank and thought the addition would blend smoothly. Also plan on grabbing a couple small coral frags today, should they do better in a bag for that duration than fish?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I thought they were relatively peaceful for damsel fish. I currently have 1 in my tank and thought the addition would blend smoothly. Also plan on grabbing a couple small coral frags today, should they do better in a bag for that duration than fish?

The coral will be fine as well.

Be sure to float the bags and temperature match.

Also, it’s always good practice to dip your coral for pests prior to adding to your tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back