Bristle worm?

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this guy crawling on my rock. Is it a bristle worm? Or something else?

IMG_2087.jpeg

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first invasive critter, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at as far as how much of a pest this is. Can I expect my tank to be eventually overrun by these things? Or will they live in balance and harmony with the rest of the tank? I say "they" because I assume that if I see one, then there are a lot more I'm not seeing.

Mmbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up for debate, but most feel that they are harmless detritivores. As previously mentioned, just be careful moving things around in the tank without gloves on or you could be poked by the bristles.

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first invasive critter, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at as far as how much of a pest this is. Can I expect my tank to be eventually overrun by these things? Or will they live in balance and harmony with the rest of the tank? I say "they" because I assume that if I see one, then there are a lot more I'm not seeing.
Be sure there is more than one
The number will match the amount of food available for them in the system

How painful are we talking here? Ant bite? Bee sting? The Box of Pain from Dune?
Not much like a bee sting but pretty unpleasant. The thing is the area will itch for about a week

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure there is more than one
The number will match the amount of food available for them in the system
Thanks. I figured as much. Some quick googling seems to point towards these being mostly beneficial as long as they're not the dreaded Fireworm

Not much like a bee sting but pretty unpleasant. The thing is the area will itch for about a week
So I don't have to be worried about being the Kwisatz Haderach. Good to know.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How painful are we talking here? Ant bite? Bee sting? The Box of Pain from Dune?
I have a bunch but they are mostly in my sumps. As far as pain, it depends on whether your a sissy or not. Er I mean it depends on your pain tolerance ;) I pick them up with my bare hands hands and haven't felt anything. IMO they are helpful and hurt nothing at all. Some people just have phobias and are scared of creepy crawlies, me not so much.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert but looking at the legs sticking out of the side it does look more like a fire worm than a bristle worm. I'd pull it
Screenshot_20230726_162549_Chrome.jpg
Yep, hence my comment (I suspect the lighting is throwing the color off).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back