Bristletooth & Yellow tang together? Other options?

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrade won't be for a year at least, so I was thinking about a small ~2.5 inch specimen.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrade won't be for a year at least, so I was thinking about a small ~2.5 inch specimen.
What did you end up doing? I'm thinking of going the OTHER way. I already have an established whitetail, thinking about adding a yellow tang in my 75 as well

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an established bristletooth and added the yellow. It is I would say 75% peaceful. They do chase each other periodically and the tank goes nuts for a few minutes and then it stops. If I used hindsight I probably would have just kept the bristletooth as he has more personality than the yellow in general. My copperband butterfly also occasionally has to deal with the yellow tang, otherwise all other tankmates are left alone/exist fine.

Tankmates include a pair of occelaris, the world's biggest royal gramma (maybe not, but hes YUGE compared to all the others I've seen), copperband butterflyfish, ornate female leopard wrasse, the two tangs, and a carberryi anthias.

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a tomini and yellow tang together without any issue. The yellow was added first and then the tomini. There was aggression from the yellow but I put a mirror against the tank and he calmed down in 2-3 days. Now they are both in a hospital tank getting treated together without any issue.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an established bristletooth and added the yellow. It is I would say 75% peaceful. They do chase each other periodically and the tank goes nuts for a few minutes and then it stops. If I used hindsight I probably would have just kept the bristletooth as he has more personality than the yellow in general. My copperband butterfly also occasionally has to deal with the yellow tang, otherwise all other tankmates are left alone/exist fine.

Tankmates include a pair of occelaris, the world's biggest royal gramma (maybe not, but hes YUGE compared to all the others I've seen), copperband butterflyfish, ornate female leopard wrasse, the two tangs, and a carberryi anthias.
Interesting. What size tank? I assume the yellow should be SMALLER than the whitetail since he's going in last? My bristletooth occasionally bullies my algae blenny, but I've never seen him cause any trouble. Other residents are occelaris pair, a couple flashers, a longnose hawkfish and a blue green chromis. Melanurus wrasse should be going in next month

OP
OP
Whipples

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. What size tank? I assume the yellow should be SMALLER than the whitetail since he's going in last? My bristletooth occasionally bullies my algae blenny, but I've never seen him cause any trouble. Other residents are occelaris pair, a couple flashers, a longnose hawkfish and a blue green chromis. Melanurus wrasse should be going in next month

They were about equal size, and are about the same size today as well. the Bristletooth will defend himself to a degree but the yellow definitely rules the roost.

Edit: 100 gallon 4'x2'x20" tank

Last edited:

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder if anyone have long term luck with convict tangs? they supposed to be on the peaceful side if i remember correct.

jim_fitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had three convicts
all living in the same tank in the shop
brought them home and war broke out
2 had to go ive had the one for about 2 years with no real problem

though i do have 9 other tangs to keep him in place

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other yellow fishies that would work with my current stock?
5in WT bristletooth
4in Melanurus
4in Longnose Hawk
full grown Occelaris pair
4inin algae blenny
4in Carpenter's Flasher
3in Linespot Flasher
2in blue/green chromis

I need some yellow color!! If I do go for the yellow tang, should he be BIGGER or SMALLER than the Bristletooth?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my plan, actually, to add both Yellow and Kole together. However, since the Kole is from Hawaii and not as popular as the Yellow here in China, I am worried with the current situation whether I’ll be able to purchase them at the same time and at the right size. I intend for both to be in the 3-4” range.

I’ll still be having a FF, the One-Spot, so I can have a super algae eating trio. Which brings me to a question: Even with the virus situation in the US my LFS is still getting large, I mean huge numbers of “Hawaiian Yellow Tangs.” I wonder if all of them are indeed from Hawaii.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back