Brittle star losing arms

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
1,902
Reaction score
1,319
What state or country do you live in
New Hampshire
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I order a red brittle star from live aquaria and came in 2 days ago so I ran a drip line on him for about 2 hours before he went in the tank and I noticed yesterday he only has one arm left so first thing I did was check my water and everything is normal the tank has been up and running for about month and half. I don't want to lose him please help!!!
 
ugg. sorry. Thats usually a stress response when they are on their way out. Poss too long an acclimation? temp acclimation?
could it recover? Yes.
 
Did it arrive warm? They are pretty hardy and do grow back appendages. Agreed stress related.
 
The temp in my tank was about 78.4. The bag was warm but I don't think it was that warm enough I wish I took the temp of the bag. all I have seen is to drip for two to three hours because they are very sensitive to water changes. Also when I took the bag out of the box part of him was out of the water so idk of that had somthing to do with it.
 
I tryed putting a tinny piece of shrimp in for him but he wouldn't eat any other Adivce?
 
Wait.

FWIW Ive always done about a 42 min acclimation, and at about 100% tank water in that time on everything being acclimated. not sure why but it has always worked.
im a dripper not that that matters .
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new