Brittlestar dying?

redmorrigan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning my brittlestar has stretched across a rock holding on with two legs holding on. The rest of it's legs are in a pile in front of the rock and it looks like it's body's torn :( is there anything I can do? What's going on? I've only had it about a week, a rescue. It's very big and a few years old

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gather the starfish with your hand and place it in a small container. Clip the container to the inside rim of your tank to float it while you observe.

Please list additional tank inhabitants.

OP
OP
R

redmorrigan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gather the starfish with your hand and place it in a small container. Clip the container to the inside rim of your tank to float it while you observe.

Please list additional tank inhabitants.
No other tank inhabitants, I'm just starting out. The brittlestar was given by a friend whose husband was going to kill it because it ate a fish :( I hope it doesn't die, but it also might be 3-4 years old or more. It's about 16-18" across

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank brand new? It might have starved in a brand new tank. They are normally pretty hardy.

But really need much more info to offer better suggestion. How old is the tank, water parameters, tank picture always helps, any tank mates? etc....

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum.
No other tank inhabitants, I'm just starting out. The brittlestar was given by a friend whose husband was going to kill it because it ate a fish :( I hope it doesn't die, but it also might be 3-4 years old or more. It's about 16-18" across

Please provide the age of the tank, any water parameters you are able to test for (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), foods fed, and photos.

OP
OP
R

redmorrigan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank brand new? It might have starved in a brand new tank. They are normally pretty hardy.

But really need much more info to offer better suggestion. How old is the tank, water parameters, tank picture always helps, any tank mates? etc....
It is a brand new tank. I did use live sand and rock, and water from the old tank. I have been attempting to get it to eat, supplied food, but it may not be eating due to change? I'm attaching pics, it's moved since this morning so it is alive. I've been feeding dried brine shrimp and pellets given to me by previous owner. Salinity 1.025, ph 8.2. I don't have a reading on others, waiting on a test kit. But I do use purigen

IMG_20231110_105238901_HDR.jpg IMG_20231110_105207029_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
R

redmorrigan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those legs you see in the pic appear to be detached and only two remaining, and body looks like it was tearing in half

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is time to discard the starfish before it melts in the tank. Do not add anything else until you receive your testing supplies and the tank is cycled and ready for inhabitants. I suspect that the added food and waste has caused an ammonia spike due to the lack of established bacteria.

OP
OP
R

redmorrigan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is time to discard the starfish before it melts in the tank. Do not add anything else until you receive your testing supplies and the tank is cycled and ready for inhabitants. I suspect that the added food and waste has caused an ammonia spike due to the lack of established bacteria.
After more research I think I changed the water parameters too quickly :( I feel bad about it dying. And I won't be putting anything in the tank for probably a few months. I want to start a refugium as well and get it stable for marine life. Thanks for your answers

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back