Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build - OCD Inspired... Going Back To a Reef

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was being a litle factious he is actually in Champaign at UL. ( close, he's the latest of 8 neieces and nephews to go there) but he would love to see it, I'm up in Milwaukee myself
But it is a great build I'm jealous I live in a condo and can only have buckets and a max 55 gallon LOL

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was being a litle factious he is actually in Champaign at UL. ( close, he's the latest of 8 neieces and nephews to go there) but he would love to see it, I'm up in Milwaukee myself
But it is a great build I'm jealous I live in a condo and can only have buckets and a max 55 gallon LOL

Oh sweet! But seriously, I would be more than happy to have him over if he's rolling through Bloomington/Normal some time. Is he into the hobby at all?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you show more of your filter and cabinet open all the way. What a great build !

I'm actually getting a new sump soon, so I'll be taking new images once that's in place!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should practice more... :p

Work on some new FTS angles! Side, under, above, angled.. etc.. :)

I see what you did there!:D

That's my next thing to start practicing... but they are actually the hardest to shoot. I love angled FTS from a tad bit of distance, with some of the room incorporated into the frame... they are my favorite.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I placed an order for an Elite Aquatics sump yesterday. I'm having them flip the entire thing, left-to-right, so it works with the Reefer layout. I'm also having them do orange acrylic in place of the red... trying to get away from the Vertex look. The orange will go with the orange piping I will be doing. You guys/gals will probably hate me for this, but my grey piping setup in my sump was all meant to be temporary... as was the mounting for all of my electronics on the chiller side. I just wanted something to get me by until I had more time to do something up to my high standards. I do custom high-end car audio fabrication for a living... for the last 23 years. So fabrication and wire organization is my speciality. So we'll see what the electronics side of the cabinet has in store. Not sure what I'm going to do there yet... my temporary solution actually turned out decent, so I'm not in a huge hurry.

New%20RS-33%202-1500x1500.jpg

Scarybo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I placed an order for an Elite Aquatics sump yesterday. I'm having them flip the entire thing, left-to-right, so it works with the Reefer layout. I'm also having them do orange acrylic in place of the red... trying to get away from the Vertex look. The orange will go with the orange piping I will be doing. You guys/gals will probably hate me for this, but my grey piping setup in my sump was all meant to be temporary... as was the mounting for all of my electronics on the chiller side. I just wanted something to get me by until I had more time to do something up to my high standards. I do custom high-end car audio fabrication for a living... for the last 23 years. So fabrication and wire organization is my speciality. So we'll see what the electronics side of the cabinet has in store. Not sure what I'm going to do there yet... my temporary solution actually turned out decent, so I'm not in a huge hurry.

New%20RS-33%202-1500x1500.jpg
Broadfield can I hire you to set up my dream tank? I am amazed by your ideas. I was wondering who was going to change out the Reefer sump since that is the weak point in this All-in-one. Cant wait to see the finished product.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sump on Nyos' Facebook page looks familiar. :)

upload_2016-9-18_14-17-8.png

That it does!... and it's all about to change lol. Thanks for the link, I never would of seen it.

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you'd had the Giesemann for a while now, still really happy with the results of adding t5? It's 4 t5 bulbs correct? and you have the 48" over 59" tank, that still working out nicely? Over the last few weeks while putting together my dream build (525xl) I've gone from never t5 to yeah they're pretty sweet. I'd just love to add that everything looks really incredible.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29509772682_6984c336a8_k.jpg

Really liking this , nice addition to your system. :D

Thanks, I've wanted one for quite a while... I think it will look stunning once it grows out.

So you'd had the Giesemann for a while now, still really happy with the results of adding t5? It's 4 t5 bulbs correct? and you have the 48" over 59" tank, that still working out nicely? Over the last few weeks while putting together my dream build (525xl) I've gone from never t5 to yeah they're pretty sweet. I'd just love to add that everything looks really incredible.

Yeah, I'm loving this fixture! It's like a piece of art, which is important to me. Very fine craftsmanship. You are correct, it houses (4) T5 bulbs. They are on two dimmable channels. The outer bulbs are on one channel and the inner bulbs are on another. I do have the 48" fixture, which I chose for a couple of reasons:
  • I prefer the look of a fixture that doesn't go end-to-end.
  • I like to run my fixture a little higher for easier tank maintenance. If I had a full length fixture, I would get light bleed off the ends of the tank at the height I run it at. The shorter fixture actually works out perfectly in this scenario... as you can see in my tank, I get a nice even coverage. The higher fixture also keeps the water a tad cooler... not that it puts off that much heat anyway. But for some, every little bit of heat reduction matters.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice shot!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back