Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite tanks!

Thanks David! The whole Facebook thing was funny... neither one of us realizing who the other one was lol.

I can't attend MACNA this year, but I'll be sure to introduce myself at MACNA 2017.

Swaefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you on your plumbing. The Red Sea Reefer out of the box has a barbed fitting for the return. I noticed in your pics you replaced that fitting and it is now all hard plumbed. I tried the same thing, replacing the threaded barbed fitting with a 3/4 threaded coupler. My problem is the Red Sea fitting is metric. The 3/4 fitting doesn't exactly fit right. I have tried applying mass amounts of Teflon tape and still have minor leaks. How did you address this problem?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you on your plumbing. The Red Sea Reefer out of the box has a barbed fitting for the return. I noticed in your pics you replaced that fitting and it is now all hard plumbed. I tried the same thing, replacing the threaded barbed fitting with a 3/4 threaded coupler. My problem is the Red Sea fitting is metric. The 3/4 fitting doesn't exactly fit right. I have tried applying mass amounts of Teflon tape and still have minor leaks. How did you address this problem?

I used standard NPT thread and it worked perfectly fine with enough Teflon tape. I just found out though that CoralVue sells the metric threaded adapter.

http://www.coralvue.com/metric-male-coupling

Very nice setup and writeup. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for looking!

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!
I really like the fact that you stripped the backing off the tank. Quick question: how do you keep the overflow clean? Is it removable?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question: how do you keep the overflow clean? Is it removable?

The overflow is a tinted glass, so I can easily scrape it just like the rest of the tank. However, now that I have pealed the black film off, I'm actually going to let it get covered in coralline algae. I think it will blend in quite well with the wall behind it. As you can see on my power heads and the very top of the overflow(which is plastic), coralline has started to take over and is much less apparent than black.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow is a tinted glass, so I can easily scrape it just like the rest of the tank. However, now that I have pealed the black film off, I'm actually going to let it get covered in coralline algae. I think it will blend in quite well with the wall behind it. As you can see on my power heads and the very top of the overflow(which is plastic), coralline has started to take over and is much less apparent than black.

1st reaction: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
pause
2nd reaction: ok cool, lets see how it turns out (coraline on rear clear-glass)

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st reaction: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
pause
2nd reaction: ok cool, lets see how it turns out (coraline on rear clear-glass)

No, no, no... coralline on the black overflow... not clear glass.

Palerider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Toby, are those aquamaxx reactors both the gfo/carbon reactors or the biopellet reactors? If they're the gfo/carbon reactors are you running biopellets in one of them? One of your pics looked like that was the case, just curious.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Toby, are those aquamaxx reactors both the gfo/carbon reactors or the biopellet reactors? If they're the gfo/carbon reactors are you running biopellets in one of them? One of your pics looked like that was the case, just curious.

They are both the standard reactors. I originally didn't plan to run bio pellets... just GFO and GAC. However, I decided to give bio pellets a spin. It works absolutely just fine for pellets. I run GFO in the 2nd one.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 50 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.0%

Back