Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build - OCD Inspired... Going Back To a Reef

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank!! You obviously thought out the details! I love how you explain all your ingenious and clean plumbing ideas as well!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know I love it!

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else wish Broadfield made house calls all over the US?

HAHAH you are not kidding! It is getting a gorgeous tank as well as all the artwork underneath in the cabinets!
Broadfield, come take a vacation to Miami and then give me a tank makeover hahah

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else wish Broadfield made house calls all over the US?

HAHAH you are not kidding! It is getting a gorgeous tank as well as all the artwork underneath in the cabinets!
Broadfield, come take a vacation to Miami and then give me a tank makeover hahah

Well, I appreciate it that you guys think that highly of my work.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the entire time I have had my pair of clowns, they refuse to host my Rainbow Bubble Tip. In all honesty, I actually could care less... I'm not one of those that gets upset when the clowns won't host an anemone. They do however host my large purple Goniopora... have from the beginning. Well, I get home yesterday from work and notice that the Goniopora is completely closed up. Which is not uncommon since the clowns completely harass it, keeping trying to feed it large chunks of LRS food etc lol. But something was different this time. I spotted something I had never seen before on the rock that it typically covers up...

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing that I have never been happy about is where/how I store my glass scraper(36" long Kent Marine), nets, long Eheim tongs, long spot feeder, my PAR wand etc. And since I use them so often, I wanted them within quick reach of the tank. Pier 1 and my wife to the rescue! She picked up an umbrella holder that works perfectly for me and our decor.

IMG_6819 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6825 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6820 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL! Awesome! Do you dry them first?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! Awesome! Do you dry them first?

I thought about putting some sort of liner in there. But yeah, I was already pulling them through a towel as I lift them over the edge of the tank.... to eliminate pesky drips down the front of the glass.

vipete1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her name is Millie.

Sweet! I just run bio pellets and a skimmer at the moment. I have GFO in my 2nd reactor, but only put it online if I notice any sort of algae at all. Which I have had zero algae since my initial cycle... so I don't really run the GFO. Those bio pellets seem to work great! I have only had a short bout with cyanobacteria and then I also had a short stint with spirulina. The hydrogen peroxide cleared the cyano and Chemiclean cleared up the spirulina. I also stir my sand every day. All of this seems to keep my sand white and no algae in the tank... so far any way lol.

I have run bio pellets before and all my corals suffered because it stripped the water of all the nutrients so well.......what are your nitrates phosphate parameters with the bio-pellets? Also had a cyano outbreak because my nitrates were lower than my phosphates...that's how it usually happens

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Broadfield, I am about to place an order on those gate valves. I see you said you used 1/2" but are they the thread or slip version. Thanks

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Broadfield, I am about to place an order on those gate valves. I see you said you used 1/2" but are they the thread or slip version. Thanks

I used slip, but your setup is going to dictate whether you use slip or threaded.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run bio pellets before and all my corals suffered because it stripped the water of all the nutrients so well.......what are your nitrates phosphate parameters with the bio-pellets? Also had a cyano outbreak because my nitrates were lower than my phosphates...that's how it usually happens

Yeah, my Nitrates have crept down to zero while Phosphates are around 0.16. So I'm trying to decide if I want start dosing Nitrate or some other option.

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the entire time I have had my pair of clowns, they refuse to host my Rainbow Bubble Tip. In all honesty, I actually could care less... I'm not one of those that gets upset when the clowns won't host an anemone. They do however host my large purple Goniopora... have from the beginning. Well, I get home yesterday from work and notice that the Goniopora is completely closed up. Which is not uncommon since the clowns completely harass it, keeping trying to feed it large chunks of LRS food etc lol. But something was different this time. I spotted something I had never seen before on the rock that it typically covers up...

That is so cool about the Clowns...my jaw dropped. What a fun surprise!
The one thing that I have never been happy about is where/how I store my glass scraper(36" long Kent Marine), nets, long Eheim tongs, long spot feeder, my PAR wand etc. And since I use them so often, I wanted them within quick reach of the tank. Pier 1 and my wife to the rescue! She picked up an umbrella holder that works perfectly for me and our decor.

IMG_6819 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6825 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6820 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr
Nice! It looks great and matches perfectly. :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back