Broadfield's Red Sea Reefer 450 Build - OCD Inspired... Going Back To a Reef

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW...sorry to hear about your issues. Can't wait to see the next incarnation of the tank!

kmcgillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s loads of us using Triton through Red Sea tanks bro - the 10x turn over is just the recommended amount. Just get what you can achieve without noise disturbing you.

You can always add an additional powder head in the algae section if it’s needed [emoji1303] Triton other methods is also worth considering - I run a ClariSea roller with mine [emoji4]

Where did you buy your ClariSea?

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up on running Triton on your RSR 450... I don’t think you’ll be able achieve the Triton recommended 10 x display volume turnover.

I set up a RSR 525XL (108 gal display) with the intent of running Triton. Unfortunately, I am unable to get much over 600 gph flow (as measured by my Apex flow sensors) through the plumbing before it starts making all sorts of disconcerting noises. Gurgling and whistling sounds... like it’s about to burst!

I contacted RedSea and asked how much flow could safely be handled by their plumbing. Unfortunately, I got a response back from a sales rep that really didn’t understand their product. “We recommend a pump that can do 1060 gph.... so that’s the maximum flow you can have....” She did not understand the concept of head pressure, and the fact that if you recommend a pump doing 1060gph, you’re actually getting a much lower flow rate out of the return nozzle.

I also tried the contact Triton (on the R2R forums) to see if they had any recommendations on how I should modify my system to compensate for the fact that I can’t run at the recommend 10x turnover. Never received a response from them.

I would love to know if you’re finding the same issue and if you’ve found a work around!

I just set up my 525 XL. I got 600 GPH also and at start water would go everywhere. Also, with 3/4 a inch pipe connection your restricted on flow. I think soft tubing you might get you a bit closer, maybe 700 GPH. The main problem is Red Sea's crappy plumbing. I'm currently running 420 GPH

klisby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ufff... This tank has been an inspiration for such a long time. Thinking out of the box and attention to detail. A tank crash is not to wish for.
Will be following your restart for sure, looking into the Triton myself with a S-500 and the challenges this gives :-D

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been so busy with life, work, my personal business, my wife's business and so on, that I just haven't had time to post at all on this site. I apologize if I have left anyone hanging. I set this tank up right at about 3 years ago. I had instant success and rode that high for quite a while. I then had some ups downs the last year or so. Which brings us to today... basically an empty tank.

One of my favorite quotes... that I changed a couple of the words to fit this crazy hobby:

“On this road called reefing, you have to take the good with the bad, smile with the sad, love what you got, and remember what you had. Always forgive, but never forget, learn from your mistakes, but never regret. Reefs change. Things go wrong. But just remember, the ride goes on.” - unknown

8 months ago... rocking pretty good:

IMG_1417 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_1491 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

..... and today:

IMG_2060 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I slowly lost basically all of my coral.... literally the only thing that was not affected was my clam. As a last ditch effort to try and figure out what was wrong, I ordered up a Triton test. As expected, it came back spotless and everything where it should be. So I'm not sure if at some point something happened and it just couldn't recover or what... a crash I guess. So I'm taking this opportunity to start over. I figure this is a good opportunity to start the Triton Method. Start with fresh artificial rock, substrate and get this tank down to the basics. No media, just chaeto... which obviously is the main contributor in nutrient control when using the Triton Method. I will be running a new sump in order to properly run the Triton Method... large refugium etc. New plumbing/manifold to utilize the Neptune flow sensors and a couple of the small AquaMaxx reactors in case I need to run carbon or similar in an emergency. Stay tuned!

Wow Broadfield.....I haven't been on here in some time and my jaw dropped...... I can't believe what I saw!!

Your setup was so pristine and top notch both top and bottom, it's hard to grasp. Stay positive and upbeat and hope to see you up n running again soon. You give a lot of us saltwater guys/girls something to shoot for with your awesome display and craftsmanship. And give many of us so much input and help with different ideas you have. Along with sharing your build, which takes up much of your time. So speaking for myself and I'm sure for many others thank you for your contributions .

Success moving forward.......Craig

smtwinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can someone direct me to the page number that the replacement drain parts lists is located? I've looked around, either I'm overlooking it or just don't see it. TIA

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will continue to be an inspiration by not giving up like so many other have; keep on reefing man... looking forward to the next phase of this build!

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched to a triton like approach (large sump for chaeto), I am slowly weening off the carbon and GFO. So far everything looks great, I really love how the Ph is much higher.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud, best of luck on the reboot. Sorry that all this haponhap, I hate to see tanks restart.

I have been struggling to find something to use as a guide for my router and saw your setup way back in this thread. What is that? I am looking for something just like that, but all the local stores just sell metal straight guides.

Thanks @Broadfield

erichuyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read through this thread during spare moments in the past week. Very sad to see the current phase.
However nice to see you're taking this as a new lease on reefing :p
I've learned quite a lot from your thread for which I thank you and I've subscribed so I can be amazed by pictures and knowledge yet to come.

debees5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to make a 90 degree turn at the threaded to barbed chiller fitting at the chiller end of the manifold to keep that connection inside the sump and not out to the chiller compartment in my Red Sea Max S400. Do you have a recommendation as to where I can get this?

kodez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this entire thread, what an incredible system you have set-up! Easily the most aesthetically pleasing tank and engine room I've laid eyes on.
Shame about the decline of your corals but good attitude and i'm looking forward to see what you come up with for the reboot.
-K

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of messages here and for the life of me i can't find the thread or message with the exact plumbing parts to go from Red Sea to standard plumbing. I have a new Reefer 450 that was put on hold for a couple months and I have everything to get it up and running but a way to connect standard U.S. plumbing to Red Sea. I had the link but because it's been a while can't find it again. Home Depot and Lowe's near me don't have anything that works. Is the link below the piece and technique that works for certain? Thanks in advance for any help with this, very excited to finally put my tank up.

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/836-007-3-4-schedule-80-pvc-male-adaptor.html

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current state of tank:
FTS by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

FTS + Stand by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6030 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I am absolutely no stranger to posting build threads on a forum, just not of a reef tank... it's always been of vehicles.:) So this is my first!

I started with my first reef setup a couple years ago with an Innovative Marine 30 gallon Fusion. Great all-in-one tank, but I decided I wanted something bigger and with separate sump etc. When I saw that Red Sea was going to be releasing their new Reefer series, I started saving my money. I received it about 4 weeks ago and have already got most of it up and running... here's what I got going on so far.

**First off, I want to thank my wife! She agreed that it would be a good idea to convert our dining room into a reef viewing room.**

Ran home from work to meet the freight driver and we put it in the garage. I did a quick visual inspection before I went back to work.

IMG_3820 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_3819 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

After work I did a quick leak test and all was good. I then proceeded to assemble the stand.

IMG_3825 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I have (3) Hydra 52's going over it, so I got the rails all mounted before I shoved the stand up against wall.

IMG_3826 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Had my neighbor pop over and help me heft this thing onto the stand. I will say that 5/8" glass isn't light. I quickly started toying with scape ideas:

IMG_3899 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

This is one of my helpers:

IMG_3887 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Here is what I came up with on the scape... got it all cemented together so nothing budges. Also filled the tank with salt water and sand. There's plenty of clearance all around the rock for flow, cleaning of the back glass and swimming lanes for larger fish.

IMG_3937 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Our viewing chairs arrived to help finish off the room. We still need to get a different light fixture for the room, but that's the least of my concerns at the moment.

IMG_3978 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Next up, basement plumbing for salt water mixing, water changing etc!

Hi Toby, amazing tank. I'm in the process of setting up my 450 now and following your tips and tricks. You mention here about adding sand and I'm sure out of the 1000 plus pages it is discussed further. To save time in search could you please refer me to the pebble-like sand you used (link) and whether or not you'd suggest it? I'd like to try something different and feel that fine sand has a higher risk is scratches. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Bobby C.
Incloud Design

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Toby, amazing tank. I'm in the process of setting up my 450 now and following your tips and tricks. You mention here about adding sand and I'm sure out of the 1000 plus pages it is discussed further. To save time in search could you please refer me to the pebble-like sand you used (link) and whether or not you'd suggest it? I'd like to try something different and feel that fine sand has a higher risk is scratches. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Bobby C.
Incloud Design

The only thing you need to connect to the RSR plumbing is the fitting in your post from the other day and the RSR union that came with your reefer.

As has been mentioned before- unscrew the barbed nipple and use the 3/4 inch to slip fitting with 15 or so wraps of plumbers tape.

His list of supplies pertains to his particular manifold NOT how to connect to the reefer plumbing.

Depending on your sump space and manifold plans you will have specific plumbing fixtures and needs.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back