Broken Panworld Fan

serpent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I am on the site posting my build thread, I might as well post a DIY that I did a month or so back

What do you do when you have a broken Panworld fan? You make a new one. I purchased a used Panworld 100PX a while back and it didn't look like it had ever been cleaned. So during the disassembly of the fan, I accidentally cracked the center of the fan. With the crack, the fan didn't sit on the shaft well at all. So I was able to combine my two favorite hobbies, 3D printing and reefing.

3D Model:
fan.jpg

Fan being printed:
IMG_0872.jpg

Finished product:
IMG_0877.jpg

Excuse all the excess, that was the prototype to ensure the center shaft fit properly.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I've seen allot of guys take the fans off of theirs and put a heat sink and computer fan on it. It makes the pump near silent. There is a big thread about it on RC.

OP
OP
serpent

serpent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have seen those too. The fan that was removed was flat a blade design and this one is more like a fan. It is also lighter than the other.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those 3D printers are pretty neat. I have a 3D scanner at work that we use for reverse engineering and part inspection. It's good down to about +-23 micron. About 5 million faces per scan, which takes about 0.8 sec per scan. A client we have is into 3d printing metal. The can print almost anything now. Stainless, brass, steel, inconel. Although a machine that will do all that has a 9"X9"X12" bed and cost almost a million.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back