OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks way more blue in the pictures, it isn’t that blue in reality. That’s one thing I’ll need to work on, how to properly set the iPhone camera settings.
I’m running the stock Helius program in the Icon app, eventually I would like to tweak it but running so new with no corals I’m fine with it.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything has been clicking along just fine, no issues to speak of. I added a few bubble tips, originally had two and I thought that I had lost one, so I got another one… well, I didn’t lose it, it was just retracted. So now I have three BTAs for my four (4) clowns, maybe one day they will host in them. I also have a few encrusting montipora, one acropolis (but I think it’s getting burned by the lights, which I’m in the process of adjusting height on this weekend), and a couple others that I’m not 100% certain on. I thought they might have been cyphastrea, leptoseris, and possibly a stylo.

I just changed my light settings (mirror @MantisReef settings) so hopefully the corals start to look better. the acro (Purple Stylo) was doing good at first but now it looks like it has been getting blasted by my lights causing it to bleach. I’m hoping that I can save it, I need to keep reading posts on how to save a bleaching coral.

Current FTS:

Attachments

• F1E6C744-B469-4832-A8E6-1960B30BC2B9.jpeg
    F1E6C744-B469-4832-A8E6-1960B30BC2B9.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long overdue update:

Lost all corals, thought I lost the bubble tip but come to find out one of them split, so now I have three.

Didn’t realize how high my nitrates and phosphates were until 4-5 months ago. Been working to get them down to acceptable range(s); which I finally did through several 30+ gallon water changes and dosing Tropic Marin NP Bacto Balance. Brought those in to a good range and held there for a while. I have to pull out some dead frags and rearrange some of the new ones I got. I have two goni, hammer, a few acans, some zoas, and a couple ricordia.

And then I decided I wanted to increase my sump size (Trigger Platinum 34 to a Trigger Titanium 39) … which then led me into ordering a new overflow (Modular Marine 1600gph) … which then led me to completely gut the bottom of my stand and redo everything.

And that’s where I sit today. In the middle of drywall repairs, stand painting, drywall painting, all new 1” pvc drain lines and return line; new return pump; new heaters. The sickness is real.

All of this to the point of, I should have laid out the sump area better the first time and planned for future expansion. live and learn.

Oh yeah and I have taken over the basement bathroom to soak all of my accessory items and old sump in citric acid for days to get a nice good clean on it.

———

I will add that this “upgrade” has had several unplanned setbacks: 1) the overflow dimensions I gave to MM were wrong so the first one was way off; 2) I mis-ordered pvc pipe and had to reorder twice (pvc and fittings); 3) drywall and painting was not originally planned but needed since the bottom of the stand will be open and not covered.

The tank has been without water changes/exchanges for a few weeks now, all the fish are doing great, thankfully the water level is low enough and my powerheads high enough that they are churning the water surface and bring air into the tank. I will likely be losing a few frags due to these set-backs of my doing; however, coming out the other side I should have a much more solid setup.

Attachments

• IMG_3824.jpeg
    IMG_3824.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3823.jpeg
    IMG_3823.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3825.jpeg
    IMG_3825.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays update is a aggravating one:

I pretty much just nuked my tank. I was attempting to add nitrates via Ammonium Bicarbonate …. And I didn’t use TEASPOON TO MEASURE, I used tablespoon. I realized I made a massive error when my Alk alarm spiked to over 9.7dkh, ORP cratered out, I wasn’t able to get to the tank until 30 minutes ago. Half my fish are dead, snails are laying on the sanded, anemones are shriveled up balls. I’m pretty sure tomorrow morning I will have a total fish, invert, and corals loss. I’ll be amazed if I don’t but I am mentally preparing myself for the worst.

This is the result of not paying attention, not fully writing down formulations, and carelessness. Tomorrow when I get home from work will be the start of a 30% water change. I plan on doing that three more times this week to attempt at rebalancing the levels in the tank. I have to deal with a massive bubble algae issue that popped up, which is I suppose the only bright side; I’ll be able to really break all of that crap loose and siphon it out without worrying too much about the fish.

What a ****** end of an otherwise really great family weekend.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked the tank for any overnight casualties and I didn’t see any, curiously I did see my cleaner shrimp survived… so, that’s a plus??

I’m going to check nitrates when I get home and start to make up the 30g saltwater batch.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wel, two more casualties.

Springerii Damsels: gone.

I have four fish remaining, Picasso and Percula clownfish, Sailfin tang but he’s looking massively rough, and I think one more Springerii Damselfish. I am not optimistic on the last remaining fish, I am going to pull out all the loose rock corals, and break off any dead skeletons tonight. It will be a long and dreadful night for me.

No pity party though, I made a major mistake and I will learn from it and the resulting re-build will be even better. Might even take this opportunity to rip out all the rock work, really start over. That’s a knee jerk thought I had just now.

:::Sailfin is goner as well … there are two Springerii damselfish left and the two clownfish. Oh and the cleaner shrimp.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back