Brook fallow period question

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my original situation that lead me to where I am now:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...-same-time-velvet.957614/page-2#post-10926011

My 6 weeks of fallow is over tomorrow so I am planned a trip to a fish store a few hours from me this weekend (6 weeks and 5 days). Everywhere here it says 6 weeks for brook, velvet, ich, etc. I do see some people saying 76 days or some even longer. Basically, I am confused on the variety of answers and it is making me nervous on top of already being nervous to get fish again. I should be reasonably safe to get fish this weekend once again correct?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...-same-time-velvet.957614/page-2#post-10926011

My 6 weeks of fallow is over tomorrow so I am planned a trip to a fish store a few hours from me this weekend (6 weeks and 5 days). Everywhere here it says 6 weeks for brook, velvet, ich, etc. I do see some people saying 76 days or some even longer. Basically, I am confused on the variety of answers and it is making me nervous on top of already being nervous to get fish again. I should be reasonably safe to get fish this weekend once again correct?
76 days is an old rule while you can still perform it, many studies show that the life cycle of most parasites are 4-6 weeks and at times shorter with higher temperatures (80.5-81.5). six to eight weeks assures the cycle of protozoan is complete in which the parasite has no host fish and has died off
45-60 days is correct

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76 days is an old rule while you can still perform it, many studies show that the life cycle of most parasites are 4-6 weeks and at times shorter with higher temperatures (80.5-81.5). six to eight weeks assures the cycle of protozoan is complete in which the parasite has no host fish and has died off
45-60 days is correct
My tank stays around 80 so I think I should be okay. Thank you for clearing this up. Now I just have to worry about freshwater dips this weekend because they scare me

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 76 days is based on a study showing that one strain of Cryptocaryon survived during a study from (If I remember) the 1990's lasted 72 days - so 76 was picked as an insurance policy of sorts. Most of the Ich strains were gone after a much shorter time period as VetteGuy said. The standard fallow time for brooklynella is 6 weeks. I'm not aware that thats dependent on temperature as much as cryptocaryon though. FWIW - I have also seen people say 4 weeks. I would suggest at 6 weeks you're good to go. Hopefully you will quarantine your new fish:). Good Luck!!

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 76 days is based on a study showing that one strain of Cryptocaryon survived during a study from (If I remember) the 1990's lasted 72 days - so 76 was picked as an insurance policy of sorts. Most of the Ich strains were gone after a much shorter time period as VetteGuy said. The standard fallow time for brooklynella is 6 weeks. I'm not aware that thats dependent on temperature as much as cryptocaryon though. FWIW - I have also seen people say 4 weeks. I would suggest at 6 weeks you're good to go. Hopefully you will quarantine your new fish:). Good Luck!!
Thanks for the info, I'll have to look at that study too. I only have a 20g and these are the only fish going in there so my dt is kind of my qt in a way. I'll be ready this time to set up a hospital tank if things go south though. Thanks :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Plus didn't they run it in a sterile environment that was cold?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Plus didn't they run it in a sterile environment that was cold?
I don't think the water was 'exceptionally cold' - but You're correct - they were not tropical reef fish. I believe they were some kind of mullet - but I could be incorrect.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I go 60 days from Brooklynella and Amyloodinium. This works out to be 8 1/2 weeks. You've gone a bit more than 45 days. That *should* be o.k., but remember, the only real studies were done on Cryptocaryon (the 76 days number). All the rest is just guesswork.

The biggest concern I have is that people leave their tank fallow, then go and buy new fish and bring some disease right back in to the tank, and then think the fallow period "failed". Quarantine is best!

Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back