Brook? Please help!

Dorca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems we may have an outbreak of brook? But even my other fish, besides the clowns, are affected as well. Lost my fire fish, my blenny seems to be done for....

Did a fresh water dip...dosing kana and metro...x 2 days....noticed this a while back, like 2 weeks, but my family said I was seeing things till now its bad enough they see it as well.

I'm super devastated. Was told to search out humblefish on this site.

20210224_105130_capture.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Very much so. This has become very accelerated. The most noticeable thing with Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise, such as redness and fin rot.
Give it an immediate Freshwater dip matching the temperature with that of the display tank to offer temporary relief.
Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, the fish is given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.

OP
OP
D

Dorca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if these help?
Very much so. This has become very accelerated. The most noticeable thing with Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise, such as redness and fin rot.
Give it an immediate Freshwater dip matching the temperature with that of the display tank to offer temporary relief.
Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, the fish is given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.

Attachments

• 20210224_181221_03.mp4
    6.4 MB
  • 20210224_105154_capture.jpg
    20210224_105154_capture.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210224_105154.jpg
    20210224_105154.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
D

Dorca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I believe you're right that it definitely is brook :( I read i can buy formalin on Amazon? Do stores often carry it so I can get it faster? I feel my time is limited. Also, my LFS owner, tells me qt is pointless. I feel I've been given false info and I'm truly devastated. I blindly trusted him and now I've lost a handful of fish.

Attachments

• 20210220_172725.jpg
    20210220_172725.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210220_172720.jpg
    20210220_172720.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210220_172628.jpg
    20210220_172628.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210220_172725_capture(0).jpg
    20210220_172725_capture(0).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 27

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Brook it is

shanescycling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I believe you're right that it definitely is brook :( I read i can buy formalin on Amazon? Do stores often carry it so I can get it faster? I feel my time is limited. Also, my LFS owner, tells me qt is pointless. I feel I've been given false info and I'm truly devastated. I blindly trusted him and now I've lost a handful of fish.
Any LFS that tells you a QT is pointless is just looking to sell you more fish once you eventually get one with a disease that wipes out your others.
Good luck and I hope they pull thru there is great knowledge here

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask that LFS that if QT is pointless why don't they hold the fish in their tanks while you treat them?

OP
OP
D

Dorca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so mad at myself for believing all the reasons not to qt. I appreciate the information and I will be ordering all that's needed to set up quarantine at home and have learned a hard lesson for sure. I'm afraid it's too late for these fish. But I did order formaldehyde so if they make it long enough I will do the dip. The fresh water dips hopefully have helped buy me time. I have some hope because they've been affected for 2 weeks and are still eating and acting ok. Beating myself up pretty hard on this one.

OP
OP
D

Dorca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask that LFS that if QT is pointless why don't they hold the fish in their tanks while you treat them?
Ughhh truthfully. I am so freaking mad at myself for believing them and not believing my own research. Hard lesson learned. Like super hard. I am now researching the best way to set up QT and what to do...I'm thinking all fish into qt tank and letting the Dt go fallow for 45 days. But my concern is it will take a while for qt tank biologically be ready. Any tips?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ughhh truthfully. I am so freaking mad at myself for believing them and not believing my own research. Hard lesson learned. Like super hard. I am now researching the best way to set up QT and what to do...I'm thinking all fish into qt tank and letting the Dt go fallow for 45 days. But my concern is it will take a while for qt tank biologically be ready. Any tips?
You don't need the QT to be cycled. Fill with clean saltwater that's balanced (pH, salinity, temp) to your DT. Dip the fish and then transfer them straight to the QT. Keep the QT well aerated and do frequent water changes to control ammonia. An ammonia badge is a good idea too.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back