Brooklynella! Help please no medication! EMERGENCY

clownhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so my clowns have been in qt for a week or so now, one is doing fine and the other is looking worse and worse, today it can barely swim properly, and has developed a very washed our appearance, I think it has brooklynella, there’s like a coat of whiteness all over its body and it’s one eye too, fins are ripped and tail seems to be nipped. They are in copper power solution of 1.85 ppm. I don’t have any fish medication for brooklynella, as it’s not available in Canada. I do have human flagyl (Metronidazole) medication. Can I use that? I also have malachite green, can that be mixed with copper?

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert, and hopefully #reefsquad can help, but I would carefully do a large water change (50%+) to lower copper and try your best to not stress out the fish during this

then I would get general cure at your local pet supply store tomorrow and use it. Without pictures, it seems this could be a bacterial infection which can happen during copper quarantine.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree a pic an help a lot..best wishes

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have access to formalin - 37% . Mind you it’s a known carcinogen and shouldn’t be used . But for brooks , it’s the best treatment .

Or else Ruby rally reef ?

If nothing that you can get , I would start with 5 min freshwater dip and give 24-48 hrs between dips . Transfer to sterile tank in between every dip.

If you have access to formalin or ruby rally reef , can share the dosage details that have worked for me

OP
OP
C

clownhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I wish I could get any sort of real medication, but it’s been banned by the government here in Canada. The only things I can get is melafix and pimafix, and API super ich cure, even copper I could only find online and it took weeks to get here. No access to ruby reef rally or formalin.

Even the other clown has white spots now.

I did a 50% water change today, but it contained copper, should I lower the copper?

Here are some pictures:

D552A625-45E0-48EA-8E8D-E3A993105148.jpeg 38DED6EF-398E-4A80-9320-8B6EA38CFF7D.jpeg DC8E2B54-5159-4E3F-81AD-3DE414BE38B7.jpeg 2ABE6769-312E-4E62-83C0-8085852C71C8.jpeg 9D777755-CAD9-4634-B212-6914F47BE513.jpeg 55041748-A4C9-4733-90B4-1DCB69932D38.jpeg

I put the plastic plants to give them some hiding space in the qt

OP
OP
C

clownhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I put it in the empty display tank to get it out of the copper overnight? It will reset my fallow by a week so no big deal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yep- brooklynella. Start with freshwater dip. Unfortunately Formalin is scarcscas is quick cure. You can use neonyacin or aquarium pharmaceuticals ick guard which contains formalin OR get formaldehyde and dilute to 37%.
in the meantime although not the actual intention, you can use praziPro so that they get something internally/externally until proper treatment

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canadian government- Legalizing drugs and banning fish meds est. 2016.

I feel you!

Love from a fellow Canadian. I was in Richmond BC.

Are they captive bred Clowns or wild caught? What are your LFS’s practices when it comes to mixing water between systems?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree ,hope you have dipped already, if not, go time!!..temperate water..keep us posted,best wishes

OP
OP
C

clownhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies! Unfortunately it died overnight :(

I was going to do the water bath this morning as I thought it was so stressed last night it would die instantly in the bath.

Will the other suffer the same fate without help?

They were captive bred from a local fish store, but I don’t think I’m getting fish from there again

@vetteguy53081Unfortunately, I can’t get any of those medication in Canada

Should I stop the copper treatment? The other one looks fine for now, it was always healthier and bullied the other one a lot, maybe it was turning into the female.

Im new to the hobby, and now I’m wondering how I can get any fish without it dying from diseases like this since I have no option to even treat them

Poor thing:

D6022EB2-CCA0-45DF-BC65-060274ACC270.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Copper may kill fish.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For treating Brook without Formalin, treating in the Tank Transfer Method + plain old Hydrogen Peroxide can be very effective.

Starkrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies! Unfortunately it died overnight :(

I was going to do the water bath this morning as I thought it was so stressed last night it would die instantly in the bath.

Will the other suffer the same fate without help?

They were captive bred from a local fish store, but I don’t think I’m getting fish from there again

@vetteguy53081Unfortunately, I can’t get any of those medication in Canada

Should I stop the copper treatment? The other one looks fine for now, it was always healthier and bullied the other one a lot, maybe it was turning into the female.

Im new to the hobby, and now I’m wondering how I can get any fish without it dying from diseases like this since I have no option to even treat them

Poor thing:

D6022EB2-CCA0-45DF-BC65-060274ACC270.jpeg
I understand completely! I just lost my Royal Gramma and Mandarin goby to some weird illness that I couldn’t cure. Don’t give up!! Just be patient and take your time before bringing in any new fish. You can do it :)

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for now, it was always healthier and bullied the other one a lot, maybe it was turning into the female.

Realistically you cannot. At least not as a sure thing. I would suggest looking for fish from people tearing down tanks or simply looking to re home since they have been in captivity long term. Even new captive bred shipments will be likely exposed to disease at stores since as far as I know no one in Canada completely separates captive bred from wild.

You can look for a local vet who will prescribe you medications in the future but from what I understand this is going to be very pricey and they may not even keep the medicine on hand so who knows how long it will take to actually get to you. Besides the extreme hassle of bringing a fish to the vet.

In the mean time you can sign this :
https://**************/p/federal-go...ban-of-sale-of-fish-medication-in-fish-stores

Really I am surprised this ban has not been overturned yet. I would like to see more fighting from people in the industry since they have much more to lose then hobbyists losing a few pets. I stockpiled most medications before the ban came into effect but it looks like they will all expire before this ever changes if at all. I can't believe my stocking may be dictated by the expiration dates of my medications....

Back