Brooklynella help

Andres Pineda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I started with clowndfish thinking it was a good idea but since my fish #1 all of my fish had died from this.
I am a beginner so I didn't know what was happening , anyway after (6) dead fish from this brooklynella I only have left in the tank 2 live rocks , some nails and a coral.
Do you guys think everything is lost or what?

OP
OP
Andres Pineda

Andres Pineda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is never completely lost. How did you diagnose this?
Well after hundreds of dollars in fish, all of them showed to have the called brooklynella, I researched on yt and I'm almost sure that's what it is.
Because all of my fish started to show white pots plus it was hard for them to breathe and always trying really hard to stay straight but something was like pushing them to be on the side just laying on the ground.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a deep breath. It will be fine, I had the same problem over a year ago now, and my tank has never been better!
After a 6 week fallow, all brook remaining in the tank will be dead. Your coral and inverts will not be harmed, but they can carry it between tanks similar to how ich is transported. This is why dipping coral helps.
Always quarantine new fish to minimize chance of disease spread as well.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have no fish it becomes easy. All inverts will be fine. Just go fallow fishless for awhile. I went 76 days because that is what I heard at the time but could be less. Every since I got it in tank I quarantine new fish. Yes it sucks but recoverable. I never got it again

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw during fallow my tank exploded with copepods and amphipods which was cool and when I did add the new fish they had a feast

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have no fish it becomes easy. All inverts will be fine. Just go fallow fishless for awhile. I went 76 days because that is what I heard at the time but could be less. Every since I got it in tank I quarantine new fish. Yes it sucks but recoverable. I never got it again
Isn’t brook only 42 days, and ich is 76? With that said longer is always better. I went 90 to kill ich.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw during fallow my tank exploded with copepods and amphipods which was cool and when I did add the new fish they had a feast
Same here!
Do your best to start with captive bred clowns. They almost never get B!
Unless you didn’t do a real fallow like I did lol… Luckily I stopped it before it got bad then did a proper fallow.
But then there’s petco clowns…what don’t they have…

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my coral and nails are going to carry the brook or I can leave them in the tank and wait the 6 weeks?
They can stay in the tank. It cannot survive off of them, only use them for transportation. Without fish to feed on, the brook (same for velvet and ich) will starve and die.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back