Brooklynella

Mgex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats so cool

Yep. A freshwater dip is frequently used to temporarily rid the fish of parasites. Looks scary the first time you do it.

re_vogel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this thread I have read that some have eradicated Brook with multiple freshwater dips. Does anyone have a procedure for this process?

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I expect a combination of Metronidazole + Seachem focus feedings for a week to be a good course of action against Brook? Can't seem to find RubyReef Rally that will get here in time but I can get Metroplex/Focus delivered in a day.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a thread where Humblefish discusses treating sharks:

somechinesereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this Brooklynella? She's been like this for about 2 months now with no signs of healing up. I've been feeding her mysis soaked in selcon and she still eats like a pig, still active, no breathing abnormalities, and there's nothing wrong with any of the other fish in the tank. The clown she's paired with is smaller than her and they are hosting the anemone in the background. No aggression in the tank or any kind of fights that I can see either. No new fish or any other inhabitants other than some snails in the past 6 months.

IMG_20200422_184556.jpg
IMG_8476.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the spots raised up a bit and cottony, fibrous, or cauliflower looking in texture?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably some sort of bacterial infection. The fish's immune system seems to be adapting to it and it shows a bit. Consider treating with antibiotics in a "bath." Remove the fish and do the bath and then return it to the tank. And then observe. Prefer Ciprofloxacin for baths.

Also boost the fish's immune system by feeding food + vitamins (prefer Beta Glucan) +Focus to target feed the fish. BG has been used by the fish farming industry with great success. This is the one I use as it is algae derived:

IMG_2165.jpg

Wilson1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone have experience going fishless for six weeks to combat the problem? I'm wondering if this actually works? I've heard that a complete tear down and sanitation is required?

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I had brook :( Could treat the fish in time, everyone is all right in a QT tankwith metro.

My quetsion is:
The Display tank is empty (removed 100% of the salt water) - only dry rockwork. Is it enough to clean it with fresh tap water to get rid of the brook? Will fresh water kill all the remaining buggers from the glass / rock / pipes?

SrBlonde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gallon. I did water changes every week of about 25% and was able to save 3 of my fish with the metronidazole treatment as soon as I was able to get it in the email. I purchase from Aqua Algae. I did not add any more fish for about 12 weeks. That was 2 years ago. All is good.

TheWalkingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently lost a clown to Brooklynella, unfortunately I trusted my LFS and being new (absolutely not an excuse) tossed them right into DT. Now we are going fallow for 80 days. I immediately rushed around and got everything for a QT and threw it together with lightning speed to try and save my dude. He deserves to live. LFS recommended leaving him in DT and seeing what happened.

Currently treating tank with Seachem Prime and Seachem Metroplex. Unfortunately that was all I was able to find. I did give him a 5 minute FW dip. Is that something I'm to do everyday?

This thread has been very useful for a rookie like me.

PXL_20210210_210153230.jpg PXL_20210210_205850737.jpg

Last edited:

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just lost 1 clownfish to brook.

Tried freshwater dip on the 1 and seemed to help, however she did not survive overnight.

the other one seems healthy.

from what i read on the first post, the pathogen lives and dies in the fish. Should i be worried about the others in the display? Currently no signs of this disease on the other 1 clown, 1 blue tang, 1 flame angel.

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tried freshwater dip on the 1 and seemed to help, however she did not survive overnight.

from what i read on the first post, the pathogen lives and dies in the fish. Should i be worried about the others in the display? Currently no signs of this disease on the other 1 clown, 1 blue tang, 1 flame angel.

Definetly! Especially on damsels / clownfish!

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I still can't say I fully understand the fallow period for brook as discussed on several threads of min 6 weeks. (Ich is clearly documented). If brook lives and die on the fish...and there is a small chance that some drop off. Seems pretty low from some accounts. Does anyone know the documented lifecycle of brook? i.e. How long off a fish before it dies?

I think that would be key to understanding if you can simply dip a brook fish and return to DT w/o fallow. This is of course assuming the only disease you have is brook for this argument sake.

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can't say I fully understand the fallow period for brook as discussed on several threads of min 6 weeks. (Ich is clearly documented). If brook lives and die on the fish...and there is a small chance that some drop off. Seems pretty low from some accounts. Does anyone know the documented lifecycle of brook? i.e. How long off a fish before it dies?

I think that would be key to understanding if you can simply dip a brook fish and return to DT w/o fallow. This is of course assuming the only disease you have is brook for this argument sake.

I had 1 clown die from brook

The second clown also had it and was 1 day behind the first one

FIRST CLOWN i did a freshwater dip and put him back in the display in a fish net with a plastic cup to keep the net open. 24 hours after freshwater dip, the clown was dead.

SECOND CLOWN i did a freshwater dip and put him back in the sump with lower flow and he looked to be slowing down and dying. SO i set up a brand new quarantine with new RO/DI water... nothing from the old tank with SG of 1.01 with the same temperature and moved him from the sump to the quarantine tank after aclimating him to the 1.01 SG in a cup... made sure the water was moving in the cup and he didnt go idle... i think once they slow down, the brook kills them fast. Then i took him out and put him in the quarantine with good flow... really good flow, to keep him moving.

10 gallon tank
Eheim heater
Marineland polishing filter (also known as diatom filter)

The above procedure really helped and he is alive and kicking today.

The slome on the body took 12 hours to clear.

The ich took about 48 hours to clear.

H is eating about 5 pellets a day.

Looks healthy.

Im going to leave him in there for a couple weeks and raise the salinity to 1.025 after 4 weeks to match the diaplay (total of 6 weeks in quarantine) and then put him back in the display.

I also threw in some chaeto into the 10 gallon to establish some form of biofilter as the ammonia will spike and start a cycle. Going to keep an eye on the ammonia via test kit.

Last edited:

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note... i had many excuses to set up the quarantine, but in hindsight, probably the best thing i ever did for the fish and for emergencies.

Attachments

• 20210408_105742.jpg
    20210408_105742.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 62

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pics of the clown with the brook after fw dip

1 day later with some ich

2 days later with no ich

Note - I only did 1 fw dip on him. As he ate the second day, i did not want to hinder any progress given hyposalinity would get rid of the ich.

Attachments

• 20210413_191724.jpg
    20210413_191724.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 66

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back