Brooklynella

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of Formalin. It contains known carcinogens which can cause health issues later for the fish. For Brook, my own preferred method is to do a bath in an acriflavine product like Ruby Reef Rally. 60-90 minute bath and then placed into a fresh QT. May have to repeat this, but have had great success with just one bath for 90 minutes as Brook is a surface parasite and the RRR takes care of it quite nicely. Also like RRR as it has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities which help to avoid secondary bacterial infections.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of Formalin. It contains known carcinogens which can cause health issues later for the fish. For Brook, my own preferred method is to do a bath in an acriflavine product like Ruby Reef Rally. 60-90 minute bath and then placed into a fresh QT. May have to repeat this, but have had great success with just one bath for 90 minutes as Brook is a surface parasite and the RRR takes care of it quite nicely. Also like RRR as it has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities which help to avoid secondary bacterial infections.
This is great advice. Metroplex often takes care of it as well as CP.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can fish survive without treatment? Can Brooklynella be in a DT for months or even longer without treatment or killing fish?
This is great advice. Metroplex often takes care of it as well as CP.

Are you saying that Metroplex can also be a treatment for Brooklynella?

Thanks,
Shelley

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Gary. I have read through it. I ran into this thread while doing other research. And a light went off! Some of my mollies have these symptoms. While my clown fish, angels, tang, butterfly and a few others show no symptoms. They have been in this tank for a year or more. The mollies appear to be the only ones affected.

Not sure what my next coarse of action will be. ;Sorry

Shelley

Okinawa_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this thread up once again...last year I had lost two fish to brook. Though my 6 line wrasse did not get infected and he’s still in the tank. The fish that I lost to brook was probably about 5 months ago. I never did remove the 6 line as he didn’t show any symptoms. Is it safe to introduce new fish I currently have that has made it through quarantine? Should I be taking any precautious measures?

Okinawa_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this thread up once again...last year I had lost two fish to brook. Though my 6 line wrasse did not get infected and he’s still in the tank. The fish that I lost to brook was probably about 5 months ago. I never did remove the 6 line as he didn’t show any symptoms. Is it safe to introduce new fish I currently have that has made it through quarantine? Should I be taking any precautious measures?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can fish survive without treatment? Can Brooklynella be in a DT for months or even longer without treatment or killing fish?

Are you saying that Metroplex can also be a treatment for Brooklynella?

Thanks,
Shelley
Metro is an alternative treatment for brook.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Gary. I have read through it. I ran into this thread while doing other research. And a light went off! Some of my mollies have these symptoms. While my clown fish, angels, tang, butterfly and a few others show no symptoms. They have been in this tank for a year or more. The mollies appear to be the only ones affected.

Not sure what my next coarse of action will be. ;Sorry

Shelley
Sometimes clowns become carriers of the parasites and other species seem somewhat immune. Perhaps not with the mollies. So you have the parasites in your DT :(

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you are unable to transfer tanks? Should another option like metro + repeated baths be used? My clownfish pair are in their own biocube. There's no coral, so I'm not worried about the solution being reef safe.

I already have a quarantine set up for my mixed reef. There's 3 fish in a 20l....so there's also no more room/space for at least a month if not longer.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just whether particular meds are reef safe, but that they also effect the biofilm in the tank in that it can create a condition where the biofilm can develop resistance to the med and or other similar meds making their future use effectiveness questionable.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just whether particular meds are reef safe, but that they also effect the biofilm in the tank in that it can create a condition where the biofilm can develop resistance to the med and or other similar meds making their future use effectiveness questionable.

So is this a fast process? Or could I treat the tank for the recommended 6 weeks, and keep in mind that the tank will only be treated once because my quarantine would/will be free by then anyway...and thus I won't need to be worried about antibiotic resistance given the fish wouldn't be treated in the same tank again.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Reef Rally would be my choice for a setup like you describe. They claim it to be reef safe so the effect on treating the tank should be minimal, and the acriflavine in it should do the job on Brook's free swimming parasites in the tank water. Could consider also to give the fish baths in a formalin based product like Hikari's Quick Ick X, that would double the treatment which is a good idea for Brook. It can be a difficult parasite to eliminate.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro is an alternative treatment for brook.

What is the treatment protocol to use Metro to treat brook? Is it 500mg per 20 gallon? Would treatment of an entire system with metro be a legitimate way of dealing with this parasite?

Bsouder2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you find formalin at 37%? Amazon is out.
I need to treat the shoe tank. I have coral and anemones in my tank.
My clownfish had it but died. I still have other fish in my tank

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like brook or ich? I don’t see any mucus type stuff on them.

1E7F7EE7-DB4C-4688-9887-78F36961DDA7.jpeg

AB8F9AEE-925D-42B8-8923-62D6FF037131.jpeg

DC2B100B-5301-4968-ADC0-4608EC3EBF22.jpeg

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be early stage brook. Unfortunately, brook presents like Ich and or velvet in the early stage.

Thank you. Can it be caused by stress? Fish didn’t show any signs until after drip acclimation. They were at the store for 3 months before I bought them and 30+ days in my observation tank before I put them in DT. I floated them in the observation tank and drip acclimated to the DT. So 4+ months no signs of anything.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back