Brown algae? (Pic included)

soonermitzi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is brown algae or not, but we have tried to get rid of it and cannot! We have several Mexican turbo snails, blue leg hermits and a conch and still we can't keep it away. Any advice?
image.jpg

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a more holistic approach to this problems. There are many factors that can contribute to this problem. Although one may be the overriding factor, you should address each one of them to insure that you have solved this problem. Here is a good article that will help explain the cause and some of the remedies:
BlueGrAlgae

Tank Girl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cyano algae. Snails and crabs won't help. What is your water parameters? Most times cyano bacteria appearance are related to water chemistry, lack of the water movement, improper lighting.

jedidad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is actually a bacterial colony that thrives when nitrates and phosphates get out of control. I see that you are running a nano which is very easy to get to much of these. Usually this is caused by too much bioload or too much feeding. What is your stock list and how often and what do you feed.? Over stocking in a nano is often a problem. I had a 29g biocube and found that I had to do weekly water changes to keep my parameters under control.

OP
OP
S

soonermitzi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are doing water changes about every 10 days, so we will start making sure it's once every 7 days. We are probably over feeding we have guessed. We have 2 clowns, an anemone, goby, pistol shrimp, 2 emerald crabs, less than 10 corals, 7 tiny blue leg hermits, 3 Mexican turbo's, a regular hermit crab and 4 nassarius snails. After all the feedback we need to up our water flow a bit and feed less. Like I said, we are going to start doing water changes once a week as well. Thanks for the feedback!

jedidad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you siphon out as much of the cyano as you can when you when you do your water changes. It would probably be a good ideal to siphon it out every day until the problem is taken care of. Doing this will help export the nutrients that the cyano takes up.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found it easier to get rid of first with Chemiclean then doing the correct preventative measures ie: better water movement, weekly water changes, skim more, make sure to not overfeed vs cutting back feeding. One it is under control I go back to regular water changes every 2-4 weeks. Lighting changes seemed to not make a difference.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back