Brown mucus on GSP

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Woke up this morning and found that my new (2 day old) GSP had developed a big patch of brown mucus overnight. It wasn't algae, it moved with the water flow. The GSP hasn't come out since I put it in the tank. Is this surprising GSP behavior? Do they ever produce their own mucus? Or should I be attacking this like it's brown slime disease?

I have increased the water flow in the tank because I think it was too low, so maybe that'll help. GSP seemed to start poking out a bit more after that...might be my imagination.

Thanks!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other corals are in the aquarium any LPS corals? They can put out a brown discharge that may have settled on the GSP.

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have, for example, a candy cane coral. I got rid of the stuff, but it seems to be developing again, but quite slowly this time. Was also thinking that maybe some flake food got stuck on it, it was pretty shocking that it appeared overnight.

Anyway, I think I'm in wait and see mode at the moment on the brown stuff. Now I just need to figure out why the polyps aren't coming out.

jgalina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have the exact same issue, how did your GSP evolve? Did it solve itself with the increased flow? Hopefully it did.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back