Brown polyp corals turning white

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6CD2AFE2-63CA-4AAA-AD55-D579CEF24E3C.jpeg
image.jpg
Hello. I am dealing with dinos at the moment and been dosing macrobacter7 and tim’s waste away alternating days. Only thing that has changed. And these were bright brown with green tint, now they are shriveling and have a white hue. What could be happening? Thanks in advance

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look sort of like they’re starting to bleach, have you changed your lighting? Also, what are your parameters (if you have Dinos, I’m assuming that your nutrients are out of balance or bottoming out, which can have a negative effect on corals)? I don’t think it would be the the bacteria that you’re adding, though I would be careful about adding too much, you don’t want a bacteria bloom as it can use all the dissolved oxygen in your water (dinos can do this too) and it could asphyxiate your fish/inverts.

OP
OP
F

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look sort of like they’re starting to bleach, have you changed your lighting? Also, what are your parameters (if you have Dinos, I’m assuming that your nutrients are out of balance or bottoming out, which can have a negative effect on corals)? I don’t think it would be the the bacteria that you’re adding, though I would be careful about adding too much, you don’t want a bacteria bloom as it can use all the dissolved oxygen in your water (dinos can do this too) and it could asphyxiate your fish/inverts.
Have not changed my lighting, I did lower the power for a day or so to help with dinos. last test was done yesterday, Pho- 0 ammonia - 0 alk 9.3 Nitrite - 0 nitrate- 0 I am waiting for some stuff to come in to get my pho up to help with dinos. hmmm...not sure what else this could be

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not changed my lighting, I did lower the power for a day or so to help with dinos. last test was done yesterday, Pho- 0 ammonia - 0 alk 9.3 Nitrite - 0 nitrate- 0 I am waiting for some stuff to come in to get my pho up to help with dinos. hmmm...not sure what else this could be
Your phosphates and nitrates being 0 could be the cause, Palythoas like somewhat ‘dirty’ water. Another thing to maybe consider is that Dinos can release toxins into the water, I would run some carbon (if you aren’t already).

OP
OP
F

fsas89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates and nitrates being 0 could be the cause, Palythoas like somewhat ‘dirty’ water. Another thing to maybe consider is that Dinos can release toxins into the water, I would run some carbon (if you aren’t already).
I run carbon in my canister filter and my HOB has these carbon pads. My Pho has been 0 for a while, the only thing I can think is my nitrates have been whacky since the dinos came. 3-5-0ppm like all over the place.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon in my canister filter and my HOB has these carbon pads. My Pho has been 0 for a while, the only thing I can think is my nitrates have been whacky since the dinos came. 3-5-0ppm like all over the place.
It could be that they’re just starting to physically show their reaction to zero phosphates (it’s generally a slow degradation), they could’ve been slowly reacting and you’re just now visibly seeing the reaction. But it’s one of those things where you just have to trouble shoot. Work on fixing one thing at a time and you’ll eventually find the culprit.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back