Brown Residue on RO Pails

  • Thread starter Thread starter Freenow54
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Freenow54

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 5, 2021
Messages
7,579
Reaction score
6,053
Location
Ontario Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what the brown coating is on the walls of my plastic garbage mixing pails is ? I have to wipe it off withy paper towels
 
I assume you are referring to brown residue in the container you are using to mix salt. If so, then it is likely due to the salt you are using. To avoid/significantly reduce the amount of brown residue you can use a clear mixing salt like Nyos Pure, ESV, or Tropic Marine.
 
Using Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals?
The brown residue from these 2 salt mixes is common.
 
Instant Ocean (the normal one) can, like other high alk mixes, leave some precipitation of calcium carbonate. I do not feel the need to worry about or remove it if that is the sort of precipitate under discussion.
 
Yes I should have said that. Its Fritz high Alk . Clay like just a film just your ordinary plastic garbage pails

You could just ignore it.

I’ve never really understood why folks are so worried about precipitates. Using the phrase “mixes clean” seems to imply those with precipitates are “dirty”, which I think drives folks to assume it’s somehow bad.
 
In the decades I've used IO and RC, I've just gotten used to wiping down my mixing containers.
I was told long ago it was harmless from someone I trusted and I just went with that ever since.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new