Brown spots after introducing my first coral

Angel_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a saltwater tank over a month ago, and it stayed spotless and clean until I added a colt coral. 2 days after introducing the coral, it started to get smaller and smaller and shrivel. I also see a lot of slime hanging from its tips. My research made me believe this is normal and is part of coral growth and I just need to wait it out, but correct me if I am wrong. But today, 5 days into adding the coral, I am noticing several brown spots on the rock it is sitting on and on the gravel beneath. I could not find answers online. What is causing the spots (encircled in images) and what should be my course of action here? Any guidance will be appreciated. Thank you!
Tank inhabitants: clownfish pair, royal gramma, candy stripe pistol shrimp and colt coral (as shown in pictures)
My salinity is currently low 1.017. My other parameters are:
  • ph between 7.8 and 8.0
  • ammonia between 0.25 and 5ppm
  • nitrite 0
  • nitrate between 5.0 and 10 ppm

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

OP
OP
Angel_Leo

Angel_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to correct my salinity. A few weeks ago it was dangerously high, and I did a huge water change and brought to to a decent level. However, it went even lower a couple weeks later on its own. I will correct it. To my knowledge I did take care to cycle my tank, but of course I am missing something. My ammonia seems to have recently gone up. During the last test it was zero. What do you think of the brown spots? And is my colt coral dying?
I know why you'd be worried about the fish. They are actually doing fine. They eat everything I feed them and are very active.

shamin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral does not look well. It most likely has to do with the salinity. Also the salinity should
be changed gradually. I feel it should be around 1.025 try bringing it to that gradually.

OP
OP
Angel_Leo

Angel_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I increased my salinity to 1.019 today. I’m going to do another water change on the weekend to bring it above 1.020.
@shamin isnt 1.025 the upper limit? I don’t know if I wanna raise it that high. I’m thinking of stopping at 1.022 or 23.
My coral is still looking bad but I think it’s alive. And I still have brown spots.

shamin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone keeps their levels different. Most corals just take time to adjust just dont do it all at once like i said. My fish and coral seem to be pretty happy at 1.025 but thats me

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.024 - 1.026 is what a normal reef should be at for salinity.

The ocean's nominal salinity is 35 PPT or 1.0264 SG.

Fish can be kept at lower salinities, but coral should be kept around 1.024 to 1.026.

Your colt coral is probably suffering from being in salinity that is way to low.

Brown spots on the sand and rock is diatoms that are very typical in a new tank and usually burn themselves out once all the available silicates are used up( Part what we refeer to as new tank uglies).

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I increased my salinity to 1.019 today. I’m going to do another water change on the weekend to bring it above 1.020.
@shamin isnt 1.025 the upper limit? I don’t know if I wanna raise it that high. I’m thinking of stopping at 1.022 or 23.
My coral is still looking bad but I think it’s alive. And I still have brown spots.

1.025 isn't the upper limit...it's where you salinity should be kept at. Keeping your salinity low will only cause you more problems with your livestock.

OP
OP
Angel_Leo

Angel_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I will definitely work on my salinity levels. Now I’m worried though. Will my coral survive till I gradually bring my salinity up?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals should be fine as long as the drop in salinity was gradual, meaning bring it back up gradually. The easiest way is to just top off with salt water instead of fresh, mixed to 1.026 of course.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The coral looks like it's melting...might want to pull it out to be on the safe side. Having it fall apart in the tank will cause more problems to deal with.

OP
OP
Angel_Leo

Angel_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral looks like it's melting...might want to pull it out to be on the safe side. Having it fall apart in the tank will cause more problems to deal with.
I don't have a quarantine tank or a refuge tank. By pulling it out you mean...?

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Throwing it away. If it fully melts, it'll foul out the water. See the red arrow...when I see the long stringy nasty looking stuff on a coral or anemone, it's usually a sign that it's dying and on it's way out. It'll melt into a pile of decaying mush inside of your tank.

IMG_0346.jpg

OP
OP
Angel_Leo

Angel_Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Threw out the colt coral. Couldn't risk my fishes suffering from contamination. Thank you @j.falk for your suggestion. Thanks to everyone for your advice on salinity, I am working on it.
Question: Have I already contaminated my tank by keeping a dying coral in it for 5 or so days? If yes, what can I do to correct my water?
Side note: I do want to prep my tank to accommodate a soft coral (suited for beginners) a couple months later. Doing my research and purchases (additives, conditioners, tests, etc). Any advice appreciated.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If it was melting for 5 days, then yes, it's been polluting your water the entire time. To correct this do a small water change to clean things back up.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Keeping soft corals is fairly easy...they like tanks with dirty water (fish poop). No need to buy anything extra...just feed your fish and the fish poo will feed the corals. Very simple. :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back