Brown spots on yellow eye tang

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Can someone help me identify these brown spots that started appearing on my yellow eye tang in a QT tank?
I started copper about 4 days ago, but i'm not sure if the spots were there before or not. Can it be related?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-3820.MOV
    17.9 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,

Can someone help me identify these brown spots that started appearing on my yellow eye tang in a QT tank?
I started copper about 4 days ago, but i'm not sure if the spots were there before or not. Can it be related?

Thanks
Cant open video. Perhaps try You tube video.
Which copper product are you using and how are you testing the levels?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Thanks

Those spots are not related to copper use. From what I can see, those are tang turbellarians, an encysted worm parasite fairly common in tangs and a few other species.

Treating it can be difficult, copper won't help. Luckily, many cases of this are "self limiting" they go away on their own. You can help with that by siphoning the bottom of the tank each morning to try and remove the infective life cycle. Formalin dips are the best treatment, but formalin is difficult to acquire and toxic to use around people. Many people suggest using praziquantel, but that is actually for a different species of worm. Praziquantel also doesn't outright kill the worm, it just stuns them and they fall off the fish. The problem with these worms is that they are in cysts, and so do not fall off as readily, then they recover and are still on the fish.

Jay

OP
OP
Dvir

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spots are not related to copper use. From what I can see, those are tang turbellarians, an encysted worm parasite fairly common in tangs and a few other species.

Treating it can be difficult, copper won't help. Luckily, many cases of this are "self limiting" they go away on their own. You can help with that by siphoning the bottom of the tank each morning to try and remove the infective life cycle. Formalin dips are the best treatment, but formalin is difficult to acquire and toxic to use around people. Many people suggest using praziquantel, but that is actually for a different species of worm. Praziquantel also doesn't outright kill the worm, it just stuns them and they fall off the fish. The problem with these worms is that they are in cysts, and so do not fall off as readily, then they recover and are still on the fish.

Jay

Should I isolate the fish from the other 2 fish in QT (****** trigger, emperor angelfish?
I will siphon each morning, but not planning on doing formalin and wondering, is it practical to not get this parasite onto my DT?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here's a link on onedrive: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsvAp_GmQ5dTg89QzxK8ThZs6grNsQ
Using copper power with hanna checker
The video is a little fuzzy but I can sort of make them out. It appears to be bacterial or worms and may be associated with water in the quarantine tank. Assure you are monitoring water in the QT tank. You can safely treat with Ruby Rally pro or Sera Tremazolee which is similar to Prazi Pro.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ammonia - 0 (Seachem badge)
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 25
PH - 8.1
I will not trust a seachem badge (also for freshwater) and Api kit to sustain/maintain Hundreds in Livestock. I recommend hanna, salifert, nyos brand for reliability. If none of these available in your country, SERA would be next choice

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I isolate the fish from the other 2 fish in QT (****** trigger, emperor angelfish?
I will siphon each morning, but not planning on doing formalin and wondering, is it practical to not get this parasite onto my DT?

Thanks!

I have not seen this disease spread to triggerfish or emperor angelfish. However, moving these fish to your DT depends on what fish are in there...any tangs?

Jay

OP
OP
Dvir

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen this disease spread to triggerfish or emperor angelfish. However, moving these fish to your DT depends on what fish are in there...any tangs?

Jay
Yes, there is a sailfin tang and a blue tang in my DT.

OP
OP
Dvir

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would be at risk for catching this then.
Jay
Ok so if not using formalin what should be my plan?

Daily siphons and wait for symptoms to disappear? How long after that should I transfer all 3 to DT?

Thanks

OP
OP
Dvir

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I'm seeing spots on the emperor angelfish now as well. Could it be that he caught it too? :anguished-face:

Attachments

• IMG_3831.MOV
    20.4 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I'm seeing spots on the emperor angelfish now as well. Could it be that he caught it too? :anguished-face:

The emperor looks more like it has marine ich, Cryptocaryon. What copper product are you using and what is the dose?

Jay

OP
OP
Dvir

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emperor looks more like it has marine ich, Cryptocaryon. What copper product are you using and what is the dose?

Jay
Using Copper Power and aiming for 2.5 reading by hanna. I got a bit higher though, at 2.62 currently

OP
OP
Dvir

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so if not using formalin what should be my plan?

Daily siphons and wait for symptoms to disappear? How long after that should I transfer all 3 to DT?

Thanks
@Jay Hemdal - would love for your feedback here. I'm not sure what would be the definition of done for this QT cycle, when would it be "safe" to introduce to DT?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal - would love for your feedback here. I'm not sure what would be the definition of done for this QT cycle, when would it be "safe" to introduce to DT?
I typically wait 30 days beyond the last date that symptoms were seen, but some people say 14 days is sufficient.
Jay

OP
OP
Dvir

Dvir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically wait 30 days beyond the last date that symptoms were seen, but some people say 14 days is sufficient.
Jay

Sorry, I should have been more precise. I was referring to the tang turbellarians. Is it the same answer?

Thanks

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.1%
Back