Brown spots on yellow tang please help.

crystal181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang has developed these brown spots today. It’s possible that it could have started yesterday. I’ve had him and a flame angel in quarantine with no meds just prime for 16 days. The flame angel had one white spot about a week ago but the next day it was gone. I’ve been checking everyday and haven’t seen anymore. He is still eating well. Any advice would be much appreciated.
1872BD10-6319-4F15-83BF-5A1996C89620.jpeg

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks bacterial. I’d start General Cure mixed with food as long as it’s eating.

Do you have any meds on hand?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

crystal181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks bacterial. I’d start General Cure mixed with food as long as it’s eating. If not eating then nitrofuracin green (NFG) would be what I try.

Do you have any meds on hand?
No I don’t. Is that something you can get at petsmart or petco?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not bad yet but looks like an early stage bacterial infection.

Metroplex, Kanaplex, and furan-2 in a QT are probably the best option at this point. You may be able to find the meds locally. We have a store that carries all of them here, but it's not a national chain.

OP
OP
C

crystal181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not bad yet but looks like an early stage bacterial infection.

Metroplex, Kanaplex, and furan-2 in a QT are probably the best option at this point. You may be able to find the meds locally. We have a store that carries all of them here, but it's not a national chain.

Him and a flame angel are in a quarantine now. Will it hurt to keep the flame angel in during treatment?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Since I am kinda going through an ick break out in my own tank I did tons and tons of reading like ridiculous. Interesting enough that when a fish has ick parasites attached to it, they will form small little dark spots.
This is before the mucus builds up and that’s when you see the white spots from ick.

Now it could also be bacterial as well, but have you noticed any tiny spots on his fins? It’s a positive that he is already in Qt so I would definitely treat for ick and velvet and since they can cause secondary infections wouldn’t hurt to treat with some antibacterial meds. On a side note it would also help to boost the fish immune system by simply dropping a 500mg vitamin c pill or use powder and mix it up etc. b12 vitamins would also help boost the immune system in your fish.

Important note, it’s extremely ideal to not stress the fish any more and to keep it calm. Vitamin c helps with that as well, and I could suggest using really good frozen mysis with garlic guard and a flake food with probiotics.

As I state this I’m not an expert nor do I claim to be. However I as of Monday had an ick break out in my 240 display tank and the fish have been in there for 18 months and only 2 showed signs of ick. By today yes the spots have dissapated drastically. This does not mean they are healed and good to go. I’m not out of the woods, it just simply means the parasite has dropped off and now making babies (lovely). As of today none of my other fish show signs of ick or flashing etc. so with that said, (yes copper is the best way to go when they are not stuck in a reef tank (240 gallon). Where is not easy to even get the rocks out, but I would start the copper treatment right away. I would make sure your very familiar with this. Yes copper kills the parasites and that’s a great thing. But copper is also very hard on the fish as well and you definitely need to Id the infection correctly.

I know it’s stressful (I have been super stressed) but expect the worse and hope for the best. I definitely hope your little guys pull through. Remember anything wet from that tank can contaminate your display if it’s ick or velvet. That being snails crabs corals nets you anything. So be very cautious that’s where I messed up. I wasn’t smart enough to know that they can transfer from nets to snails to crabs etc. do lots of reading and lots more. There are lots of things out there and some contradict others. I can only speak to my one ick experience and so far what has worked st the moment. I very easily could wake up to a snow storm tomorrow as well.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually looks like a yellow tang would for osmotic shock. Did you do a water change recently? Quick increases in salinity will cause these marks on yellow tangs, most noticeably due to the color.

OP
OP
C

crystal181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Since I am kinda going through an ick break out in my own tank I did tons and tons of reading like ridiculous. Interesting enough that when a fish has ick parasites attached to it, they will form small little dark spots.
This is before the mucus builds up and that’s when you see the white spots from ick.

Now it could also be bacterial as well, but have you noticed any tiny spots on his fins? It’s a positive that he is already in Qt so I would definitely treat for ick and velvet and since they can cause secondary infections wouldn’t hurt to treat with some antibacterial meds. On a side note it would also help to boost the fish immune system by simply dropping a 500mg vitamin c pill or use powder and mix it up etc. b12 vitamins would also help boost the immune system in your fish.

Important note, it’s extremely ideal to not stress the fish any more and to keep it calm. Vitamin c helps with that as well, and I could suggest using really good frozen mysis with garlic guard and a flake food with probiotics.

As I state this I’m not an expert nor do I claim to be. However I as of Monday had an ick break out in my 240 display tank and the fish have been in there for 18 months and only 2 showed signs of ick. By today yes the spots have dissapated drastically. This does not mean they are healed and good to go. I’m not out of the woods, it just simply means the parasite has dropped off and now making babies (lovely). As of today none of my other fish show signs of ick or flashing etc. so with that said, (yes copper is the best way to go when they are not stuck in a reef tank (240 gallon). Where is not easy to even get the rocks out, but I would start the copper treatment right away. I would make sure your very familiar with this. Yes copper kills the parasites and that’s a great thing. But copper is also very hard on the fish as well and you definitely need to Id the infection correctly.

I know it’s stressful (I have been super stressed) but expect the worse and hope for the best. I definitely hope your little guys pull through. Remember anything wet from that tank can contaminate your display if it’s ick or velvet. That being snails crabs corals nets you anything. So be very cautious that’s where I messed up. I wasn’t smart enough to know that they can transfer from nets to snails to crabs etc. do lots of reading and lots more. There are lots of things out there and some contradict others. I can only speak to my one ick experience and so far what has worked st the moment. I very easily could wake up to a snow storm tomorrow as well.

Thank you so much

OP
OP
C

crystal181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually looks like a yellow tang would for osmotic shock. Did you do a water change recently? Quick increases in salinity will cause these marks on yellow tangs, most noticeably due to the color.

I do 25% every 2-3 days. I’m going to do a 50% today as I have .25 ammonia and nitrites. 80 nitrates. The salinity is matched when doing water changes. Today it was a bit higher due to evaporation at 1.026 I usually try to stay at 1.025

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to consider doing smaller daily water changes. Freshly mixed saltwater can be kinda harsh on fish. So a smaller dose of new saltwater would be a bit easier on your fish in QT.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 25% every 2-3 days. I’m going to do a 50% today as I have .25 ammonia and nitrites. 80 nitrates. The salinity is matched when doing water changes. Today it was a bit higher due to evaporation at 1.026 I usually try to stay at 1.025

It could be the ammonia causing the issue... in addition to a water change, I’d get some bio-spira or Dr. Tims. Prime only temporarily binds ammonia, so it is good to hold you over until you can do a water change... but is more like a bandaid than a cure.

Kamila89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

[/QUOTE
I have a 75 gallons and I’m cycling a 135 gallons, in my 75 has ick and parasites and actually happened unexpectedly my water is good, I give vitamins I really pay attention to my tank and I’m in this frustrating situation and more annoying when I was thinking in transfer everything from my 3 years old tank to the new one and now this happened. I don’t care about the stuff, I’m worry about my invertebrates (i don’t have corals) if they’re carrying the ick eggs how can I clean them or can I do a fresh water dip kind of thing?

Back