Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17FAEB15-0D96-44FE-9FB7-F716A880CB1F.jpeg
84A5410C-E2A4-4B4C-A004-CFC52504CCC4.jpeg
Hey everyone!
So I had this monti for a month then moved it’s location a week ago to make room for acro on the top and this is what the monti does to me. Is it normal for this to happen? I would say less flow and lighting from before. It had tiny polyps to start with. Then brown. My values have been stable however I have been lowering DKH from 10 to an easier 8. Am now about 9 over the course of a week I dropped that 1. Other than that everything is stable 440 calcium 1350 mag 1.025 salt 0 phosphates (at least on my test min is .25) also running GFO and carbon. I set the tank up 4 months ago 2 x Kessil a360we over 75 gal. I was already told to get reefbrite add ins. 1-5 nitrates but never over 5. It’s still in a decent area for lighting however wanted the more expensive acro to the top .. I’ll attach a full tank view as well. Any thoughts maybe a movement or lighting or flow issue?

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. A few general tips. Remove the glass lids they block light and hold in heat. Move your lights up, 10-12"from the the top of the tank. This will give better spread and reduce the hot spots under the Kessiels. You may want to add a 3rd A360 along with some Reef Brites. As for the Superman monit, the true superman blue base with red polyps, loves light and flow. Looks best u der 14-20k spectrum, MH is best IMO. IME its a really hardy coral, grows fast and keps its color very well. In fact I never had it fade or brown. I would guess I had mine at around 200-250ish PAR under MH 250W but the mother colony and being cooked under a 400w SE Radium and looked great. I will see ifnI can dig up a pic of my old SMM.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. A few general tips. Remove the glass lids they block light and hold in heat. Move your lights up, 10-12"from the the top of the tank. This will give better spread and reduce the hot spots under the Kessiels. You may want to add a 3rd A360 along with some Reef Brites. As for the Superman monit, the true superman blue base with red polyps, loves light and flow. Looks best u der 14-20k spectrum, MH is best IMO. IME its a really hardy coral, grows fast and keps its color very well. In fact I never had it fade or brown. I would guess I had mine at around 200-250ish PAR under MH 250W but the mother colony and being cooked under a 400w SE Radium and looked great. I will see ifnI can dig up a pic of my old SMM.
Gonna have to respectfully disagree. All my tanks have either glass lids or canopies. Glass lids are great and I prefer them over all other options.

They do a great job of reducing evaporation while letting nearly all light pass through. Measure your PAR with and without the glass, it'll be a negligible difference.

There are theoretical tradeoffs but I dont find either to matter in reality. Yes, reducing evaporation holds in heat. But I'm paying for that heat. I see this as a feature, not a bug. And yes it reduces gas exchange, but I'm pretty sure skimmer + falling to sump brings dissolved oxygen levels to saturation anyway. Adding mroe gas exchange to such a system would not change anything.

My 2 cents

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one reason I took my glass lids off, always ran open top anyways. If it works for you great. All the water forming on the glass lids reduced the light that makes it in the tank, then in time algae will grow on it. I aslo use MH which puts off more heat.

20180613_084926_resized.jpg

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe BRS did a comparison with glass lids also and stated the par difference is minimum..as long as you clean them

OP
OP
A

AspiringReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cat. Thus the glass top so she doesn’t go for a swim. I was going to get some t5 hybrid going to boost par and reduce shading as soon as I can afford it. Sounds like I just need more par. Hopefully it survives until I get them.
Thanks everyone.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back