BRS and Neptune Merger

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone got excited that they found an investor who would hand over a pile of cash, and it was burning a hole in their pocket.

I think we are about to see a slow death to all brands involved.

In a way, this generates closure for a couple of storied brands that need some "refocusing".

MD hasn't behaved as though their heart was still in it for some time. SWA's heart is in it and it definitely shows.

Neptune has had a lot of misses lately and doesn't enjoy market leadership beyond the controller (power heads 5th place? Return pumps 6th place? Lights 5th place? ATO 4th place, Atofeeder 4th place?).

In this regard I think the merge could actually be good for Neptune products. Refocus on controllers/lighting/testers, and discontinue some of the products you OEM'd from non-mkt leading players

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I saw no advantage to MD, and Neptune becomes a liability. Im sure Ecotech wont mind if they don’t get that BRS Recommended on the Vortech, Vectra or Radion, because Neptune COR, Sky etc get that ranking.

Ecotech is the clear vertical to me, but I'd bet the pricing wouldn't be attractive to anyone that could be enticed by the MD/Neptune deals.

Any deal for a controller is a head scratcher to be when almost all controllable hardware comes with an app now.

An interesting mixed move might be to buy Coralvue somehow depending the diligence.

I'm kinda hoping BRS was the Live Aquaria buyer but I would have thought it would be evident at this point

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After thinking a bit, if i was them I'd nab Red Sea next. That would expand their portfolio with Tanks, Skimmers, Test Kits (beyond the Trident), Aminos and other supplements. Although they would then have some duplicates (Red Sea Lights/Neptune Sky, Gyre/Wav, DOS/ReefDose, etc). Although it's possible (probable) I'm wrong and they get end up with something like ORA, Biota, LiveAquaria, or just a random wholesaler, who knows.

Last edited:

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New home construction fell19% in June with an expected 3% growth. 6 months from now when free money stops rolling out from the Cares Act, folks gotta get back to work. The economy is going to slow, inflation will continue and chip/supply shortages will continue. That means as new pandemic reefers start shutting down tanks, hobby growth will go back to normal. Combine that with lots of used gear entering the market, the investors may not be happy with slowing of growth. The other question marks will be how the manufacturers view the conflict of interest if they have products that compete with Neptune products.

shop- Premium Aquatics.com, Saltwater Aquarium.com, & Aquacave.

GHL and CoralVue controllers are both excellent products, and not Made in China trash like the Apex.

Ecotech and Kessil make lighting that is trusted by Coral Farms and has construction quality that is far superior to the Sky , obvious to anyone who compares them side by side.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe BRS can teach Neptune some basic lessons in customer care. I have never dealt with a worse group of people when trying to get tech help with the Apex.

Constant passing the buck.
I don't deal with Apex, so I don't care if BRS buys them. I was ranting in a thread about manufacturers holding customers data hostage, this bugs me to no end, and was using Apex as an example, and another (Apex) user posted about their experience where Apex contacted them and threatened to brick their controller if they did not stop accessing an Apex API to interact with their Apex hardware, lol. The techie in me cringed when I heard that!!

As for the BRS merger with Marine Depot, just after it occurred, I was in a LFS and the owner was lamenting it and concerned they (BRS) would take over the market in Canada. I laughed and told him, no worries, no Canadian will ever deal with BRS twice. They will order once (like I did), and then never order again once they realize that BRS's short sighted method of offering service in Canada is to add a surcharge on all Canadian orders to account for shipping and taxes. The surcharge ends up being way more expensive than if they would simply charge the actual taxes (or let the courier company do it for them) and charge for delivery using one of the services that specializes in cross border shipping. So as long as BRS implements 'solutions' like this, my local LFS owner has nothing to worry about.

Dennis

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand why everyone says they want to jump ship before BRS does anything different then they have been doing. Everyone compares them to Amazon like they are the worst...meanwhile we all shop on Amazon for all sorts of things and enjoy the shipping, price, and selection their size allows us. If BRS starts changing price, customer service, etc then I get it, until then its business like usual.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs will start to feel the heat to get a return on that investment. And the ones who invested are the ones going to turn up the heat. Hopefully Ryan can handle the heat and doesn’t bow to the pressure and make decisions that will suck for the hobbiest. Honestly I can’t see how they will escape the fire

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything Neptune sells besides their controller is crap. Maybe this will change that?

Although I really hope Coralvue steps up and takes advantage of the dislike many of us have of BRS. They're not the only game in town.
Maybe they will refocus Neptune to their core product and get away from lights/power heads and back to monitoring and control.

improved customer service might be the biggest benefit to us Neptune users

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please for the love of god can I get a Trident that tests nitrate and phosphate?
Whoaa whoaa slow down there. How about first we get to the point that after changing reagents cal and mag doesn't increase by 100ppm requiring you to submit a ticket and jump through hoops each time. Then in the end of it all still not knowing where the hell your cal and mag levels truly are lol.

kcschwabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's have a poll on who we think they will acquire next
Ok so I’m new to the Bobbie but I am familiar with brs, Neptune , etc. my question is , you say let see who they acquire next is this a thing brs does or is known to do and if so who have they acquired in the past

kcschwabe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m new to the Bobbie but I am familiar with brs, Neptune , etc. my question is , you say let see who they acquire next is this a thing brs does or is known to do and if so who have they acquired in the past
Bobbie = hobbie in my native language lol ...

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt this was coming for some time when BRS got the capital infusion. I recieve daily promotions from BRS pushing only Neptune products, there had to be a reason for it. All-in-all I would say it's bad for the hobby when BRS becomes the only place to shop. Competitors help keep costs in line, and as we all know the market understands we're all suckers for the latest toys in this cost be danged hobby. :)

I'm sure the R&D and tooling costs are very significant based on volume of products sold, but that being said, with initial outlay costs aside, the cost to manufacture a Neptune Sky is little more than a Viparspectra fixture. (I spent 38 years as manufacturing engineer).

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back