BRS Dual Reactor help

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello R2R,
I have a question. My reactor has been working fine since I purchased it back in September 2017.
I have the older version with the Maxijet pump: GFO & CARBON REACTOR - DUAL WITH MJ1200 PUMP
on my 150 I could see the Carbon and GFO do a light tumble. I would at least know its moving around and could see the tumble just fine. Now on my 210, nothing moves the pump is still drawing water as I can see both canisters are filled. Now I know I will not see the carbon tumble because I have to use nearly 2 cups for my size system but the gfo does nothing either. Should I replace the entire reactor or pump? I am at a loss because I need to see some type of tumble to satisfy my eyes so I know its working. My phosphate you ask? it is at 0.07 currently. but I find my self having to dose Phosphate Rx because feeding twice a day makes the po4 go pass 0.10 sometimes. Wait you also ask is my water clear? yes but I also run a UV. Thanks for asking. :)

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just replace the pump with a Sicce 1.5 or 2.0.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder would the sicce 2.0 be to much since it’s 568 opposed to the 357 on the 1.5

You can dial the Sicce 2.0 back if you need to. My guess is that the increased amount of carbon is too much for the pump to push through effectively. The 1.5 should work tho.

Other question is, when did you last do maintenence on the maxijet? It might just need a good cleaning.

Also your carbon shouldn't tumble, only the gfo should.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, you can always install a valve to control the GPH of a Sicce 2.0.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can dial the Sicce 2.0 back if you need to. My guess is that the increased amount of carbon is too much for the pump to push through effectively. The 1.5 should work tho.

Other question is, when did you last do maintenence on the maxijet? It might just need a good cleaning.

Also your carbon shouldn't tumble, only the gfo should.
I clean the maxi jet every two weeks as part of my maintenance when I do water changes and actually swap the carbon. But because of the increased amount the 1.5 or 2.0 sounds great and I could dial it back.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I want to go with the Sicce 2.0 but the reactors use 1/2" Push Connect fittings.
the sicce 2.0 comes with Outlet: 3/4" Female NPT or 3/4"-1" Hose. Unless I am missing something I will need to reduce? What should I use to connect to the 1/2" Push Connect fitting?
Thanks for all of your help

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need a 1/2” hose barb x 3/4” MPT reducing fitting. It’s the 4th one down.

490118 1/2-3/4 - Inch Insert Reducer

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a valve on the carbon side so the flow through the carbon wasn't taking away from the flow through the GFO which you want to tumble.

Of course up scaling to the sicce 2.0 helped immensely, and allowed me to just valve the flow from the entire reactor.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You will need a 1/2” hose barb x 3/4” MPT reducing fitting. It’s the 4th one down.

490118 1/2-3/4 - Inch Insert Reducer
Thank you so much.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I installed a valve on the carbon side so the flow through the carbon wasn't taking away from the flow through the GFO which you want to tumble.

Of course up scaling to the sicce 2.0 helped immensely, and allowed me to just valve the flow from the entire reactor.
Can you take a pic i want to see your reactor setup. Thanks.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I no longer use that reactor as I just use the BRS mini for carbon. No need for the GFO. So sorry no pics of the setup, but I'll try to explain it the best I can.

I ended up splitting the reactor into 2, just because of the issue your seeing. Just used a T fitting to push water to both reactors instead of one input pushing through the GFO first. I felt it ran better this way. And you can put the valve on the GFO side so you can adjust the flow for a slight tumble.

When I switched to the sicce 2.0, I just put the valve on the entire pump into the T fitting. I also reverse plumbed it so the water pushes up through the GFO(does this already), but down through the carbon so it does not tumble.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back