BRS Dual Reactor Phosphate media?

Alarsen77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just bought the BRS dual reactor and a maxijet 1200 pump. I am running RowaPhos in it now but I don't get much movement from the rowaphos with the pump running wide open, I ran it with one filter pad above the rowaphos and just the small filter on the bottom cap below it and got some movement from it, but now i noticed almost no movement and tested the water returning to the sump and the phosphates were just high as in the tank if not higher so i replaced the media but noticed when i took the cartridge out the water didn't flow through the bottom cap freely so i rinsed it and think the water is flowing better now, but noticed the foam on the bottom cap is starting to just be holes through the bottom so i put the second pad in under the rowaphos so it doesn't leak out of the bottom of the cartridge and i am getting no movement from the rowaphos, do i need to buy a new cartridge already? I have had it up and running since friday night. Should I be running a different media than rowaphos? I have heard good things about rowaphos but figure if i can't get any movement out of it and it is just sitting still then there is really no point in having it in the reactor, however there has to be some water flow cause i have a constant stream returning to the tank. Just a little concerned and new to using a reactor and looking for some advice.

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a brs dual with ROWAphos and ESV GAC. No problems at all.
2 pads on the bottom of the ROWAphos cartridge, and the GAC section I push the GAC to the top and use the second pad to hold it there..

Do you have the cartridges installed with the screw cap towards the bottom?
Do you have the left side line of the unit hooked to the pump and right side as the outflow?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Alarsen77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the screw cap is at the bottom, my reactor is the older design even though my lfs got them a couple months ago. It has the blue canisters and older style cartridge, also the inlet for the pump is on the right side and outlet on the left. It says in and out all across the rope I the unit. Like I said idk why I am getting no movement from the rowaphos

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a dual BRS - with BRS HiCap GFO and ROX 0.8 GAC. It works very well, just the top and bottom sponges and set the MJ1200 so the surface of the GFO gently "rolls".

One key I learned - if you restrict the water flow through the MJ, it will heat up and the magnet and shaft will calcify/seize much faster than normal. Use the aeration fitting that came with the pump and allow water to flow through, bypassing the reactor. This dramatically extends time between cleanings for the pump.

OP
OP
A

Alarsen77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have the ball valve wide open so there is no restriction on the maxijet. That's why I'm confused why the rowaphos doesn't roll. Is the media too heavy?

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used Rowaphos, so I can't comment. I switched to Hi-Cap GFO as only 1/2 cup is needed (for my tanks) making it easier to tumble using only about half of the MJ1200 output. If you've got a steady stream returning to the tank, it's not a blockage issue. How much Rowaphos is in the canister?

Last edited:

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same here as calmseasquest. i'm running hi-cap GFO and ROx 0.8 carbon with a dual reactor. i do have a container of D-D rowaphos i'll be using once i run out of the GFO. i don't have any problems with mine tumbling.

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have the ball valve wide open so there is no restriction on the maxijet. That's why I'm confused why the rowaphos doesn't roll. Is the media too heavy?

When you have the canisters off, and look into the underside of the caps, the water should flow in the outside and out the center.

Please post a pic of the underside of the caps..

I run a dual BRS - with BRS HiCap GFO and ROX 0.8 GAC. It works very well, just the top and bottom sponges and set the MJ1200 so the surface of the GFO gently "rolls".

One key I learned - if you restrict the water flow through the MJ, it will heat up and the magnet and shaft will calcify/seize much faster than normal. Use the aeration fitting that came with the pump and allow water to flow through, bypassing the reactor. This dramatically extends time between cleanings for the pump.

I had that problem also. Also added a lot of heat to the tank. I now have me reactor tee'd off my return pump.

I've never used Rowaphos, so I can't comment. I switched to Hi-Cap GFO as only 1/2 cup is needed (for my tanks) making it easier to tumble using only about half of the MJ1200 output. If you've got a steady stream returning to the tank, it's not a blockage issue. How much Rowaphos is in the canister?

You love the ROWAphos, a little messy because its fine, but works great.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Alarsen77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at work right now and won't have time to send a pic till later tonight or tomorrow. But the cap is at the bottom of the canister and the water flows down the side of the canister up through the bottom of the cartridge and out the center of the top of the cartridge.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back