BRSTV investigates, Chaeto/refugium idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Therapist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you guys have established that the Kessil H380 is the king of the refugium. I would like to see nutrient uptake data in relation to lighting schedule. Some recommend using a 24 hr, some 18 and some reverse daylight. Any clear winner? Then as an expansion of that study I would love to see the effects of harvesting. Again some say they prune from basketball to softball, other say watermelon to basketball others never trim unless they observe a die off. So much free advise out there that I really appreciate your series. You have become my ONLY source of supplies because of it!

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great idea for testing! I wish we still had the test tanks setup to take a stab at figuring this one out. I'll definitely add it to the Investigates idea board to see if we can get to it sometime in the future. :)

-Randy

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see some other lights to compare the h380 to. I LOVED the experiment and you think that you proved that more light is better. I don't think you setup a fair control for wattage however. I think people left feeling that the h380 was the be all end all of refugium lights (like the original poster mentioned).

It was the best of the lights tested but it was also like three times the wattage. Would it outperform three PAR38 bulbs, or ten CFL bulbs? If you adjust for wattage used and made all factors even, does the h380 still outperform with wattages being equal?

I'd also love to see it compared to other lights you sell, expanding on the idea of matching your fuge lighting power to your display. How does a Hydra 26HD grow cheato when set to a similar spectrum? When set to a reef spectrum? What about some t5s growing cheato?

I think a watts to watts comparison would be helpful. It might also be worth expanding the BRS carried products to include some of the popular led lights from the horticultural world. Browsing those forums there are many LED lights that are as tried and tested, proven performers as metal halide bulbs are to us.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some recommend using a 24 hr, some 18 and some reverse daylight. Any clear winner?

A bump and an upvote for this idea - seems like there's always conversations about this in the reef chemistry forum and nobody has any hard data above and beyond "this is what seems to work for me".

darinsmall86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all work so hard at keeping our reef tanks pest free. A video on the best way to ensure the Cheato we are using is pest free without killing it would be great a well. Is a coral dip going to work well enough or should we be doing a full Qt on the Cheato before it hits our display tanks.

Heavysledz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would like to see some long term results on the project or link to a thread that has them.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would like to see some long term results on the project or link to a thread that has them.

This Chaeto experiment has evolved into running testing on a fully stocked and mature reef tank, which is our very own BRS160. We should have an update coming in the near future, but if you wanted to check out our last update, you can see how the Chaeto was working in our 10weeks on Triton update HERE. :)

-Randy

Heavysledz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Chaeto experiment has evolved into running testing on a fully stocked and mature reef tank, which is our very own BRS160. We should have an update coming in the near future, but if you wanted to check out our last update, you can see how the Chaeto was working in our 10weeks on Triton update HERE. :)

-Randy
Thanks Randy....I watched that video along with many others....what a great source of information! You guys are awesome...keep up the great work and information sharing!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.7%
Back