Bryce's 150 rescue thing build!

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! So I've been gone for a while but I think this is a fun come back for me. So if you know me you know I have a two year old zebra moray eel and a one year old foxface, both are getting pretty big, though eel will be fine in there for a few more years but might as well get this out of the way now!
zoom.jpg

(He's almost two feet now)

So I found a really good deal on Craig's list, a 150, with stand, and a full sump, how could I refuse?
So I have to say it's not in great condition, I don't have a picture of bringing the stand but it stunk of cigarettes and beer.
tank pick up.jpg

As you can see it was very dirty upon initial pick up, if you can't see on the back there it was a weird rubber spray thing for a background. So first I had to get all this dirt and water out, simple enough, then using a razor I got the black stuff off but there was an adhesive I had to get off. First though I decided to focus on the stand, the smell was so bad. Firstly I took off all the weird extra things he had on it, then fully sanded it down, then I started staining
staining start.jpg

doors done.jpg

(doors done)
Now I needed to get that algae off
cleaning stuff.jpg

for that I used simple vinegar and Mr.Clean magic erasers
clean side.jpg

I must say it worked perfect
dirty view close.jpg

(here's the other side for reference)
Now it was time for that adhesive
thinner.jpg

for that I used standard lacquer thinner only on the middle and not the wood and seams
cleaned edge.jpg

worked well
sump.jpg

(here's the sump no pump or anything)

Now here's the planning stage! Right now this is what I'm thinking of doing very shortly
dirty back.jpg
1568430414639.png

I plan to put custom side overflows from melves reef on it

my biggest issue right now is lighting for this monster.... if anyone has light fixtures they don't need please let me know, I'll give you a fair price and I'll fully pay for shipping. Buying them new is so so pricey!

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to keep us updated :) ps we love photos
will do! Buying more magic erasers tonight (it's just so dirty)
I'll take a photo every session when I'm done with something, hoping to finish both sides of the stands tonight or get all that adhesive off, maybe I'll do both, not getting home too late tonight I'll post an update. I really wish I can get this done by Tuesday, that's my goal might be sooner might be much much later!

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, I need some help now. What should I be doing for bracing? The original owner had these metal braces that just got rusty, I'm not a fan of how it looks. I would go braceless if the tank wouldn't bow, but looking at stuff I saw something called euro bracing? I noticed this is mostly on rimless but could this work on mine?
1568490611899.png

(photo is not mine)

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also saw people making middle braces out of glass, could I do this? I plan on having a cover but there won't be a hood so I would like the look of a clean and clear top

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any experience with bracing tanks but I know Rico’s aquariums used eurobracing
what size was that?
I also know this one was custom made by last guy so the glass is thicker but I'll need to do calculations

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
side 1st coat.jpg

first coat on on side of the stand
done side.jpg

this is the finished side, well for stain coats still have to put finish on everything
nearly finished.jpg

I cleaned off pretty much all of the side, tomorrow night I will wash it all down with a hose and then wash the bottom. I haven't done the bottom yet because nothing has been encrusted.
Thoughts so far?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
side 1st coat.jpg

first coat on on side of the stand
done side.jpg

this is the finished side, well for stain coats still have to put finish on everything
nearly finished.jpg

I cleaned off pretty much all of the side, tomorrow night I will wash it all down with a hose and then wash the bottom. I haven't done the bottom yet because nothing has been encrusted.
Thoughts so far?
Looking good

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adhesive is all gone! Someone at home was messing around trying things. Told me he let it soften with the thinner for about ten minutes then he just did what I did for the black backing and just used a knife. Told me it worked perfect, excited to get off of work and see it. He told me about it last night, wasn't sure it would work but I was going to try it tonight, guess he couldn't wait until I'm done with work! Going to hose it all down tonight

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrapped off the rest of the build up after soaking the vinegar in
Then tonight I sprayed down the whole tank with a hose then used a shopvac to get it all out
water sucking.jpg

The tank is pretty much done now!
done!!!!!!.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I'd go with the euro bracing myself also, easy to do, very clean.

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not doing Euro, I don't think it will work on that tank going with something like this
1573410258512.png

also my custom overflows came! just need to attach them!
1573410334732.png
1573410349019.png

1573410369770.png

Back