Bryopsis and magnesium

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have small patches of bryopsis popping up in my tank. I’ve been feeding pretty heavily to get my nutrients up, but a couple of different pest algaes have started growing as well. I’ve used fluconazole before which killed a few of my acros, so I’m not willing to try that again. I’ve read that raising Mg up may kill it as well. My current Mg with salifert test it 1124ppm. I never dose Mg, just do weekly 10% wc with Red Sea blue bucket. Most Mg supplements aren’t really meant to raise Mg by more than a few ppm besides Kents Magnesium M. Has any used this to treat bryopsis and is it safe?

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump

1124 seems a bit low for Mg; I'm pretty sure that NSW is somewhere around 1280. There are plenty of Mg supplements that definitely raise levels by as much as you want, but pretty sure it's best to keep changes under 50ppm per day.

I'm currently dealing with bryopsis in several areas right now and have fluconazole, but I'm putting off dosing it. Elevating Mg seems like a mixed bag and I think it all depends on what other livestock you currently have.

OP
OP
C

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a pretty concentrated Mg supplement to boost it up a bit. Finally got it to 1200. Weird that it’s so low. Maybe I got a batch of salt that’s low Mg. Hopefully the salifert kit is correct.

OP
OP
C

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere near 10 years ago people had success raising Mag to kill bryopsis, but it was using Kent, and it was an impurity in their mix, as far as I remember.

As far as I know, raising Mag doesn't kill it
off.

Ya I found that Kent tech m is a possible treatment because it has some heavy metal in it, but I thought that it is the increase the Mg plus that heavy metal.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also heard the benefits of elevated mg. My LFS just did a video on dosing Mg, he liked to have this as high as like 1500. Says it helps with LPS. Store here called Fragbox. Check it on YouTube. He doesn't get into the specifics of the benefits of using Mg to treat certain algae, but he does mentions thats one of the uses.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere near 10 years ago people had success raising Mag to kill bryopsis, but it was using Kent, and it was an impurity in their mix, as far as I remember.

As far as I know, raising Mag doesn't kill it off.
Have used Kent on a few tanks to get rid of bryopsis. It works. Have to get it up to 1500-1600 slowly and keep it there. Within a few weeks, gone.
Not sure if it’s the magnesium or the impurities, but haven’t noticed any ill effects

OP
OP
C

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. I really don’t want to use fluconazole. What about trying to outcompete it with phytoplankton like ocean magic? Or are there any critters that might munch on it? It’s still in it’s beginning phase. Something must be keeping it somewhat in balance still.

OP
OP
C

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is just a frag system. Could I just remove the rock and give a h2o2 scrub? I’ve done this before with just a brush for some brown algae. It never came back

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis is infuriating. I have one system (a nano) that has the trifecta - bryopsis, red flatworms and majano anemones. The flatworms can be syphoned out with weekly water changes, the majano can be killed with kalk paste (both of these options are only temporary as they find places to hide). But the bryopsis seems to be for keeps.

I'm currently using the Kent mag solution, but it does not seem to be affecting the bryopsis. I'll continue to raise the mag levels. At least the corals don't seem to mind, and in fact seem to be happier with the higher levels.

The only thing that's working so far is constant maintenance and keeping all tools, buckets etc. for this tank completely separate from my other systems so I don't run the risk of moving these pests into my other reefs.

I know where all of these pests came from, and I'm bitterly angry with the local reefer that broke down her system and sold me the rock and coral that had these pests on them without telling me. At least now I know why she broke down her system.

OP
OP
C

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I’ve tried a couple of less aggressive measures since it is in its beginning stage. I raised my Mg- to normal levels because it was low. I also beefed up my cuc and started dosing live phytoplankton hoping to outcompete bryopsis. sometimes I’ve gotten lucky with snails or seahare eating things they don’t normally touch. My seahare ate everything in the past including dinos. I got a few turbo snails and emerald crabs. Also started dosing KNO3 since my NO3 runs a bit low at 0.2ppm. Hopefully something will keep it in check. In the mean time, corals do seem to like normal Mg level, phytoplankton, and the little nitrate boost.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok iv been down this read see my build thread you will not win im using blue life flux rx right now day 4 and its about half gone mine started a year ago as a small patch and it will spread and take over your tank some tank vleaners will eat it again see build thread i was able to eliminate kt from most areas but at the base of coral and in small holes they could not get to it still was growning only faster so chocking the coral i tryed alocating the bryopsis to sutiable areas and letting it grow works but looks like crap and takes about 5 hrs a week trimming it with sizors like grass in the past i tryed mg raised just ng to 1650 150 over the 1500 everyone that used kents says works it does not raising or lowinger your nutrients will do absolutly nothing to the bryopsis it has the ability to catch organic natter and break it down it will eventually gwt to the point of either lossing a few corals to treatment or lossing the entire tank

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also tje dobrelbella (not spelled right) sea hare will eat it both that iv had did one died of old age the other latest ine has been rehomed since im killing it via other means

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most snails etc will not very very few thing will eat it and even then it will still soead as it grows roots bryipsis is actually a macro algae and can be comoaied to celerpa as far as hiw it grows vua a root system and the complextiy if its cell structure

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back